What's new

NIGHT GALLERY Seasons 2 and 3? (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I for one am in love with that scenario considering the great care Image has shown with other tv on dvd releases. Hopefully in the next year we'll have something extra special coming our way like remaining season sets with some solid special features.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I see that Gord has removed his original message.

The plot thickens.

I just noticed this little blurb about another show

I don't know enough about CiC to remember if it had a Universal tag at the end of every syndicated ep- but if this is correct and Universal is licensing out TV properties like this (and Banachek, apparently), then maybe there is hope someone else will put out Night Gallery.
If TV Guide got a hold of it though, it doens't seem like we could expect any extras at all. Their releases so far have been completely bare bones- even down to the jacket graphics which look really rinky dink.

In any case, it is pretty obvious nothing will happen with it this year in R1. I just hope that if movement is made next year, and someone else puts it out- it is either as a complete series set for $200, or else they start with season two.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Has anyone purchased season 2? I'd be interested to know how the picture quality is. I've not heard anything about S2 since Gord's cryptic (since removed) post.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I certainly hope this becomes a reality. S2 is where "Night Gallery" really hit its stride, the often terrible Jack Laird vignettes notwithstanding. My favorite segment in the entire series ("Midnight Never Ends") appers in this season as well as the highly memorable "Green Fingers", "The Academy", "A Question of Fear", "The Caterpillar" and "Silent Snow--Secret Snow", among many others.

Hopefully we won't have to wait another 4 years for S3.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Heck yeah! I just saw this rumor posted on TVShowsonDVD.com and was thrilled to bits! Another show I had all but given up on. And the second season is full of great episodes.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I agree that some of the best NG episodes are during the second season, so it will be fantastic to see S2 arrive this year!

Claude North

Second Unit
Great news indeed! I hope that every NG fan buys this to warrant the release of the third season.

I wasn't quite old enough to have watched the show during its network run, so my memories are of the butchered syndicated versions. Still, the show had quite an impact on me, so I'm very excited about seeing season 2 in its original form.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Assuming a reasonable price tag and decent image quality (more or less what we got with S1) my prediction is that NG fans will flock to this one, Claude, as "the meat" of the series is featured here in S2. I also caught the hacked up syndication prints initially and still enjoyed Rod Serling's outre series considerably. The only detractor for me are the silly "blackout" vignettes that producer Jack Laird was so bizarrely pitching.

It would be great if there was at least a stills gallery of the paintings as a special feature. The Leonard Nimoy hosted short documentary on the series would make a nice bonus as well.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Another classic episode is Pickman's model. If I can get the first two seasons, I will be happy. The third season was okay but if I wouldn't miss it too much.

The history of these vignettes are interesting. Laird loved them but everyone from Serling to the network executives hated them. I 'm generally not in favor of cutting but if these vignettes mistakedly got dropped, I wouldn't mind.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Sometimes I think that it is precisely Serling's pleading with Laird that led him to champion the vignettes that much more. Rod Serling was, in spite of his height a very gregarious and extroverted, life of the party type and Laird was this rather oafish, socially awkward, withdrawn individual who spent far more time on NG poring over his typewriter into the wee hours and yet received far less of the noteriety that Serling did. (This is all from Scott Skelton's book). I think Jack Laird was intensely envious of Serling's fame, myself, and could explain why the two were always at loggerheads over the execution of NG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks