What's new

No Rounders SE reviews? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm not seeing any at the major dvd review sites. I'm curious how the video quality is(given Miramax/Disney's latest efforts.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I preordered the disc before reading any reviews, since I figured the new anamorphic transfer would look just as good if not better than the current DVD I've got. Of course, with Miramax's track record lately, that wasn't exactly a safe bet.

It sounds like the extras are a letdown, and the new DVD inexplicably loses the trailer(an annoying trend with Buena Vista these days). I've still got it on the Canadian Good Will Hunting disc though, so no big deal.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the midst of reviewing this title but haven't had time to wade through the commentaries yet - hopefully I'll post mine next week. (Been going through a LOT of commentary-intensive titles recently, and honestly, Rounders was pretty low on that particular totem pole...)

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this yesterday and watched it without the commentary and then again with the pro poker player commentary.

The image looks quite good and is a big step up from the previous release for the simple fact that it's anamorphic. Admittedly, however, my eyes often don't catch a lot of the problems that others see, so YMMV. I watched it on a 53" Panny WS set, set up w/ DVE, so no pro calibration but better than average.

The pro poker player commentary was actually pretty good, but I watch and play a lot of poker so I guess it depends on the person watching. The 4 pros are Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, Chris Moneymaker, Johnny Chan, and Phil Helmuth. For those of you that know about these guys it should come as no surprise that Helmuth dominates the commentary but everyone participates (with Ferguson talking the least) and there's a lot less dead time than I thought there would be.

The rest of the extras were a bit of a disappointment, with the Holdem game and the other commentary being the only ones I haven't looked at yet. It's not that what I saw wasn't good, just that it left me wanting a lot more, and they were very short.

All in all though, it's definitely worth picking up if you like the movie for the anamorphic transfer alone. Since this is one of those movies that I can watch over and over it was a no brainer for me, especially since it was only $14.99.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So if you are a big fan of this movie as I am, is this new edition worth picking up over the current edition? And let me just say that I hardly ever, ever watch the extras. The only thing that makes me double dip is audio and picture quality. So is it worth it?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, definitely worth it. The anamorphic transfer alone should be a no-brainer. Plus the 2 commentaries.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thanks Paul, I guess I will be heading to the store today. Usually when I hear anamorphic compared to a normal widescreen movie it is a no brainer but just double checking. When I double dip I want to make sure it is worth it, especially since I am trying to cut down on my dvd buying. But when it is a great movie such as this, I won't mind buying it again.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Also curious as to what you guys paid for this edition. I just got off the phone with Walmart and they told me $9.50! Can this be true??????

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
That could be possible Jeff. The list is 19.99. Although they may be selling it at the price of the old release.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well I paid $13 or so I think. Watched this last night. Don't have the old edition, so maybe the sound mix is the same, but it was very good I thought, very active and the bass was stronger that would be expected. The jazzy score is really cool and comes through beautifully. Didn't have time for the extras, but listened to about first five-ten minutes of the commentary by the director, the writers, and Ed Norton (whom I love, and it's a great bonus having him in on this). From the limited time I had I thought this was a nice track, no real pauses, and good interesting info right off the bat (the one of the writers saying the idea for the film occured to him after he lost a bunch of money in an underground poker game).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Extremely entertaining movie which unfortunately contains John Malkovich's worst performance - that "Russian accent" is so over the top is makes me wince. Still worth a buy, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks