What's new

No "Jesus of Nazareth" in US this Easter (1 Viewer)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Mike Frezon said:
That's just crazy. :blink:

Near impossible, in fact...one would think.

It is a record, but it's not all that crazy. I've often had Doctor Who DVDs ship from Amazon.uk on a Monday and arrive on a Friday. The European postal services are evidently a whole lot faster than ours. Air Mail, anyway.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
That is some kind of record. For my orders with Amazon.uk, I'm using standard shipping, but it usually takes at least a week and a half. BTW, I'm in SW Florida and my mail is processed through Ft. Myers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Kevin L McCorry said:
It is a record, but it's not all that crazy. I've often had Doctor Who DVDs ship from Amazon.uk on a Monday and arrive on a Friday. The European postal services are evidently a whole lot faster than ours. Air Mail, anyway.

Kevin: My wife and I live in upstate New York. My mother-in-law lives outside of Montreal (about 225 miles apart).

And we have given up on regular mail getting anything (letter, birthday card, etc.) from one location to the other in less than two weeks. We figure something funky must happen at the border. :rolleyes:

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Mike Frezon said:
Kevin: My wife and I live in upstate New York. My mother-in-law lives outside of Montreal (about 225 miles apart).

And we have given up on regular mail getting anything (letter, birthday card, etc.) from one location to the other in less than two weeks. We figure something funky must happen at the border. :rolleyes:

Border inspection backlog, I would guess (and these days, it probably includes all mail, including letters). Most of my mail from the U.S. takes about two weeks as well.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
To those who receive this and watch it, please share your review of the transfer quality.

This question was asked before, but I don't think it was answered. Does anyone know why the German edition is 4 discs and the Spain version two?

And the German set is edited with two missing scenes, but the Spain one is uncut, right?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Glad I ordered the Spain disc instead of the German. Liked the cover on the

German version better, and almost went for it.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
For those who care, here is how the show was presented on NBC. This is from memory:

1. April, 1977: "NBC'S THE BIG EVENT": Two Three-Hour Episodes (with limited commercials) (One on Palm Sunday & One on Easter Sunday.)

2. 1979: Four Two-Hour Episodes (with a massive amount of additional footage. This is the source of all home video versions. However, all U.S. home releases have presented the film as one presentation without openings Ep. 2, 3, & 4 and without closings for Ep. 1, 2, & 3.)

3. Future NBC showings: Two Three-Hour and One Two-Hour Episode. The last NBC Easter Broadcast was in April, 1990. I recorded that last broadcast. The teasers for it were thrilling! The last episode was presented with limited commercials. The final commercial was right before the Last Supper, and the following was said by the voice-over announcer: "NBC now presents the final scenes of "Jesus of Nazareth"....with no further commercial interruptions."

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Professor Echo said:
To those who receive this and watch it, please share your review of the transfer quality.

This question was asked before, but I don't think it was answered. Does anyone know why the German edition is 4 discs and the Spain version two?

And the German set is edited with two missing scenes, but the Spain one is uncut, right?

Film print damage in a few places, in the form of vertical "thread" lines and some flickering blacks. But on the whole, a good Blu-Ray.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I'm ok with that. The film was shot in not the best of conditions, often in barren landscapes. Also, the cut footage that was restored in 1979 will be of lesser quality.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
moviebuff75 said:
For those who care, here is how the show was presented on NBC. This is from memory:

1. April, 1977: "NBC'S THE BIG EVENT": Two Three-Hour Episodes (with limited commercials) (One on Palm Sunday & One on Easter Sunday.)

2. 1979: Four Two-Hour Episodes (with a massive amount of additional footage. This is the source of all home video versions. However, all U.S. home releases have presented the film as one presentation without openings Ep. 2, 3, & 4 and without closings for Ep. 1, 2, & 3.)

3. Future NBC showings: Two Three-Hour and One Two-Hour Episode. The last NBC Easter Broadcast was in April, 1990. I recorded that last broadcast. The teasers for it were thrilling! The last episode was presented with limited commercials. The final commercial was right before the Last Supper, and the following was said by the voice-over announcer: "NBC now presents the final scenes of "Jesus of Nazareth"....with no further commercial interruptions."

Good summary. A couple things, I do remember the first VHS release from CBS/Fox in the late 80s actually was missing two scenes that were part of the later TV broadcasts, both involving the young Jesus. First, showing him climbing a ladder and second the "Did you not know you would find me in my Father's house?" scene.

I also remember limited interruptions in the earlier NBC broadcasts. The announcer in fact would go out of commercial, "That was Act 1 of "Jesus of Nazareth".....the conclusion will now follow."

I have still been soldiering on with the old Artisan DVD release. The Mexican one I didn't get when I heard about what was missing there.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Jack P said:
Good summary. A couple things, I do remember the first VHS release from CBS/Fox in the late 80s actually was missing two scenes that were part of the later TV broadcasts, both involving the young Jesus. First, showing him climbing a ladder and second the "Did you not know you would find me in my Father's house?" scene.

I also remember limited interruptions in the earlier NBC broadcasts. The announcer in fact would go out of commercial, "That was Act 1 of "Jesus of Nazareth".....the conclusion will now follow."

I have still been soldiering on with the old Artisan DVD release. The Mexican one I didn't get when I heard about what was missing there.

It was first released by Magnetic Video in 1980.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I have a longer version of the whipping scene someone sent to me. It seems like it is from an Italian cut...it's not in English. Anyway, there are more shots of Jesus being beaten & Pilate & Zerah watching from above & having a conversation.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
Eric-- thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

i just received my blu ray from spain, and it is a wonderful upgrade from the dvd!

i would have never found this without your imput!

'Jesus of Nazareth' on blu is the 'jewel in the crown' of my religious films library,

which is now complete as far as i'm concerned!!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I'm in, too.

Ordered on January 23, they estimate delivery to be between February 9 - 11.

It was $28.58 US dollars. 14.85 (Euro) + 9.41 (Euro) shipping = $28.58 (USD).

Having this thread revived reminded me to check on my expected delivery date.

Hmmmm. My copy is late.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Mike Frezon said:
Having this thread revived reminded me to check on my expected delivery date.

Hmmmm. My copy is late.
I've been having mucho issues with deliveries from Amazon UK lately. Never had a problem before, but my last 2 orders haven't shown up (I'm in SC), Amazon UK kindly put in new orders but I'm still awaiting delivery on both re-orders. Not sure at all what's going on all of a sudden with Amazon UK. I just order the Clint Eastwood Collection yesterday, hoping it will show up in 2 weeks or so.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Mike, mine came about three weeks late, but I got it. You guys are so very welcome. This is the most complete release ever. All of the teasers/recaps/openings/closings are on this release too. A home run! The English track is lossless as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks