What's new

Non DVD picture calibration (1 Viewer)

Artis Hall

Grip
How are you calibrating your cable picture? Of course my Avia disc works to calibrate my 480i/p input to the DVD player but how are you using that on the other input the HD box is on? Are you just copying the settings over to the 1080i input? Seems that this is using your DVD settings for your HD box and would be incorrect IMHO. Any insight?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Copying the settings over is a good place to start. There is no best setting for cable or satellite ... HD or not.

Regards

Artis Hall

Grip
Ok, that makes sense Mike (I was hoping you would answer) I just kept hearing others refer to calibration on cable/sat/HD pictures so I figured I would ask. Thanks :emoji_thumbsup:

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I have been thinking about hooking my DVD player to my DirecTV HD receiver and using that with Video Essentials as a starting point for my HDMI input. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble and will be any better than just starting with the settings from the 480p component input the DVD player is connected to.

As has been pointed out in other threads, the variation is so great from channel to channel and even shot to shot that it really seems like getting a "stable" setting for even black level and contrast may be a lost cause. It's really frustrating to have to do constant tweaking that I seldom had to do with my analog set. The OTA HD channels and the DirecTV HD channels look pretty good with not a lot of tweaking needed, but everything else tends to look pretty bad and I find myself constantly adjusting color and tint and often black level/contrast.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I used DVE to calibrate my DVD settings, copied those over to the satellite, and then adjusted them by eye while watching various programs.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I did mine and it seemed to have effected all the inputs. Am I wrong. (pana pt-53wxd63). I use the same mode on all sources. I will have to set all my settings again after sat, I have a person coming to ajust my set. I have a red bar next to the green when centering the green with the screen. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=191982

Maybe he will be nice and show me if I have done it wrong.:)

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator

The Panasonics let you select a different mode for each source. The first time you switch to a different picture mode on a given source, it will always switch back to that mode whenever you switch to that source. I use Cinema for DVD, Standard for HD, and Vivid for satellite.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. Thats what I thought. I have noticed even with all my settings the same in each mode that standard and vivid are still a bit brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks