What's new

Nielsen/Video Scan sales ratios and Top 5 (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Finally some independent analysis, although some may argue it's bias as the data does heavily favor Blu-ray.

A few of the interesting points I came away with from Jim Bottom's comments:

I highly encourage everyone to read the article for themselves (it's not too long). Here is a direct link and the article can be found on pages 8 & 28.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Blu Ray had a great December and early January for sure...and at a time when HD DVD was rather quiet with releases. I wish we had some hard numbers up to December? ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
From thedigitalbits.com

" The first official retail tracking data from Nielsen VideoScan seems to show Blu-ray Disc outselling HD-DVD in unit software sales by a more than 2 to 1 margin, and the gap is widening. According to data reported in Home Media Retailing (you'll find it on page one of the digital edition available on their website) for the week ending 1/7/07, Year-to-Date tracking indicated that for every 47.14 HD-DVDs sold there were 100 Blu-ray Disc titles sold. Just a week later, ending 1/14/07, the same YTD tracking indicated just 38.36 HD-DVDs sold for every 100 Blu-ray Discs sold. What's more, tracking by Nielsen VideoScan since the inception of both formats appears to indicate that Blu-ray Disc is quickly erasing the sales lead HD-DVD enjoyed as a result of launching months earlier in 2006. On 1/7, HD-DVD's lead was 100 discs for every 85.05 Blu-ray Discs sold, while just a week later on 1/14, that lead had been reduced to 100 HD-DVDs for every 92.40 Blu-ray Discs sold.

Specific unit volume numbers are not available, but one would guess they're still fairly low. No doubt much of the sales surge has to do with the arrival of Sony's PS3 game system in November. We'll have to watch closely over the next few months to see if these trends are affected by specific new software/title releases on both formats from week to week. Still, this data seems to bear out claims made by the BDA at CES, to the effect that their format was outselling HD-DVD as of December 2006 and that the margin could grow to as much as 3 to 1 in early 2007. It'll be interesting to see how continuing sales of the PS3 (and new dedicated players for both formats) impact these numbers as well.

Stay tuned...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
It seems like pretty good numbers for BD to me. And the trend should continue considering the BO domination of BD supporting/exclusive studios recently.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Actually, it had the lead 2 weeks ago. Assuming the current trends continued along these last 2 weeks, BD would clearly have the lead now.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't matter anymore who or doesn't have the lead. Both formats are here for the long haul. They are too entrenched to abandon one or the other. Think how that would upset PS3 and XBOX360 owners. Everyone will eventually just buy a dual player. That's what I'll be doing.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
In addition, while percentages are good indicators, real sales numbers are much more valuable. Are we talking 100's of disk sales weekly, or thousands, or millions? Makes a big difference.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
From the HMR article on the front page:
Well Ken, don't you think you should...I don't know...release more than one title over the next 8 weeks? We've been told 40-50 titles by mid year, and you're behind by 35-45 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks