What's new

No Opening Credits: A New Trend? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
With films like Solaris (2002) and Punch-Drunk Love, it seems like starting a movie with no opening titles is becoming a uprising trend. Frankly I'm a fan of it. Of course both those films are considered art-housey and sometimes pretentious. What are some other movies without opening credits or without the traditional opening credits.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Pirates of the Caribbean had the title screen and then went right into the movie. Definitely a "wow" moment for me and my brother, we were expecting some sort of credits and were very happy that the film just started right away.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The Ring
Gangs of New York
Pirates of the Caribbean
Vanilla Sky??

Apocalypse Now didn't have any credits, but it's a much older film.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Every Spielberg film that I can think of. The film title at the beginning, everything else at the end.

M.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Catch Me If You Can had traditional titles Michael. Of course they were really cool traditional titles.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Catch me if you can had traditional titles Michael. Of course they were really cool traditional titles.
They were like a mini-movie -- a kind of tribute to the Saul Bass style. That's probably why they didn't immediately spring to mind. And that may be the only contrary example, with the possible exception of Sugarland Express, which I haven't seen for years. I'm pretty sure the Indie films, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park 1 & 2, E.T. and Schindler's List all had a single title at the beginning and credits at the end.

M.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
It didn't even have a title in the beginning, either. The title appears as grafitti on the wall during the film, but has no traditional sequence.
That is correct. Although the DVD has end credits, I was very pleased to see that the theatrical run for Redux in 2001 was true to the 1979 version and lacked credits completely.

SteveP

Second Unit
In 1968, producer Saul Chaplin and director Robert Wise put the entire main title for STAR! at the end of this three-hour long roadshow film.

Orson Welles' CITIZEN KANE and THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS(both edited by Robert Wise) in 1941 and 1942, respectively, had the titles spoken by Welles at the conclusion of both pictures.

Wise's WEST SIDE STORY(1961) like STAR! has only the title at the beginning, and the entire credit sequence at the end.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
The LOTR and X-Men films have nothing besides company credits, and flashy (but short) intros. Incidentally, they're my two favourite "franchises." I think The Matrix skipped on them as well.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Personally...I'm glad...I dont like to sit through 5 minutes of titles...just get on with it!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Color Purple is another Spielberg film that DOES have credits at the beginning.

John Doran

Screenwriter
Predator 2 and Lost in Space also had no credits.

personally, i loathe credits at the beginning of movies.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure the Indie films, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park 1 & 2, E.T. and Schindler's List all had a single title at the beginning and credits at the end.
Besides the title, E.T. also has the "major" credits at the beginning over the black screen with the incredibly creepy and cool Williams score playing.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I don't think "The Ring" even had the title at the beginning either. All I remember is the little Dreamworks intro. Am I wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks