What's new

No audio (1 Viewer)

molski

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Hello,

Just setting up my home theater system. I have LG 42LH40 tv and using yamaha rx567 receiver. I have also a PS3. The ps3 is working fine but for some reason I can not get any audio from the tv besides the tv volume. At first I thought I could run audio and video through one HDMI cable but after calling LG they said with this model it is not possible. So I went to the store and bought an optical cable, hooked it up to the receiver and the back of the tv and nothing is coming out still. Any thoughts on why this might be happening? Thanks

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
A couple of reasons for this: 1) you have not configured the receiver by assigning the input from the set (optical digital) to the output device. 2) if you look at page 41 of your TV owner's manual you will see that you have to set the tv speaker to the off position.

Also, I would recommend taking audio from the souce (ie: cable/satelite box or dvd player (ps3)) to the receiver. (don't forget to assign here as well).

Hope this helps.

molski

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon
Thanks for the help. I think I might have it figured out. When I went to buy the toslink cable, the man at radio shack told me that this is the cord I needed. The cord I bought was actually a toslink to mini cable and not two toslink connections. I am returning it shortly; I am guessing this is the problem.

Also, when I am playing around with different settings on the receiver, the only one that really sounds great I think is the 7ch stereo enhanced. When I play the other settings like DPLIImusic and NEO6 music and all that good stuff the rears dont sound good at all. I have a 5.1 setup. Ive messed around with speaker distance settings and levels too. Is the 7ch enhanced stereo the way to go on most stuff? Right now I am just running it through the ipod dock listening to different jazz and various instrumental extravaganzas. :)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If by "don't sound good at all" you mean "they don't sound as loud as my front speakers" then that's the way it's supposed to be.

Surround speakers are never used as frequently, nor do they ever play as loudly as the front speakers. Surrounds are for ambience mostly, with occassional use for directional effects.

All movies are mixed differently, too, so there's no "correct" amount of activity for surrounds.

You should properly calibrate your system using a sound level meter and test tones (your receiver probably has this ability within it's setup menus). When you calibrate the speakers, the receiver sends an identical signal to all speakers in the system (i.e. NOT real-world, but for calibration only). You adjust the level of each speaker so that the perceived volume at the primary listening position is uniform for all speakers.

Once calibrated, you can be sure that the speakers are reproducing the multichannel soundtrack as the sound engineers intended.

A listening/processing "mode" like 7 Ch Stereo works by taking whatever signal is provided, folding it down to two-channel stereo, then splitting that signal equally across all left-side and right-side speakers. Doing this will have the effect of making the surround speakers "louder" but you will be losing the multichannel sound design in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks