What's new

No Ordinary Family season 1 thread (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did a little reading up on Benz and Chiklis. They are attached to pilots, but there's no guarantee those pilots will be picked up. But if NOF does get picked up for a 2nd season, they'd drop out of those pilots.

So I'm optimistic there's a sliver of a chance for renewal.

The ratings are said to be low on this series, starting the season out strong, but it lost half of that audience over time. What I found interesting is a friend discovered this show via streaming. He really likes the series. So does the network now consider this method for measuring audience viewership? There's so many options now, TiVo too, that Neilsen seems so old school!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't forget: they struck the sets to make space for a conference. They won't rebuild them for a low-rated series. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it has no chance of returning.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
We're getting a new episode on Tuesday, but the following week's episode has been kicked from its slot by Dancing With the Stars and won't air until that Saturday. The finale then airs a week from the following Tuesday.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

The ratings are said to be low on this series, starting the season out strong, but it lost half of that audience over time. What I found interesting is a friend discovered this show via streaming. He really likes the series. So does the network now consider this method for measuring audience viewership? There's so many options now, TiVo too, that Neilsen seems so old school!

It lost viewers because, though it was a neat concept but the writing was terrible. Just terrible.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
To amend my earlier post, we get an episode tonight and another this immediate Saturday. I thought it was a week later.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Having Sara Bareilles felt like a sixth season out of gas stunt, but the rest was pretty good. Limited use of the always reliable Picardo, but I assume he'll either be back or was being considered for something bigger. What happened with Steph? Maybe she'll go back in time and undo King knowing about them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I knew it, Katie's situation! Actually, that was an interesting turn. Yeah, Stephanie's transformation will be interesting to see what becomes of that. I thought it was overall a good second to last show. Another turn too for them to wink at the audience too to say, yes we know you know Dr. King knows about us and we know about your powers Powell family.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
They hint at what happened to Steph in the preview for the next episode. This felt like one of the stronger episodes of the season. It is too bad the show is going to disappear.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm going to miss this show. I really enjoyed last nights episode especially the dealio with Katie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Vaughan Odendaal

So Katie has sex and then gets super powers ? Damn. A real incentive....with real benefits.

My understanding is that the fetus has super powers, not Katie. That's why the telekinesis only works sometimes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I almost missed last night's broadcast of NOF.

That was another well done episode. Everyone in the family contributed, probably one of the better times the writers got to the heart of the premise, a family working together to solve a problem. Poor Daphne, she didn't quite have a handle on her ability yet and wiped out the memory in her boyfriend of their relationship.

Glad to see there's one more show coming, I thought last night was it. The previews looked like they were setting up a pretty epic finale. Its coming together so much better then V did.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm afraid it's going to end on a cliffhanger, but it is what it is. If I had to nitpick last night's, I thought it was kind of dumb that Jim in the second go-round was still wandering through the crowd when he knew he was looking for a van. But, that's mainly holdover from me thinking he was dumb for not wearing a mask, but then he handled it in an intelligent manner by not only avoiding the camera, but simply opening the door like a non-powered guy would. Wearing a mask would have actually been pretty stupid at a gathering of cops.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I missed last night's episode and last I looked on ABC.com it wasn't there, but it appears to be on Hulu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/227350/no-ordinary-family-no-ordinary-future

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Poor Daphne, she didn't quite have a handle on her ability yet and wiped out the memory in her boyfriend of their relationship.

It was a good episode. Daphne never should have gone ahead with trying to wipe out the secret. She and the rest of the family knew how much of a violation that was when it was done to her and to Katie. She never should have gone ahead with it and so lost the whole relationship. I wish they had written her stronger in this respect.

Things have really been clicking these past two episodes and it is going to be a real shame that we are losing this series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Poor Daphne, she didn't quite have a handle on her ability yet and wiped out the memory in her boyfriend of their relationship.

I don't think it was a matter of Daphne not having a handle on the ability. Rather, it was getting the sense that there's something different about Daphne that first attracted Chris to her. Wipe out any inkling that there's something different about her, and you necessarily have to wipe out the entirety of the relationship.

While I feel really bad for Daphne, it was probably the right outcome anyway, since as Neil mentioned such a violation on top of such a secret is a hard thing to build a relationship around. If she'd managed to stay in the relationship with Chris, she'd basically be in the same place Joshua was with Katie -- albeit for more altruistic reasons.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by NeilO
It was a good episode. Daphne never should have gone ahead with trying to wipe out the secret. She and the rest of the family knew how much of a violation that was when it was done to her and to Katie. She never should have gone ahead with it and so lost the whole relationship. I wish they had written her stronger in this respect.

Things have really been clicking these past two episodes and it is going to be a real shame that we are losing this series.

I agree as to losing the series, its finally really starting to click. As to Daphne doing the mind wipe, I think she and her family justified their safety (based on the flash forwards) against the violation. Even though Chris apologized I think she realized that he had been pressuring her too often lately to use it for personal gain so that may have been the tipping point.

My only complaint with the episode is it seemed like there could be so much done with the future story arc that it should have lasted for at least two episodes. It felt like they were building and building and building, and then ended it rather abruptly. There were a lot of ways they could have extended it into another episode, granted there aren't a lot of episodes left....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Good points, both Adams. I thought Chris was pushing Daphne a lot recently and a bad influence. Her values were strong enough that she didn't go beyond cutting class more.

I am reminded of the series Now and Again with Eric Close and Dennis Haysbert and Margaret Colin. That had a great sci-fi premise and I liked how that series also nicely melded in the personal sides of the characters. It was so unfortunate that series got cancelled and on a cliffhanger as the main character finally seemed to get back his wife. I really liked that aspect of that series, after the guy is transformed onto another body, he can't reveal to his wife he's still alive.

And so this series seems on the brink or is pretty much over. Perhaps, based on the events of this recent episode, Joshua will return.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

And so this series seems on the brink or is pretty much over. Perhaps, based on the events of this recent episode, Joshua will return.
Next Tuesday is supposed to be the season (and probably series) finale unless ABC does a schedule change.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks