1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo's Simpler Game stratagy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Krystian C, Aug 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

Just came from checking things out on www.the-magicbox.com, and they had some truely stupid news in my opinion. The whole article is below.

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

So because you state that anybody who disagrees with you is a fanboy we can't disagree? Hardly. Games are becoming bloody well more complicated. And that doesn't mean anything to you nor I who are able to work through a game's controls, but it does mean games are becoming less accessible.

Case in point, my girlfriend can pick Super Mario Bros 2 and go. Trying to get her into my Cube games is nigh impossible. I managed to get her playing Mario Golf simply because the interface is simple and easy. Super Mario Bros 3 is a classic game and it has a jump button and an 'action' button. Super Mario Sunshine has a monster button layout to wrangle, not to mention the 3D to contend with.

I humbly believe you're confusing the idea of difficulty with that of length. So you didn't get your money's worth from Zelda? Finished it in seven hours? I'm impressed.

As for Final Fantasy, who says that a name has to be an indicator of the internal workings? Mario games, again, are platformers but they all offer something different. Besides, what about Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest? There's a title we can all look up to as a beacon of quality.

Square has a history of making fun games like this and just because it doesn't have the boring-ass CGI or painfully tortured cliches, er, characters doesn't diminish its potential at all. Secret of Mana was more fun than any Square game on the SNES if you played it multi-player and I expect similar here. SoM also featured the arcade style of play they're using in Crystal Chronicles.

I've been sick of Final Fantasy since VIII so it's nice to see them finally trying something new beyond the same damn crap they always do. A brand name doesn't give a company any right to branch out into new directions? Right. [​IMG]

3. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I agree simple doesn't mean easy. As long as the gamplay is there, I'm fine. Look at Sega's Virtua Tennis. Simple to get into (2 buttons), and a blast to play.

5. Michael St. Clair

Difficulty Depth.

I think Nintendo has more issues than they are addressing, though.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

I'd also like everybody to remember this thread when the supposedly insanely difficult F-Zero GX comes out and there's another spate of posts going on about that. [​IMG]

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

8. Michael St. Clair

Mistaken post.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Screenwriter

10. Dave F

Dave F Screenwriter

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Screenwriter

I'm hoping Crystal Chronicles will be something almost as good as Secret of Mana, an all-time favorite.
    I would personally say that games are becoming too easy these days, rather than difficult. FFX had a great story, and good potential, but it was so pathetically easy I probably won't ever pick it up again. My favorite nest-gen games lately are being dumbed down. Maximo 2 is supposed to be easier (boo! hiss!!). Devil May Cry 2 is pathetically easy by all accounts. I loved DMC1. For god's sake, if they want to make a game easy, make an easy mode like DMC1 had.

All I can say is, back in the day, Mario 3 or Super Mario World WAS NOT easy. It easier now to a seasoned gamer than it was back then. A move to make games easier is the last thing I want to see.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

13. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

Agreed. And I think that the "an easy game can be fun" argument is just as valid as a difficult game can be fun. Mario 64 was pretty easy and a damn good game. Goldeneye at times was one of the hardest and was my favorite FPS before Halo. Making games easier to 'appeal to a wider audience' is just going to further validate the association with Nintendo being a children's company.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Screenwriter

I think there is a lot to be said for a progression of difficulty. The game should start out rather basic but increase in difficulty in such a way that the game player notices the difficulty increasing but it should be gradual. There are too many games that are extremely easy all the way through until the very very end and then its just impossible and the gamer ends up just quitting.

15. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I don't follow Iwata's thought process at all. I know the Wind Waker would be a lot more harder if the enemies dealt more damage, it feels like the code was changed after the slight backlash SMS recieved. If this rubs off on Mario 128...nintendo is going to have some problems. He really should proof read his script....most if not all the genre's he bashed - saying there too complicated -(Ikaruga/"ESPN") are very basic core games. Ikaruga is(i don't own it) I belive from what I've seen is one of the most simplest set up's around, but it get's complicated later when you have to apply your skills. Sports games have a easy play setting if you aren't good enough to do anything, not too mention rookie mode. People who have been gaming longer are probably better at doing that than casual gamers, therefore the casual gamers don't buy it. I say too bad, the GC will be relying on a lot of niche titles to move consoles...so if they lose that audience goodbye sales. This is probably overthought on my part, but releasing these types of statements is something I'd only expect Sega to do.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, that's what makes the old Atari games and their ilk so great - anybody can pick up Centipede or Asteroids and understand what's going on pretty quickly, and also do well enough on their first try to not get discouraged, but the difficulty ramps up quickly. "Easy To Learn, Difficult To Master"

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think that whatever happens happens. If a game is good enough, then I'll play it, whatever the difficulty, title, platform, developer, publisher, or anything else. I've got many different games in my possession because they're good. If Nintendo is able to make games that appeal to a wider audience and those games are the ones that are easier, then fine by me. To be honest, who here WASN'T mad at Super Mario Sunshine every once in a while? Would you like them to leave that as hard as it was?

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

19. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

20. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor