What's new

No love anymore for Fox Blu-Rays (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I guess I lucked out. I just got into Blu-ray a week ago, having purchased the Sony BDPS-350. I also got the 6 Fox James Bond BDs, as well as the Fox PLANET OF THE APES 5-disc Collection... and they all seem to play well in the machine. There were some weird delays in getting the Apes films to the menus at first, though.

So am I right in understanding that somewhere down the line I'll have to worry that a future BD player may NOT accomodate my Fox titles??!??

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Joe, i have the same player. Its a fine machine. Like you say, it plays the Apes movies, but loads a bit slow. Compared to most movies, FOX titles are a little slow to start, but its full of JAVA stuff...so OK.
Any player could find a troublesome disc, even a PS3, if you dont keep up with the firmware. Anytime i see a new update, i get it, even if i dont have any issues.
I dont have my 350 hooked up to the internet, and to tell you the truth, i dont want to. I could care less about 99% of the BD Live stuff i read about, but thats me, others may love it!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Same here. I am still running the pre-Profile 2.0 firmware (version 007, ironically) and have not experienced any problems playing discs yet. I've tried all six of the Bond films with no issues. My copy of the original POTA film is in transit (I passed on the box set), so only time will tell if this disc presents any issues.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I am clueless when it comes to techno stuff like the firmware upgrades, whatever they are and however they work. And I don't care about "BD Live" and NEVER use my PC for movie stuff. So as long as I'm just watching Blu-ray movies on a stand-alone player, am I immune to these firmware needs?

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm a little down on Fox right now, and here's why. The night before last, I finally played From Russia With Love. It played successfully, but there were three HDMI handshakings every time I chose something from the menu. Play movie: HDMI check, HDMI check, HDMI check. Play trailer: HDMI check, HDMI check, HDMI check. Play documentary: HDMI check, HDMI check, HDMI check. View a picture in the picture gallery (are you kidding me?!): HDMI check, HDMI check, HDMI check.

It was very slow (much slower than a typical Disney disc, which does only one HDMI handshake per selection) and very annoying (much like this post). Keep in mind, I have a fairly fast player (Panny BD30).

-R

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Neither do I. I have no interest in the PS3 and never will. To the "solve all your playback problems by buying a PS3" idea, I say FUCK that. Either give me a way to play discs using my standalone player or don't bother marketing the format. I waited 2 1/2 years to buy a BR player, and I'll be damned if I'll accept the idea that exactly ONE player is able to play all discs. Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with my BD55. If it ever does have a problem, the LAST thing I want to hear is "buy a PS3". PERIOD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 is nearly universally regarded as the best player currently on the market so I don't understand the small group who seem to have such resistance to it. I don't really play video games either but the best Blu-ray player is still the best Blu-ray player whether it also plays 8 tracks or video games or whatever.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Do you understand "No analog outs"? Do you understand "doesn't fit my rack"? Do you understand " no simple way to be controlled by my Pronto"? Do you understand "I don't like the looks of it"? Do you understand "why the HELL should I have to share someone else's opinion"?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Joe, most of the firmware updates that come out now, are to fix player problems with discs. You would only need to worry about an update, if your player wont play a disc. Sony put out an update for my old Sony 300 so that it would load a few of the Bond films faster. Mine would play them, but it loaded really screwy. Some Sony 300s wouldnt play them. The firmware update took care of that. Iron Man was wonky on a few players too, time for a firmware update, or patch, if you will. They play fine now. Do what i do, keep an eye out for updates, e mail Sony for a free disc. You dont have to worry about burning one off. Sony will send you a disc for free, and the directions to load it are easy.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
On the Blu-Ray.com forums, people are very down on Samsung players, because their tech support is very slow and reluctant to issue firmware updates.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Do YOU understand YOU are not the ONLY person to whom "try a PS3" is aimed? All sorts of people come here and ask for advice and I'm afraid that if people list stability, compatibility, speed of disc access as well as a reasonable price--the PS3 WILL be offered as a suggestion. If people list the objections you have noted, then I presume the more level-headed among us will not proffer the PS3 to them as it will not meet their particular requirements. But to be so visceral in your comments about the PS3, in general, simply because it does not fit YOUR needs is, well, rather impolite as well as counterproductive.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I suggest it is impolite to imply that the PS3 is a "universal solution" to all playback problems ("I'm happy with it, therefore you will be too") when it is clearly not.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Who has REALLY done that? Who has stated, UNEQUIVOCALLY, that the PS3 is "universal solution"? I spent months researching players before choosing one and I had, on my original list of must haves, MCH analogue audio output, but upon further reflection, I chose to sacrifice that for the robustness of the PS3. I came across many, many posts who suggested the PS3 (games were not a consideration for me and I was not initially interested) was, for its price, a top contender. NO ONE told me that my concerns about its shortcomings were unimportant, only that if certain of my priorities (stability, speed and compatibility) were truly essential to me, then the PS3, on THOSE grounds, was the best option. I did see posts, not directed at me, claiming that concerns like mine (mostly about MCH analogue outputs) were not important--I ignored such posts as irrelevant to me. What I did not do is launch into an invective filled rant against the mere possibility of suggesting the PS3 is worth considering on several fronts simply because it did not fill my wants at the time. There are degrees of impoliteness and I think it clear which type of post is more impolite than the other.

In the end, the PS3 remains a machine that performs as well or better in MOST measures than any other player at any price point and remains a solid recommendation for anyone who does not fall into the category of YOUR specific objections (which would be the vast majority of potential buyers, by the way). If that annoys you, that's simply too bad. When people keep insisting to YOU, after you have explained to them (and are sure they are aware of) your particular wants/needs, then you can claim they're being "impolite". But to accuse them of such when they are recommending it as a potential player to people in general is errant nonsense.

For the record, no BD (from any studio, including Fox) has caused so much as a hiccup on my PS3. Judging from this and other fora, that is a claim that virtually unmatched.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

It may not be a "universal solution", but it's the only Blu-Ray player I would personally own at this point given all the issues with other players. It has yet to balk at a SINGLE disc I've thrown at it which is a claim I don't think can be made by any other player. Combine that with lightning fast load times, the best firmware updates out there and the ability to play games if you want to and that makes it the best available machine on the market right now. I tell everyone I know who wants to get into Blu-Ray that the best option for them is the PS3 and I wouldn't think for a second about suggesting anything else. Period.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't think anybody would say one size fits all. But IMO the PS3 has one big advantage over stand-alone players (and yes, I was a hard-sell too): it is a powerful little A/V computer designed around playing Blu-ray. In use, these advantages can be noticed IMO, they don't show up so much on paper. Sure the PS3 is a little funky-looking, and doesn't IR-integrate well as stock.

One perhaps minor advantage at this stage is choosing Sony for a BD player, and I am by no means a Sony fan-boy. They have their hands fairly tightly on the BD reins, and ought to know who's doing what, and are demonstrably quick at getting necessary updates out there. They have the most to gain, and also to lose otherwise. Bottom line is Sony's PS3 BD support/software people are very on the ball.

That said, you can choose the newest Sony BDPs and you will still read about minor glitches with some of the newest titles. Generally quickly fixed AFAIK. IIRC the only recent complaints about PS3 stuff is when the *studio's* BD-live/etc. stuff/server isn't up to snuff, and that would affect ALL BD players.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the PS3 is "virtually" the only BR player that operates without hiccups, that's a pathetic commentary on the format (by the way, contrary to your anecdotal claim of flawlessness, I have read of problems other people had playing discs on the PS3. Imagine that! It needed a firmware update, just like "mere mortal" players!). I don't care at all for the idea that those who choose to buy standalone players are being told in essence "don't bother with what you chose, get a PS3 instead". It's much more useful to talk about ALL players that don't hiccup (INCLUDING alternatives to the endlessly hyped PS3), either as is or via firmware updates.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nowhere did I say that it's the "universal solution". And despite your angry reply, I still don't understand your resistance to it. That being said, you can buy whatever player you want. However, that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 is still the best regarded player currently on the market.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If you can't understand why someone would need analog outputs, as well as the other objections I mentioned, then you apparently know little about home theater.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough, I understand the desire for analog outputs but I find the rest of your reasons silly. That being said, they're your reasons so you can base your purchases on whatever you want.

And I still never said the PS3 was a universal solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks