What's new

Nirvana Box Set by Christmas (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

It's only been 5, but who's counting. That is the final artwork, I'm glad someone had it uploaded as I have no webspace to like it to.

The tracklisting is most likely going to be kept under wraps until very near the release date, at least that is what their intentions are. Eminem's new tracklist leaked, so more than likely this one will too. As soon as I hear something that isn't pure speculation, I'll post it here.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
There is a German 5-track promo disc that will be coming out. An Italian collector friend has received a copy of the press release that confirms the promo. So, without further ado -- The first 5 confirmed tracks from the Box.

. WHITE LACE AND STRANGE - Previously unreleased radio performance, 1987
. BLANDEST - Previously unreleased demo, 1988
. LITHIUM - Previously unreleased solo acoustic, 1990
. HEART SHAPED BOX - Previously unreleased demo, 1993
. YOU KNOW YOU'RE RIGHT - Previously unreleased solo acoustic, 1994

I've got a 4th generation copy of the first song from KAOS radio 1987. Track 2 was erased off the master tape, so this will be from a rough mix tape. Track 3 is assumed to be from Calvin Johnson's radio show, although it could just be a home demo. Track 4 leaked out in 2002 in VERY low quality, it was recorded 1-22-1993 in South America. The last was completely unknown to exist, so it could be a studio or home demo.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Q Magazine has reviewed the set, and they have stated the tracklist! (In parentheses is the source www.nirvanaclub.com thinks the track came from):
  • CD 1:[*]1. Heartbreaker (3/87 house party in Raymond, WA)[*]2. Anorexorcist (4/17/87 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]3. White Lace And Strange (4/17/87 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]4. Help Me I'm Hungry (possibly from a 11/89 live show)[*]5. Mrs Butterworth[*]6. If You Must (1/23/88 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]7. Pen Cap Chew (1/23/88 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]8. Downer (possibly from 4/17/87 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]9. Floyd The Barber (possibly from 4/17/87 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]10. Raunchola (1/23/88 live performance in Tacoma, WA)[*]11. Moby Dick (1/23/88 live performance in Tacoma, WA)[*]12. Beans (home recording 1987-1988)[*]13. Don't Want It All (possibly home recording 1987-1988)[*]14. Clean Up Before She Comes (home recording 1987-1988)[*]15. Polly (solo) (possibly home recording 1987-1988)[*]16. About A Girl (possibly home recording 1987-1988)[*]17. Blandest (June-September 1988 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]18. Dive (Most likely from June 1989 session at Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA)[*]19. They Hung Him On A Cross (possibly from August 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]20. Grey Goose (August 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]21. Ain't It A Shame (August 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]22. Token Eastern Song (September 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]23. Even In His Youth (September 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]24. Polly (September 1989 studio session in Seattle, WA)

CD 2:[*]1. Opinion (09/25/90 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]2. Lithium (09/25/90 KAOS Radio session in Olympia, WA)[*]3. Been A Son[*]4. Sliver (possibly unfinished version from July 11, 1990 session in Seattle, WA)[*]5. Where Did You Sleep Last Night (possibly from November 25, 1991 radio session in Holland)[*]6. Pay To Play (04/90 studio session in Madison, WI)[*]7. Here She Comes Now (04/90 studio session in Madison, WI)[*]8. Drain You (possibly from late 1990 demo)[*]9. Aneurysm (possibly from 01/01/91 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]10. Smells Like Teen Spirit (demo) (possibly from March 1991 boombox demo)[*]11. Breed (possibly from March 1991 boombox demo)[*]12. Verse Chorus Verse (possibly from March 1991 boombox demo)[*]13. Old Age (possibly from March 1991 boombox demo)[*]14. Endless, Nameless (most likely from September 3, 1991 radio session)[*]15. Dumb (possibly from September 3, 1991 radio session)[*]16. D-7 (possibly from October 21, 1990 radio session)[*]17. Oh The Guilt (April 1992 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]18. Curmudgeon (April 1992 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]19. Return Of The Rat (April 1992 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]20. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Butch Vig Mix) (Sound City Studios May-June 1991)

CD 3:[*]1. Rape Me (solo) (possibly from October 1992 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]2. Rape Me (possibly from October 1992 studio session in Seattle, WA)[*]3. Scentless Apprentice (most likely from January 23, 1993 show)[*]4. Heart Shaped Box (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]5. I Hate Myself And I Want To Die (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]6. Milk It (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]7. Moist Vagina (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]8. Gallons Of Running Alcohol Flows Through The Strip (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]9. The Other Improv (most likely from January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]10. Serve The Servants (possibly from January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]11. Very Ape (January 22, 1993 session in Rio, Brazil)[*]12. Pennyroyal Tea[*]13. Marigold (possibly March 1993 studio session)[*]14. Sappy aka Verse Chorus Verse (possibly March 1993 studio session)[*]15. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam[*]16. Do Re Mi (Kurt Cobain home demo from March 1994)[*]17. You Know You're Right (most likely from 1/94 session in Seattle, WA)[*]18. All Apologies

DVD:[*]1. Love Buzz[*]2. Scoff[*]3. About A Girl[*]4. Big Long Now[*]5. Immigrant Song[*]6. Spank Thru[*]7. Hairspray Queen[*]8. School[*]9. Mr Moustache[*]10. Big Cheese[*]11. In Bloom[*]12. Sappy[*]13. School[*]14. Love Buzz[*]15. Pennyroyal Tea[*]16. Smells Like Teen Spirit[*]17. Territorial Pissings[*]18. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam[*]19. Talk To Me[*]20. Seasons In The Sun

Interesting enough, the tracks on the 3 CDs add up to 62, and not 81 as previously announced by Geffen. However, when you add the 20 songs on the DVD to the 62 tracks spread across the CDs, the result is 82. This makes me wonder if Geffen's track count includes the songs on the DVD.

Here is a full scan of that Q Magazine article, provided by www.nirvanaclub.com! Just to warn those of you with dial-up, this picture is almost 2MB in size.

http://www.nirvanaclub.com/news/qarticle.jpg

I'm going to read it, and then I'll post my reaction to the article and the tracklist after I'm done.

a gratefolded box made from heat-sensitive material that changes colours when you touch it
That sounds very interesting. I wonder how it will be used on the box and what it will look like when you touch it.

Wow. That's all I gotta say to that. :eek:

All in all (is all we are ;) ), I really like the tracklist for this set. Sure, I wish there would be some more unreleased stuff rather than demos of songs from their albums, but I still think it will be interesting to hear what they sound like in their most bare form.

Remember, this is only the start of the release of Nirvana rarties, because part of the agreement that Courtney Love made with Dave, Krist, and Universal Music Group is that there will be a rarties album too. Expect that to have stuff that didn't make the box set. I also have a feeling that there will be at least one more box set in the future. :)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Interesting tidbit about how they got the DVD footage. :)

Looks like an awesome set, but it will probably be a while before I can afford it if I want to get Christmas gifts for everyone... :frowning:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, the set is up for preorder at Amazon.com for $48 right now. Best Buy's site used to have it up for $43, but it is now $54. Pressure from Geffen? ;)

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I'm impressed. We all kinda figured that it would be 90% upgrades to what demos we already had access to and 10% new stuff. This box is about 50/50. I spent a little time discussing it in private over at the LiveNirvana message boards with other moderators before Ramsus posted it publicly and we all agree that it is better than we imagined.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
For the most part I am happy with the tracklist (though a 4th CD to pick up all the other B-sides, tribute tracks, and compilation tracks would have been nice).

My only real dissapointment is I'll still have to pick up Greatest Hits to get the band version of You Know You're Right.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've been putting off buying the singles boxset for quite a few years now. Has anyone done a comparison to determine if any of the B-sides are not included in this new set? I'm curious, because my local used CD store has a copy of the singles boxset in.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

This track is indeed another Leadbelly song, alternatively known as "EASTER". The singles box is still a good purchase due to the unique songs only found on the singles. There are still a few odds and end's not found on the box, but are still available officially (although some of them are now out of print).

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
You can get an early version of "Stay Away" called "Pay to Play" on various digital music services (oddly enough, iTunes isn't one of them).

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I'm not a fan of lossless audio and I know that I am not alone. That track is also available on DGC Rarities, Vol. 1 along with some really good rare tracks from Beck, Sonic Youth, Teenage Fanclub, Hole, Weezer and more.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/nirvana/artist.jhtml

Video trailer for the Nirvana Box set, click on the link on that page for it. I've already made a VCD and an MP3 file for it to tide me over. The next couple of weeks are going to be tough.

Tracks included are:

Intro
1. ??? (Mrs. Butterworth?)
2. Dumb
3. Even In His Youth
4. Sliver (acoustic)
5. Serve The Servants (acoustic)
6. ?? (Don't want it all?)
7. Old Age
8. Immigrant Song
9. Seasons In The Sun
10. Do Re Mi
11. Blandest

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
That trailer is really cool. Oh, and MTV.com also has the Sub Pop video for In Bloom up, which is quite good.

And here is a picture of what the inside of the box will look like!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I-Tunes has an exclusive track up for $.99. It is Lithium acoustic on the Boy Meets World show with Calvin Johnson. It is only about 1:51 seconds, but it sound great to hear it all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks