What's new

No "Jesus of Nazareth" in US this Easter (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
With all due respect, I think that story makes Powell come off like a total horse's ass. He should have been prepared to deal with the fact that this was a production that touched the lives of a good many people *because* of its religious content if he was going to engage in a publicity tour for it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've read other interviews with Powell, right after making the film, where he said the exact opposite. That playing the role did have a profound impact on him. So I'm not sure what the truth really is in this case. But if the Australian interview deal is true, I agree that it doesn't make Powell look good at all.

Gary "I remember this mini-series when it originally aired - I thought it was pretty good" O.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I didn't anticipate controversy in telling the story Robert Powell told me some years ago but I can assure you that it's true. I emphasised his respect for the project but maybe you don't emphathise with somebody submitting to endless repetitive interviews and then answering the same question multiple times because an inexperienced incapable interviewer is more interested in her own views than her subject's.

Don't you know that there are hordes of brainless tv & radio presenters clogging programmes?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No, frankly I don't empathize with him in this instance, especially since his initial answer revealed a distinct lack of tact on the subject. And my goodness, he's shocked, shocked, shocked that there might be people interviewing him who come from a religious perspective? I've never harbored any illusions about his own beliefs or even those of Max Von Sydow for that matter, but I've at least never had to read an instance of that kind of boorishness until now. That is my own personal take on the matter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think the story throws bad light on the interviewer rather than Powell. Powell appears to have used tact in answering the question but the interviewer apparently wasn't satisfied that someone could have such a opinion so asked the *same* question *SEVERAL* more times somehow expecting a different answer. No indication is given if it were a religions program and even if it were, his response is still valid. To me it sounds like he was being badgered by the interviewer who was looking for a "religious experience" due to his playing the role. He plainly stated he wasn't religious but made sure his performance was true to the nature of the production. The interviewer apparently couldn't believe someone in such a production playing the role of Jesus wasn't "moved" or "won over" by the portrayal. That's absolutely naive thinking.

For the record, I very much like this production and consider it to be one of the best tellings of the story of Jesus.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just finished my Holy Week viewing of Jesus of Nazareth.

I want to thank all in this thread who helped with the info which helped me make this order from Amazon.es. It made for great viewing this week. My wife and I watched it in the four installments as segmented on the disc (as it was originally broadcast).

Some beautiful photography. I'm guessing that was due to Zefferelli's participation. The transfer? Not so great. But I guess for a 70s TV production I am willing to cut it some slack. It looked rather washed out in parts. But the audio was rock solid and the Maurice Jarre score soared. And what a panoply of stars! Just amazing. The totality of the production easily overcomes the shortfallings (for me) of the video presentation.

I did receive the "corrected" disc (as described earlier in the thread): 2012 FILMAX HOME VIDEO. V2.0.

It was a comprehensive view of Christ's life, death and ascension. I suppose there isn't going to be a version of this story that isn't going to have us wondering about the artistic choices made over what to include and what to exclude. It was moving and faithful.

Again, thanks all.

And, Happy Easter! :biggrin:

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I'm not sure it was washed out. Franco Z. came from an artist's background. Much of the film is in pastels & earth tones that suits the era & also looks like a painting. It is consistent with his other films. Also, these were from a British print which is often timed differently. There are some old NBC promos on Youtube, and I'm actually glad it doesn't look like it did back then(in the U.S.) because it was a very thick and extremely dark image. One more thing, almost two hours of footage was reinstated in 1979. It was in rough shape.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I sat through the entire series on Good Friday and while part 1 was a bit of a slog to get through, the rest of the series (pts 2-4) pick up speed at a great rate and yes, if you are easily starstruck like I am, this series is made for you, an unbelievable lineup of stars.

My favorite was Rod Steiger as Pontius Pilate -- having been regailed by performances by some of the greats of stage and screen, like a missile, in comes Rod Steiger in full Method mode (with a touch of Napoleon in "Waterloo"), wiping the floor with everyone, including his fey assistant played by Tony Lo Bianco, figuring out it was the only way to make it out of these scenes in one piece -- but nothing could withstand Robert Powell's towering performance, certainly the best performance of Jesus on film (and I think I know this Australian interviewer from 1978, a stager of the highest order -- I think his approach was the right one to take)

Don't bother zooming this into 16x9 mode on your tv -- it won't work. When I saw it in theatres in 1978 it certainly wasn't in Academy ratio -- possibly this was shot open matte -- but I fear, like a lot of UK tv productions of the time, no matter how much money was spent, it was probably shot on 16mm for tv showings -- only the people from ITC and RAI would know for sure.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Got the Spanish 2.0 version. Great buy! On a side/related note...does anyone know if the sequel A.D. was released in its uncut form (9 hours) - preferaby Blu-ray? I know that a 6 hour edition was released on DVD in the US.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I hope to be able to afford this by the time of next year's Easter. This year I watched the Blu Ray of THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, which is anything but the greatest movie ever told, but it made for suitable holiday fare. I don't think I've ever seen a version of this story that I found unwatchable and in that sense agree with the title of George Steven's misfired epic.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i don't know about that Professor--

i looked at "killing jesus" and "the bible" jesus

episodes this season-- and to my mind, they were pretty bad!

actors with bad wigs and obvious false beards (in KJ).

these films are too fast paced for the material they are trying to cover.

too many jump cuts from jesus to the romans to jesus' enemies,

etc., and then back again.

no time for any characters to develop as in JON

also that horribly dull golden brown tint of most of the imagery.

closeups of jesus' extremely mangled & bloody face and body on

the cross.

all flash, no depth.

i got no spiritual uplift from these films.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
marcco00 said:
i looked at "killing jesus" and "the bible" jesus

episodes this season-- and to my mind, they were pretty bad!

i got no spiritual uplift from these films.

Yeah, I watched them as well and had to give "Killing Jesus" an F for a grade. It was just horrible on multiple levels. The other was slightly better, but for some reason they don't reach the same level as some of these more historic films/TV mini-series about the life of Christ we've been discussing in this thread.

Gary "didn't watch as much as I wanted to this Easter season, but I got a few things in" O.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Besides watching the Spanish Blu-ray of Jesus of Nazareth, I also checked out a goodly section of an under-rated (IMO) Jesus film ~ The Gospel of John. I started it too late to watch the whole thing, but will finish it this week. It's fairly low-budget, and lacks a "name" cast. But it has Christopher Plummer as the narrator and one of the best screen Christs in Henry Ian Cusick; who, more than any actor who has taken on the role, plays Christ with absolute confidence and assuredness throughout the movie. He plays the part as though he knows exactly what is going to happen beforehand, and he can see into the heart of everyone he meets.

The film is based only on the Gospel of John, and includes all the words of the Gospel, either spoken by actors or the narrator.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
David_B_K said:
Besides watching the Spanish Blu-ray of Jesus of Nazareth, I also checked out a goodly section of an under-rated (IMO) Jesus film ~ The Gospel of John. I started it too late to watch the whole thing, but will finish it this week. It's fairly low-budget, and lacks a "name" cast. But it has Christopher Plummer as the narrator and one of the best screen Christs in Henry Ian Cusick; who, more than any actor who has taken on the role, plays Christ with absolute confidence and assuredness throughout the movie. He plays the part as though he knows exactly what is going to happen beforehand, and he can see into the heart of everyone he meets.

The film is based only on the Gospel of John, and includes all the words of the Gospel, either spoken by actors or the narrator.

I'm glad you mentioned this one. I've got it and consider it top-notch for the same reasons.

Gary "if I could only own one film about Jesus, 'The Gospel of John' would probably be it even though I realize it wouldn't show up on most people's radar" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Gary OS said:
Yeah, I watched them as well and had to give "Killing Jesus" an F for a grade. It was just horrible on multiple levels. The other was slightly better, but for some reason they don't reach the same level as some of these more historic films/TV mini-series about the life of Christ we've been discussing in this thread.

Gary "didn't watch as much as I wanted to this Easter season, but I got a few things in" O.

I must be out of touch because I don't even know what those two films are. I was referring mostly to the more vintage and as Gary says, 'historic" versions. As far as those go, about the only one I didn't care for was THE GOSPEL ROAD from 1973 with its poorly acted Scandinavian looking Jesus. At least Johnny Cash's music made it bearable.

I did see THE GOSPEL OF JOHN and enjoyed it. As far as other recent attempts, I also very much loved Robert Loggia in THE GOSPEL AND SAINT PETER from 2012. The movie wasn't great and the actor playing Jesus looked plenty goofy, but Loggia was excellent as the aging Peter.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:

It's good to know I didn't miss anything. I had it set to record on the DVR and for some reason it never did.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm sorry to say I didn't watch a single faith based film over the Easter weekend. :(

In all fairness I'll add that my son and his family (wife - 2 kids) came in from 12 hours away for a *3* day visit (arrived Friday AM - left Sunday PM) and our time was fully consumed visiting with the adults and playing with the boys (15 month & 3 year old), but I usually watch at least one film. I may try to remedy that this weekend as my wife is doing a "girl's weekend" with some of her cousins so I'll have the house to myself. :)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Gary OS said:

Gary, one of my kids found it on the DVR so we gave it a go tonight. I couldn't get into it at all. My middle son quit watching pretty quick and my youngest asked could we turn it. He's 16 and begged to be allowed to stay up to watch The Ten Commandments 2nd disc with me a few weeks ago instead of waiting another night. He loves Christian based stuff but he couldn't get into it.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Gary and David, count me as one who thinks "The Gospel of John" as one of the best made. While Robert Powell did a great job as Jesus, he was a little too solemn for me. I'm sure Jesus laughed a little during His life. I think Henry Ian Cusick played Jesus perfectly. When I sent an autograph request to Christopher Plummer several months ago, I mentioned in my letter how much I enjoyed his narration in "The Gospel of John".

I'm gulity too of not watching any religious films this Easter which is unusual for me, but I just recently bought the complete series of "The Bob Newhart Show" and just couldn't stop watching it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks