What's new

Nintendo HD console in 2012 ("Wii U") (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Regarding the "Wiii-U," I immediately thought of that guy in Better Off Dead, who mocks Cusack with that weird pig noise, while he's working at Pig Burger. "Wee-EWWWWW!!"

It's a pretty dumb name for a console.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised that they kept the Wii name, but it probably helps in brand recognition when people decide to buy the next console, kind of like calling it the PlayStation 2/3 or the X-Box 360.

I've gotten used to it being the Wii U. So long as it's good at what it does, I really don't care what it's called. I think Vita is an odd name, too, but again I don't care what it's called so long as it works.

However, I think Kinect was probably the perfect name for the device.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Wii U? Nintendo has telegraphed what demographic they are aiming for. God, that company gets more and more infantile with every new gen of console.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
How is the controller for the Wii U some kind of innovation when the Vita for the PS3 is basically the same thing, albeit with a smaller screen?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
While watching G4, I did like the idea that someone mentioned when they said that an Aliens game was coming out and he said the Wiipad would be a perfect alien tracking monitor.

I would love to play it like that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Edwin - The iPad with an Apple TV can do a lot of the same things, as well. I think it's more the applications that Nintendo is coming up with for the device and the fact that it's integrated with the console. Also, the cost of a PS Vita and a PS3 is like $550, and the cost of an iPad and Apple TV is about the same. The Wii U will probably be around $300.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Confirmed no DVD or Blu playback at all:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/15/wii-u-will-not-play-dvds-or-blu-ray-iwata-says/W

Whadya wanna bet the hackers figure a way to fix that?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I don't need the WiiU to play DVD/Blu-ray/ No point when I already have a PS3, a bluray player, 3D blu-ray player and an Xbox360.

Just give me a HD Nintendo with good games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks