What's new

No buzz/reviews for the 9/30 Warner classics yet? (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i don't know about anyone else, but i think i'm more anxious for The Adventures Of Robin Hood than i am for Indiana jones (although i'm excited to be seeing that too of course).

when do you think we'll start seeing reviews on this and the other two?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
i don't know about anyone else, but i think i'm more anxious for The Adventures Of Robin Hood than i am for Indiana jones
Me too Paul... I can assure you, I've ordered them for review (the whole Legends Set in fact)... as soon as I get them...

Herb.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I believe websites are only allowed to post reviews of Warner discs a week or so before streetdates (presumably so as to keep them fresh in people's minds).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am getting really pumped up about the release of these Legend DVDs, in particular Robin Hood

;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Robin Hood just arrived today - reviews should pop up in the next couple of days. Sierra Madre and Doodle Dandy are supposed to come in later this week...

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Don't forget that those who order all three by ordering the Warner Legends Boxed Set (rather than buying them individually) reportedly receive a bonus documentary only available in the box. :emoji_thumbsup: My order's been in a while now, but they won't arrive until a day or two after street.

Oh, yes: buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That should make up for some of its lack. :D This is a tremendous release which, when combined with next month's double whammy of WB's Looney Tunes set and Lon Chaney Collection set, might well make them studio of the year in my book.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I'm ready too, still drooling over the artwork. But I'm getting this as a birthday present so will have to wait another month to watch.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The Big Picture has some screenshots of Robin Hood up.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

The 30th can not come soon enough!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Now I may catch some feedback for this, but I was really kind of let down. Now don’t get me wrong, for a movie of this age the picture does look stunning in all it’s full-frame glory, but I don’t feel that it packed the same punch that “Singin…” did.
that's kinda disappointing.
i probably shouldn't have built this one up in my head so much.
but i remember thinking that the copies of TAORH i've seen down the years looked in at least as good, if not better than SITR, so i was expecting the same hyper-tight registration.
the colors were always a knockout on this.

i checked out those screenshots over on the BP, but its hard to tell much.
it looks like there is a bit of color fringing going on, but who knows with all the comression used on the jpgs.

i know its only one review, but...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
ROBIN HOOD has always had several problem spots in both picture and sound, particularly the scene where Robin meets Friar Tuck. There are several blurry shots there, and the sound gets very rough. This occurs on every version of ROBIN HOOD released to video(I've had 'em all), including the Criterion Laserdisc and the last MGM/UA disc. So there may be things that will never look perfect in this film, considering the source material. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for the reviewers disappointment.

Personally, I can't wait for the 30th. ROBIN HOOD, YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and the Kino MAN WHO LAUGHS DVD. Gonna be a great DVD day!:D

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Hee hee, that's just the beginning. If you guys only knew the classics Warner is releasing in 2004 -- all of the remaining Warner-owned Best Picture winners, among them Grand Hotel, The Great Ziegfeld, Mrs. Miniver, Mutiny on the Bounty, Around the World in 80 Days in 16:9 with the Entr'acte, Intermission, and Exit music. Also more Oscar-winning performances like Anastasia, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (16X9), etc.

2004 is definitely shaping up to be the "The Year of the Classics" for Warner.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Brian, if Mutiny on the Bounty is really happening, that would be great. I'm very much looking forward to adding that one to my library. That is the Charles Laughton version you're talking about and not the Brando, right?

Neil

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
That is the Charles Laughton version you're talking about and not the Brando, right?
Right, but according to the last Warner chat, they're working on the Marlon Brando version as well. I think they said they're trying to find the stereo tracks.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
That indeed sounds great Brian but some of those titles have never been mentioned before, the sceptic in me wonders if there are enough dates in the year for all the Best Picture winners, the Marx Brothers, the Hitchcocks, silents, Flynn, Cagney, Meet Me In St Louis, That's Entertainment and all the new stuff that's likely to come out,yet all of that was vaguely promised in the chat. If that all comes to pass it willl indeed be the year of the classics but on past form it looks like rather a lot of catalog material to expect in one year. Maybe I'm wrong I hope I am if you are in the know Brian are these still all lined up for 2004 or are some beginning to slide ?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
the sceptic in me wonders if there are enough dates in the year for all the Best Picture winners, the Marx Brothers, the Hitchcocks, silents, Flynn, Cagney, Meet Me In St Louis, That's Entertainment and all the new stuff that's likely to come out
These Oscar-winners will almost certainly be out before any Hitchcocks, Marx Brothers, or Meet Me in St. Louis. I am almost positive none of those things you mention are first quarter releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks