What's new

Nobody mentioned it yet? (The End of Plasma) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
cineMANIAC said:
This kind of throws a damper on my enthusiasm a bit but thanks for the heads up. I've heard about the honeycomb pattern but didn't know this particular set has this "issue". I do sit fairly close to TVs - always have - so now I'm thinking this will become a problem. Bummer about it not really being full 1080p. Oh, well - this will do until my next upgrade :)
Still beats most of the LCD displays out there, if i was you i'd try and see it in person or buy it from somewhere you can return it, maybe Amazon, also bear in mind it has no filter ( i think ) so it might act like a mirror during daylight hours.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Looks like LG is pulling the plug on plasma, as well.

I'm thinking of possibly picking one of the few remaining 60" sets out there. Has anyone compared the 60" Samsung 5300 or 5500 with the LG 60PB6600?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
OK, just got my new 60 inch plasma delivered and will have it set up in a couple of hours. This is a special moment for me because I've only been partially high-def since I got my first flatscreen TV in 2009 (a 50 inch 720p Panasonic plasma). I'm going full high-def with a larger screen so, I must ask, what should I use as a demo disc when I turn this sucker on? I want my first 1080p experience to be perfect. I've got a very varied collection so, please, recommend away. Lawrence of Arabia? Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Manos, The Hands of Fate? Thanks!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For me, watching a Pixar movie on the big screen never fails to deliver a stunning image. The Incredibles is high on my list, as is Finding Nemo.

If you prefer live action, Gravity will look stunning on a plasma thanks to the display's inky blacks (I shudder to think what that would look like on an LCD display).

Congrats on the new display!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Jason Charlton said:
For me, watching a Pixar movie on the big screen never fails to deliver a stunning image. The Incredibles is high on my list, as is Finding Nemo.

If you prefer live action, Gravity will look stunning on a plasma thanks to the display's inky blacks (I shudder to think what that would look like on an LCD display).

Congrats on the new display!

Thanks. I set it up last night and tested a few discs of varying quality and so far I'm thrilled! I've officially joined the "Full-HD" club :)

I had a bit of a hard time setting up the base. There's nothing in the manual that covers it so I consulted youtube. I guess Samsung just assumes everyone's going to figure it out. Anyway, the base is very poorly designed and I don't think it will withstand the weight of the TV. In my case, I won't be shocked if the set comes crashing down in the next few days - I only used two screws to attach the base to the plastic piece that holds the set. After I realized the mistake I tried detaching the plastic piece from the back of the TV so that I could attach the other 2 screws but it won't come off. I'm hoping anyone here who has this model (Samsung PN60F5300) can tell me how to remove the "backsplash". Thanks

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
cineMANIAC said:
OK, just got my new 60 inch plasma delivered and will have it set up in a couple of hours. This is a special moment for me because I've only been partially high-def since I got my first flatscreen TV in 2009 (a 50 inch 720p Panasonic plasma). I'm going full high-def with a larger screen so, I must ask, what should I use as a demo disc when I turn this sucker on? I want my first 1080p experience to be perfect. I've got a very varied collection so, please, recommend away. Lawrence of Arabia? Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Manos, The Hands of Fate? Thanks!
Congrats on the purchase! I would recommend "Ben-Hur". It was the first one I watched when I went from a 720P Panny plasma to a new 1080P Panny Plasma a couple of years ago. It was like seeing it for the first time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can't argue with the Pixar recommendation (or any of the others made here).

Not a feature film, but it would also be fun to pull a couple segments from the Attenborough BBC documentaries (such as Planet Earth).

Have fun!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
atfree said:
Congrats on the purchase! I would recommend "Ben-Hur". It was the first one I watched when I went from a 720P Panny plasma to a new 1080P Panny Plasma a couple of years ago. It was like seeing it for the first time.

Thanks for the recommendation - Ben Hur was a terrific choice. I was mesmerized all over again watching select scenes from the film in full HD. I'm like a kid in a candy store :D

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I dread the day my Panasonc Plasmas die. One is 4 years old the other is 2. I calibrated both sets when they were new. They continue to deliver outstanding pictures...far better than the LCDs my friends have.
I can sit at any angle in front of my plasmas and the picture remains the same. Do that with an LED or LCD and see what happens.

John

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Sky King said:
I dread the day my Panasonc Plasmas die. One is 4 years old the other is 2. I calibrated both sets when they were new. They continue to deliver outstanding pictures...far better than the LCDs my friends have.
I can sit at any angle in front of my plasmas and the picture remains the same. Do that with an LED or LCD and see what happens.

John

You may want to consider investing in an extra set before they become scarce, something I'm actually considering myself even though I just bought one. I paid $800 for my 60 inch Samsung, which is a steal IMO. Unless, of course, you're planning on buying one of those expensive 4K or curved screen TVs as your next upgrade. Personally, I don't think I'll be needing another new set for everyday viewing for a very long time as this one will suit me just fine. I'm NOT interested in LCD technology at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks