What's new

No Opening Credits: A New Trend? (1 Viewer)

william-scooter

Stunt Coordinator
Although done in another fashion or by someone else it wouldn't work, Raisin Arizona credits started what seemed like 10 minutes (maybe later)into the movie. But the opening was so agressive an eye popping it worked for me to settle you down and begin the more narrative part of the movie. That may be the latest that title sequence/opening credits run without going all the way to the end.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Yeh I thought the Seven credits were great. I didn't mind watching them. But I hated the days where it was almost just a black screen with names, then the movie started.

Shrek had nice opening credits also.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Saw Intolerable Cruelty yesterday. That had a great opening credit sequence. Very funny, very nice to look at (basically a bunch of cupids cut out of greeting cards doing various cupidy things - mending broken hearts with needle and thread, practicing their archery, etc).

Sometimes it's nice to watch a movie without a credit sequence. But when you get a good credit sequence, it really adds to the movie, and it would be a shame to lose that.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
After seeing all his films, I can safely say that no one does credits as well as Quentin Tarantino. They are so ordinary and they don't omit anything. They list everyone's name from the lead to the costumer's but the way he does it is so engrossing.

Reservoir Dogs: We will never see better cast credits than this. This one drenches in coolness with a Little Green Bag.

Pulp Fiction: Misirlou. Nuff said.

Jackie Brown: Pam Grier, standing and just embodying everything that is cool. Set to Across 110th Street and perfectly timed.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1: Bang Bang He Shot Me Down. Just simple white on black with a oddly numbered cast list upon first viewing. I love the "Guest Starring" title card. Then a single shot of Uma Thurman in a hospital bed.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World - brilliant film, and a great credit sequence by Saul Bass. I was laughing before the film proper even started.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There are many, m-a-n-y movies for which the opening credits establish an important emotional atmosphere. People are too impatient now. Personally, I miss imaginative credit sequences that put me in the mood. I could name dozens of films that would have not have been as effective for me had their opening credits not so carefully set me up for what was to follow. In fact, I think I will:

PSYCHO (1960)
ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU (1996 - superb titles, awful movie!)
IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD
any PINK PANTHER movie
Most JAMES BOND movies
DR. ZHIVAGO
7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD
Oh, Lord, the list goes on and on...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks