What's new

No sound from TV - only reciever (1 Viewer)

timH

Auditioning
Hello,

Somehow I pressed a button a while ago and lost the sound on my TV. What I would like to accomplish is to not always have the HT speakers on, and just listen to the sound directly from the TV. I know that I have to have the receiver on in order to do so, but for some reason I can't get it back. It did work at one point.

I've gone through the menu's on both the receiver as well as the TV but I'm having no luck. Also, I know that if I plug the cables directly from the Directv box to my TV it works. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Here's my equipment:

Denon 2308ci Receiver
Philips Ambilight 50" PN: 50PF9631D ??

Thanks for any assistance!

Tim

PS: I'm just using component cabling for now, not HDMI which I understand would allow the tv to run without the stereo being on.

kd7gvd

Auditioning
Real Name
Don
Hmmm I am having the exact same problem. I have a Phillips 42" plasma with a Yamaha A/V receiver but I am running it with an HDMI cable. I will be interested to hear from all the HT guru's on here.

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
Try to see if the cable box has a setting for putting the sound through the tv speakers on or off (it could have a compression/audio output/stereo output setting you could try to mess with) Other than that, try and see if there is a setting on your receiver for the audio on your "tv setting" or whichever you assigned it, if it is in fact an assignable output (hdmi/component/optical etc) and try to have a setup that runs via your receiver (hdmi) as well as the cable box to the tv (coaxial or digital). It should then just bypass if the receiver is not on at all.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Wait, you have to have more than just component cables. if you have components to your Denon, are you talking about all 5 connections, (red, green, blue (picture), red and white (Audio))? cause you should have red green blue and a digital audio out to your Denon. its the only way you'll get true 5.1 audio. then you should use the red and white audio outs from the dish box to your tv, separately to the same component input. this should solve your issue. if it doesn't, make sure your tv doesnt have its internal speakers turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks