What's new

Noob looking for beginning suggestions (1 Viewer)

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone, my name is Mark, and I believe I am a future HT addict. I am getting the itch for a better greater gaming/viewing/listening experience as far as music/movies/gaming goes.

I have a price range of 1000-1200$ and was looking at several HTIB systems.

I first was looking at the JBL Cinema Propack 600-II with DVD changes, receiver, and speaker system.

I was also taking a look at a HTIB Onkyo system (HTS760) that was void of a DVD player but seemed to be a good value.

All of these seemed to be much under my budget, then I found a deal at my local Tweeter dealer: Denon/Mirage surround sound. It wouldn't give me model numbers for the receiver or for speakers, but it was 999.99 and the link is here.

Tweeter also had a Denon/Mirage deal with bipolar speakers, but was an extra 500 bucks. That deal is here.

If the bipolar deal is really significantly better, I might budge for it.

But none the less, budget of 1000-1200 dollars, suggestions critisizims welcome, thank you for your time.

-Mark-

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
UPDATE

The speakers that come with the omnipolar Mirage/Denon system are the AVS500 and the Denon receiver is the AVR2803. After research it seems to me like this Mirage/Denon system might be my best bang for the buck. Please post responses, thoughts, or ideas for the 1000-1200 price range. Thanks again.

Sathyan

Second Unit
My brother has Mirage omnis in his 2-channel system (Roksan, MusicHall, Project, Straitwire IC) and it sounds great. (NB: Great does not always mean accurate).

One concern I would have in a multichannel system is imaging - does the omnipolar nature of the loudspeaker confuse the imaging of discreet channels?

You need to listen to these in person. Tweeter has good return and trade-up policies.

If I was in your position I would get the Denon/Mirage. The Onkyo HTiB is good bang for buck but if you can afford to spend more for the Denon/Mirage I don't think you'll regret it.

Sathyan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
After seeing and listening to the about to be released ELT speaker system from AV123 at Dallas a couple of weeks ago, they have become my favorite in this price range. They come at at $900, only leaving $150 each for a DVD and receiver, which is doable, but you should plan on upgrading them in the future. Another option would be start with the two main speakers and center to begin (I think $500) and add the two surround and sub as your budget allows.

I’ve listened to these quite carefully and they are very find at this price point. And I think the best cabinet workmanship that I’ve seen (at this price point).

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to find this ELT system anywhere, when is it going to be released and I need more information... do you work for them or some such? I read good things on that forum you linked me to, but it seemed like they were all biased AV123 fans.. I would like some tech specs and such before hopping into the ELT bandwagon.. Thanks, still looking for more suggestions to make a informed decision.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I currently own some Rocket speakers—but I have owned many different speakers in the past.

I don’t work for AV123, nor do any of those (except Sean, Steve and co) who post on that forum. For the most part those posting own products made by AV123 and are satisfied customers, so as you indicate, they are somewhat biased.

My comments on the ELT system are based on my listening at an AV123 road show in Dallas, where they were being demonstrated. This was in a hotel suite, likely not ideal conditions. I did not have a chance to A/B them against anything else. But to my ear (and I well understand that it is very hard to make accurate comparisons without being able to A/B) these represent the best value for money (for HT) on the market today (limiting to system in this price range that I have heard). Certainly the cabinet work is in a class by itself (again at this price point)

One reason that you tend to read such enthusiastic comments on the AV123 forum, is that Mark and his staff are so involved with their customers and with sound reproduction. They are all quite knowledgeable and are a pleasure to work with and to get to know. It is not often that a company president will take time out of his schedule to demonstrate one of his products to a single person who is not going to buy that product. And who will talk about the design philosophy behind that product (as well as his other products) and why certain choices were made.

All of this by way of explanation as to why I tend to recommend some of the AV123 line. At least to the point that they make products worth considering. Of course there are some other companies that also make fine products—ones that I would be pleased to own. Right now I think that both Ascend and Axiom make products worth considering, although I have not heard each and every speaker in their lines. I am not aware that either has an offering that competes with the ELT.

You will note that I have mentioned internet companies. A year ago I would not have considered buying speakers from an internet company. I have since changed my mind.

MarkMaximus

Stunt Coordinator
My new plan for a system is as follows:

AVR 525 receiver for 629.00
Pair of JBL S26 Bookshelfs for 155.00 (surround)
Two JBL S312II 12" Floor spkrs 376.00 (for pair)(mains)
JBL SCenter 123.00

Long term plans for a SVS sub, but I figure the floorstanders will suffice for bass for the time being.

Comes out to 1283.00 before shipping, I think my hesitant shipping total put me somewhere right around 1400.

More suggestions critisizims and completely other alternatives for 1400$ more than welcome.

Still in search of the most ideal system, and Lew you have had some GREAT ideas, and I really appreciate them. But I think the other options we discussed don't have the same price point as this system, my original budget was 1k and I'm already surpassing that..

Anyone have another 2 cents?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks