What's new

No Blu-Ray info from CES? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Pat you might want to hold off on that 3805 if you would like something with hdmi and dvi. The AVR 4806 should be coming out soon. It will be replacing the AVR 4805 and retail for around $3500. The new AVR 5805 looks really nice but at $6k its kinda pricy especially since you can get a McIntosh for around $7400. But I dont think the McIntosh has the features and number of inputs the Denon does. Sorry to hear about the ES hope you get something better soon. My ES is still in the shop, its only been a week so far but the thing is it shouldn't be there in the first place. Kinda sucks when you buy the upper end Sony for the construction and good parts. And end up with a peice of junk anyway :frowning:

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
I forgot about the 4806! Another sweet machine from Denon. The 5805 is soooo big, but it does it all. I guess they went with this instead of the separates they had planned...

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
am I the only one that wants HD-DVD because I don't wanna deal with another player lying around I would hate to have to have a non-backwards compatible Blu Ray player.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Blu-Ray is backward compatible. This is from blu-ray.com:

2.4 Will Blu-ray support playback of DVDs?

Yes, this is often incorrectly stated as an advantage of HD-DVD, but all that is required is a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head. Several leading consumer electronics companies (including Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read and write DVDs and Blu-ray Discs, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. With the vast amount of Blu-ray products that will be coming out, this will be an important feature for consumers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
mmmmm maybe I will replace my Sony ES dvd player with a BR player. I just hope a good company makes a player I like, as I dont want a Sony or LG. Anyone know if Denon is building a BR player ? :D

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

There's a thread either here or on AVS discussing this. As far as I know, Denon hasn't announced anything. Pioneer is also in the BR camp, and they currently have one of the top DVD players according to some. Hope that bode's well for BR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks