What's new

Nintendo Wii..... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I hooked up the system to a 60" flatscreen at work today and did the Wii playing (I had to "test" the system before packing it up for my cousin's son...yeah, right). I'm now on the lookout for my own Wii, so yes, it was fun and you can get some decent exercise if you want to invest in the total movements required for the sports games included with the system.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

That statement, more than anything else, proves that the Wii is immersive to a point of almost merging gaming with reality (and isn't that really the goal of most if not all gaming systems?) The only thing I would change is to substitute "and" for "but." Then it could be used in a Nintendo ad campaign.

;)

I believe that Steve told me, when he talked to me on the phone, that his significant other is an excellent bowler and she was able to control the ball in subtle ways that is almost eerie in its execution. And remember, we have just seen the first wave of Wii games so the future is bright indeed as more game developers come on board. The early buzz on Super Mario Galaxy is that it reaches new heights (literally!) that have never been seen before in a "fantasy world" game. I can't wait.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Got the Wii unpacked last night and played through the games, and quickly became obssessed with obtaining PRO ranking! Did so, finally, on bowling. Haven't tried much golf, but the boxing game showed me how out of shape my upper body is, flailing away like crazy with jabs and hooks! Tennis is a kick. It's such things as adding these games free that reminds me how much fun I've always had with Nintendo in the past (although my 'Cube really didn't live up to my expectations).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up a 2GB SD card for my Wii, so I'll be getting it personalized, can't wait to work on my Mii.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my gf went to her friends house in western mass for the weekend, she calls me up and says "i just played zelda on the wii, WE HAVE TO GET ONE!" sometimes the waf/gaf ends up in your favor :)

CJ

PerryD

Supporting Actor

I've seen this before, but what is the benefit for add an SD card to the Wii? I believe it comes with 512MB built-in for save games and the Virtual console games only run off of the internal flash RAM also, correct? Is it for moving save games to another Wii, or backing up saves?

My Wii is being saved for the kids for Christmas, so I'm still figuring out what I need before then. I picked up the component cables on Nintendo's site and an extra controller at Fry's, so I think I'm pretty much ready for the big day.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

One of the things I use my Wii SD card for (and something I never even thought about until I tried it out) is to show digital pictures on the Wii. You take your SD card over to your computer (with a universal card reader or an external USB one) and you can quickly transfer digital pictures (and MP3 music as well) to the SD card. When I recently got a new USB universal card reader - one that allows me to directly transfer pictures from my Sony Memory Stick to my SD card (it shows up like 4 separate disc drives on the computer so it's a snap to transfer from any format to any other) I decided to check out the PHOTO option on the Wii. I was pleasantly surprised that the PHOTO function (in conjunction with pictures on an SD card) is as much a pleasure to use (for all ages!) as most other things are on the Wii. Not only do you get the traditional slide show (with some nice visual and aural options) but there are some additional DOODLE and PUZZLE modes that will keep the kiddies (and young at heart adults) occupied much longer than I imagined.

What I'm trying to say, is that if you have a larger SD card (or a series of SD cards) it;s much more convenient to introduce a greater number of digital pictures and/or music files to Wiidom. In fact, I've taken advantage of some of the recent sales and Google Checkout to pick up an assortment of VERY inexpensive SD cards from buy.com. For example, this morning I purchased a Kingston 2gig SD card (the largest size you can use in a Wii - 4Gig supposedly does not compute) for a net cost of $9.95 (after rebates and Google checkout). That's an amazing price for a 2 gig SD card.

My 995 cents on this.

;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The main benefit is to backup the saves from the internal memory to the SD card, and be able to take the SD card and play the same game on a different Wii and use the backup of the saved game from SD and copy it back to the internal memory of the 2nd Wii. You definitely can't play any games from the SD card itself, only save your game progress on them. RAF points out the other benefits of a large SD card.

Here's page 4 of a thread from the Nintendo forums dealing with this topic.

I also saw the $9.95 deal after MIR on the 2GB SD card, so I order it this morning, and will be returning the other SD card ASAP.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I spent last night playing with the Wii. I Love it. I know lots of people love Madden, and how accurate it is and all of that but the most fun I ever had playing a game was Tecmo Bowl on the original NES and just chucking things around.

This is the first game system that has that kind of feel to it. I felt involved and the pacing of the games is fast. That's the thing I dislike about the XBOX360. Too many games with overlong storylines, plots, search for this and that as well as the fact that they are so difficult that me, a guy with bifocals, feels I might as well not play.

But Wii just gets it. I love the golf game. Hell, all of Wii Sports is fun. Instead of me squinting at a screen trying to think of outflanking some guy in Truth-Or-Consequences, NM; I can hope on, play a round of golf, hop off. That to me is what really makes this system a winner. The ability to feel fully involved in something in a short period of time and then have the ability to shut it off and do something else.

It's not the same graphics as the XBOX360, but who cares? I still play board games for pete sake, and last I checked I wasn't asking Monopoly to have special effects. The ability to spend an hour or two and have fun while I'm doing it, that's the key. And Nintendo has that all figured out. This is THE system to have.

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoy the Wii. It's a lot of fun. That said, it annoys me a little when i see people playing these games (Wii Sports specifically) and thinking they HAVE to flail their arms about like a complete ninny. I'm sorry, but if you're throwing your arms out, or getting injured, or accidentally throwing your Wiimote into the wall or TV you're not playing your Wii correctly. None of that is necessary.You don't have to swing hard, people.

This is mainly casual gamers, but I've seen "normal" gamers do some of this as well.

Sorry, don't mean to offend, just a minor annoyance for me.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Going back to the SD Card thing for a second...

In addition to being to back-up game save data and view photos, and also set the Photo Channel to play a "slideshow" set to music from MP3s you have on your SD card, you can also play MP3s for your in-game soundtrack in Excite Truck. While the option isn't implemented as well as it is on the XBox, it is a welcomed start. Hopefully developers will take advantage of this feature and utilize custom soundtracks in the future. Hopefully a future firmware upgrade might allow for playlists. Right now that best the Wii can do is play your MP3s randomly. If you have a mix of different music types and genres, it would be very useful to be able to separate them into different playlists.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Thanks for the link, Patrick. Although my current straps are fine (for now) all four are of the earlier type so I've entered my request as per the instructions so I can beef them up.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I can't put my finger on it but there something funny about saying "Nintendo is offering a new strapon for your Wii."

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Best post of the day!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What was weird was having a little boy offer me $300 for my Wii that I bought at Target this morning. One of these days, that boy will find out what "soliciting" means...

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
Well after getting to my local CC at 1:50 am and being number 6 in line I got my Wii. They had six units. Folks showed up from 3 to 7 getting in line behind us. At the end there were about 15 people in line total.

I came back at 8 when the store opened and bought 2 extra wiimotes and 2 extra nunchucks. Picked up Zelda, Exite Truck, Marvel Ulitmate Alliance, and Tony Hawk. Also got an SD card and a 2000 point wii card. I ended up getting the CC protection plan for 59 bucks, but with it I got 10 percent off all games plus 15% off the accessories, so it actually saved me about 20 bucks overall.

My wife and I decided to hold TH for Christmas for my son. I have played all the games pretty limitedly except for Zelda. I should have not got MAU. It sucks with the wiimotes. It would be better with gamecube remotes. Zelda is pretty awesome and very intuitive with the controls. Excite Truck is fun, but a challenge to get used to control wise.

Then there is Wii Sports. The first 10 minutes I played I was smiling from ear to ear. This game is nothing but fun.

The Mii's we created for the family are a nice touch, especially when you can get them to look like you. Mine looks like I uploaded a pic of myself.

Nintendo hit a home run with this one. Now if I can just pry my kids off so I can play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks