What's new

Nice article on some highly touted subs. (1 Viewer)

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
ok...I thought my 1400rms 18" project was nuts...

"Velodyne 1812

The massive Velodyne Signature 1812 subwoofer tips the scales at almost 400 pounds. The driver complement, just as massive as the aluminum and wood cabinet, includes 12" and 18" drivers mated to two 1250W amplifiers."

HAHAHAHAH!!! Those people are sick...i want to work for them!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
This brings up a thought question I've been beginning to formulate. :)

Upgradeitis being what it is, if I already have a sub that goes flat to 21 Hz, it's down -6 dB at 20 Hz (measured in my own room, not manufacturer numbers), is that good enough? I think that what it would cost me to get appreciably down lower, and in terms of the size of the box I have now vs what it would take to get appreciably lower, I'm think I'm all set.

(Was thinking about moving from a Vandersteen V2W to a Velodyne HGS-15 or a SVS PB2-Plus or a James EMB-12 or 15, Paradigm Servo 15, etc.)

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
"Krell MRS - The MRS has a 2600W amplifier that powers the two 15" drivers (each capable of 3" excursion), while the cabinet is constructed from 1" aluminum side panels and 2" baffles. The crossover electronics are even housed in their own metal case for isolation from the woofers. The cost of all this high-tech metal? A cool $28,000."
:eek:***gasp***:eek: I wonder what Bill Gates thinks of that bad boy?? I'm not sure who else could afford a $28k sub. And the box is made from 1" aluminum and a 2" aluminum baffle? Holy crap. They forgot the diamond and ruby encrusting.
Mike Allen.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
You can outgun any of the high dollar, commercially available sub for a fraction of the cost. How about dual Adire Audio Tumults, a QSC PLX1450 amp, and a BFD? In the right enclosure it should bury the MRS or the Vel.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
The Krell MRS is actually a steal at $28,000 when you consider you get 5 Bose Acoustimass cubes included in the price. :D

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I wonder how my dual AV15 sonotubes stack up to the big boys?

Is there something else to the article that I'm missing other than quoting manufacter specs?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I wonder how my dual AV15 sonotubes stack up to the big boys?
Sealed or Bass reflex? If reflex then it will probably outdo all of them...though Velodyne's Digital Drive room-correction is intriguing! And even sealed, if you factor in how much space yours takes up, the output and relative cost then you'll still come out on top. I can't believe how much mark up there is with this stuff!

- Dan Hine

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

HEHE...I like how you think Dan;).

My subs give me the best bass I've ever heard(by a huge margin). As you can see they're not totally finished yet, but they should before next week.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I don't get it. Where's the REVIEWS? All that's at that link is a big product listing. "Model 123, by XYZ, features blahblah and costs $$$$$."

That is not a review. Did I miss something?

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I think you missed the part where anyone dubbed this as a review, hehe :) It's just a little article describing the features and prices of high end subs, no more...no less.
Mike Allen

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Frank:

That 8" vent - is it commercially available, or is it fabricated? If it is fabricated, it is built from PVC? Also, are the endcaps flared, and if so how did you manage that? Thanks.

Ed

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, I think you missed the part where anyone dubbed this as a review, hehe It's just a little article describing the features and prices of high end subs, no more...no less.
/looks back at title of thread and original post
/smacks self in head
/lifts rock
/crawls under rock
/lets rock slam down

:frowning: Whoops...I must be REALLY tired. My bad. Just to show what a good sport I am when I make an @ss of myself, I won't even edit my original post. :D

Mike Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Don't worry man. I've made an @ss out of myself like 3 times today.....and it's only 5:20am :D
Mike Allen

Keir H

Second Unit
Man, looking at these subs again, if price was no object, would it be performance or design/styling that would get you to make a decision on one of these babies? They are all attractive and have great performance specs. This would be hard IF I had the $$$ :D Hey, I can dream! Another question, the Krell is rated to 20hz @ 120db?! Yikes, but it shows ya how much of a value the B4+ is in comparison. I also notice they did not list the Wilson XS?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Keir...I'd be interested to see how these stack up against the B4+ in the same environment...If, and I don't have any doubts, the B4+ matches them, its simply amazing....now at 28,000 bucks, you could get 7 B4+'s and a few crowns to run them @ 750 watts rms per unit....I can say that my B4+ is all I need for a 4500 CF room...hitting uncorrected peaks of 122 on the rat shack meter...a few 118's continuous for a few seconds (matrix heli scene) and this was a few ticks below reference on my system..and at 12 feet! That's just the "SPL" part...the sub is VERY tight...accurate, and I actually use it for music...it keeps right up with my speakers...almost like it isn't there...Add L7 into the mix, and ahhh...:) Glad to see it has been recognized...it deserves to be! If I wasn't afraid of busting something, I'd give it hell, and crank it up...the busting part is my house...not the sub:) Wife hates it too loud!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks