What's new

No Quinn Martin shows (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The only first season Mannix I ever saw was the pilot episode "My Name is Mannix". It makes zero sense why so many weren't syndicated. That also goes for much of the 7th season and all of the 8th as well.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
A few MANNIX episodes from the first season must have fallen into the public domain, because I've seen the pilot episode "The Name is Mannix," and "Skid Marks on a Dry Run," another early season 1 MANNIX episode on a compilation of public domain television episodes titled "T.V.'s Lost Shows" from Diamond Entertainment. See:

http://www.meritline.com/dvd-movie-t...s-edition.html

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I don't think Mannix has fallen into PD, although you never know. There were some episodes of Star Trek that didn't originally have copyright notices on them, which virtually means they can't be copyrighted but Paramount pushed through some BS that allowed them to do it.

The reason the syndication package for Mannix was 130 was that stations didn't want huge amounts of episodes for syndication. 130 allows a show to be stripped for 26 weeks, which is really all a station needs. The first season, which has run in Canada and overseas, is the best IMO. But because it is very different, Paramount probably felt it would be a good season to chop off. I believe there were 195 made, so they took 65 out.

Other shows with episodes missing from the traditional syndication packages:

Ozzie and Harriet - 435 made, 200 syndicated
Bonanza - original package consisted of only the first 6 seasons although other packages have since become available with later shows.
Donna Reed Show - 274 made, later cut by 100 for syndication, eliminating all of seasons 6 and 7.
Make Room for Daddy - 343 made, syndication package since the 1970s consists of 161, eliminating seasons 1-4, 10-11.
Wagon Train - only Ward Bond episodes
Rawhide - 217 made but cut down over the years
Jack Benny Show - over 300 made, package consists of 104.

I'm sure there are others but those come immediately to mind.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
My Three Sons - 380 episodes. None of the 184 b/w episodes and 36 of the color episodes (last season and a half)were syndicated until the mid 1980's when Nick At Nite started running them.

Gunsmoke - 635 episodes. None of the 176 b/w hour episodes were syndicated until the selected episode CBN broadcasts around 1986.

Jeff#

Screenwriter

I saw every single one of the hour-long GUNSMOKE episodes uncut and uninterrupted on The Westerns Channel in 2002-03, and saved most of them off-air on DVD-R discs too. In between programming on the channel, there were also a series of 2 minute segments "GUNSMOKE Memories", all of which were narrated by Dennis Weaver. They even interviewed a very old James Arness for a couple of them. :emoji_thumbsup:

I remember CBN Cable airing GUNSMOKE in the early 1980s. They had only 52 of the black & white episodes, and that only included 2 from the 1965-66 season, so getting to see all of them on Westerns Channel meant that a lot of them were being rerun in this century for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks