What's new

Noob needs help, Samsung LCD HDMI in/Optical out (1 Viewer)

jes5910

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
I have a Samsung LCD with 2 HDMI inputs and one Optical out. I am trying to use the HDMI inputs with my PS3 and my Toshiba HDDVD player and then come out with the Optical to my Yamaha surround rec. (it is an older model with only one optical in and one coax in which is used with my Charter HD DVR). The problem is when I hook it up this way I cannot get 5.1 surround(instead I get 2 channel stereo); I can get 5.1 surround if I run an optical cable directly from either the PS3 or the HDDVD player. I have read the manual for the TV and it does not say I have to change anything and I have looked in the menu settings also and have found anything that seems wrong. If I can't find a way to do this I guess I will have to use a switch to switch between the different optical lines from each component manually till I can buy a new surround rec. but had rather use the TV to do it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Jay, welcome to HTF!

Unfortunately This cannot be done on most HDTVs. They no not "pass" a DD5.1 signal (although they may pass DD2.0).

You need to connect the PS3 and HD DVD player directly to the A/V Receiver to get DD5.1 sound.

The digital audio outs on most TVs are designed for the internal ATSC/QAM tuner only and are not designed to pass DD5.1 from the inputs.

jes5910

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Thanks I look forward to learning.... I guess my use of the optical out was wishful thinking. Do you think the idea of the optical splitter/switch would be ok? Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks