What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't think we'll see dual gamepad support (Hardly anyone would ever buy a second gamepad for one major reason), but I still dream about an Intellivision compilation on the Wii U.

Two Wii U gamepads would be perfect for such a thing since there were many 2 player games, the analog stick would be able to handle the 16 direction disc of the Intellivision controller, the touch screen to simulate the keypad, etc.

Toss in solid emulation, as many games as possible, and options like mapping a keypad function to a button and I'd be in Heaven.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Morgan Jolley said:
Wii games being SD wasn't a big deal because some of them were still absolutely gorgeous. An SD Wii game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks WAY better than just about anything MS or Sony could hope to produce on their consoles.
It was a big deal to me.

Mario Galaxy looked great, despite being SD. And the pack-in games (bowling and fruit ninja and what all) could have been 8 bit and still been fun. But third party games looked bad. The Lego games were horrible looking, having played them on my 360. Even my wife commented -- playing them with her nieces -- and said she was glad we got the 360 rather than the Wii.

And had the Wii U also only supported SD, it would have been dead in the water. Because graphics matter.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I'm a little let down by Nintendo. Nothing incredibly new and nothing super significant. Granted, that kind of feels like the theme this year but I think Sony did a great job last night while MS tried too hard (and barely missed) while Nintendo did Nintendo and it was eh.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was kind of underwhelmed too. But for some reason many seem to think they hit a home run. That said, a few things did intrigue me that I'll want to learn more about. Mario Maker for instance.

Is it free? How fully featured is it if it isn't? Can an entire game of user created levels be made? Can levels easily be shared online by the community? Looking forward to hearing some concrete details on things like that, Star Fox U (The dual screen and control setup of which leaves a lot of doubts for me as I read about it), and a few others. Even this GameCube adapter leaves more question marks than answers since it seems to only be mentioned with Super Smash Brothers.

And the 3DS side really disappointed me. No 2DSXL and there's literally nothing on the release calendar that even interest me slightly [Edit: Well, there is wave 2 of Sega's 3D Classics like Outrun, which while not confirmed for North America, hopefully will appear late this year like Wave 1 did last year.].

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GameCube adapter is only made for Smash Bros. I don't think anything else is meant to be used with it. Its for serious competitive players.

StarFox looks neat but it's a good year away, at least. I'd rather see stuff that will be out by the end of the year then see stuff at TGS (in September) that will be out by next E3.

I wanted to see more of Zelda like a REAL trailer, something of Metroid, etc. I like the fun stuff like Yoshi but I want something more hardcore. Even a Mario Galaxy HD upgrade or sequel would be nice.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Too soon after Super Mario 3D World I imagine for a HD remastered 3D Mario platformer.

I'm a bit puzzled by the Zelda reveal as well. Hopefully it wasn't a sign that it's not as far advanced as people assumed it was. Hopefully they're planning a dedicated Nintendo Direct video this summer to really show it off.

They haven't really said one way or another that the GameCube adapter is just for Super Smash Brothers, so I hope they clarify that soon. At least we now know a release date and price, but I hope it ends up allowing me to use my Wavebird in many Wii U games.

I'm really puzzled about the lack of HD remasters. I would've bet on at least one being announced in a franchise that hasn't been touched by a Wii U specific project in the past or will be over the next year or so.

Didn't expect Metroid Prime Trilogy although I'll admit to hoping to see that be announced. But I really thought they'd at least announce something on a much smaller scale like Wave Race: Blue Storm, F-Zero GX, or Luigi's Mansion.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo wins.
New Zelda, Starfox, and the long awaited(and thought dead) Devil's Third as a WiiU exclusive! I'm shocked...in a good way.

Oh, almost forgot for someone of my age(40) that thinks 8-bit Nintendo was the greatest gaming console of all time(nostalgia of course but also very fun to this day) Mario Maker is like a gift straight from heaven

Nintendo has my money the next couple years, as for my PS4, ummm 'Alien Isolation' and that is pretty much it so far.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sounds like tomorrow evening will be another broadcast for the 3DS.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-holding-two-e3-qaspresentations-smash-bros-new-3ds-game/

I hope they have something neat like Super Luigi 3D Land to announce.

Much too soon for the rumored Majora's Mask 3D. But 3DS is ready for another Mario platformer I think. Super Mario 3D Land dates to late 2011 and New Super Mario Bros. 2 is from the summer of 2012.

But what I really want to see is a 2D Metroid.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy hell the HD screens from the new Zelda are AWESOME

6Al6ESW.jpg

7C4hfqw.jpg

eSrMvGR.jpg

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When is that supposed to be coming out? Also screen shots from game play or just cut scenes?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
2015, and they didn't pinpoint just when exactly, but I can just about guarantee a September/October release barring any delays. Would be fully in line with Nintendo tradition.

The field shot was portrayed as gameplay although the camera never moved. The chase sequence that the 1st and 3rd shot came from was a cutscene.

After some disappointing overworlds in Zelda titles in recent years, I'm really excited for this one thanks to that shot and what they were saying about it. Exploring the overworld is something I've always enjoyed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks. That's still a long ways off. I have to admit I've been getting more interested in picking this system up, but I've been trying to refrain. Too many games and game systems as it is. Still, that Zelda game does make this system a lot more attractive to buy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mario Maker is intriguing. I have no interest in building levels (but if I was 12, I'd being going bananas! :D ). If user-levels are available for download, especially with a good ranking and review system, that would be cool.

I don't understand the Zelda thing. I play a couple hours of Zelda: Lawnmowing Service on the N64 or Gamecube. I didn't understand how Nintendo could release such a dull game and I gave up. Maybe it got better if I stuck with it, an upgrade to a riding lawnmower or something?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Those Zelda pics are actually gameplay. The shot was static for a minute but then the game started to play. They said it was a camera angle that the player would never experience but it was the game running on a Wii U for sure.

Nintendo's announcements were cool, but they're mostly 2015 games (hard to get excited) or were rumored before (also hard to get excited). I wanted like a new Metroid in 3D or something out of left field. Their "out of left field" was the Toad game.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It seems like Sony and Microsoft are putting too much emphasis on "social media" functionality. It's meaningless to me. I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account. I post enough inane comments in forums. I don't need to describe my uneventful life to the uncaring masses a 140 words at a time. Also, I can't stand that Facebook is a data mining windfall for Corporate America and the government.

Sony and MS should wake and realize that real gamers just want good, entertaining games to play.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SSB. I've never played it. Missed the whole N64 phenom. Didn't get it, based on reviews. Pacman. Fighting. Supermoves. Putting the smack down.Got it. That's so completely bonkers it's transcendent.When does this come out? I need to save up for a Wii bit of a splurge.

Users who are viewing this thread