What's new

NHT Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

maxboy00

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
This is a follow up question to a post I made in the amp section of this forum. My speakers are rated at 6 Ohms, the sub I'm looking at (NHT B 10d) is rated at 4 Ohms. I know that speakers impedance cannot be different due to loads imposed on the amp, but since the sub will be connected to the LFE input, I don't see any issues with this kind of configuration. Any suggestions would be appreciated .
Thanks,

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
maxboy00 said:
I know that speakers impedance cannot be different due to loads imposed on the amp,
That is incorrect. I run a 4 ohm center channel and 8 ohm mains. I'll be swapping out to 4 ohm mains soon but still keeping my 8 ohm surrounds. No issues at all in 6 years.
maxboy00 said:
but since the sub will be connected to the LFE input, I don't see any issues with this kind of configuration.
You are correct, there will be no issues. The receiver can't see the final impedance of the sub since there is an amp between them. My subs are 2 ohm and my Pioneer receiver doesn't care one bit.

maxboy00

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Thanks for your reply!
I thought the sub LFE input and the amp's speaker inputs were independent from each other.
I will say that I am surprised that you are able to have different speaker loads with out damage to the source. One time I had a pair of Focal's 826W's (8 Ohms) and I was thinking of adding a pair of Dynaudio monitors ( 4 Ohms) , in a two channel configuration, and was advised not to do that due to the mismatched impedance . . . I had an Anthem 225 IA at the time. I was advised due to the demands of the speakers the amp was more prone to clip . Never found out if that was true or not.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought the sub LFE input and the amp's speaker inputs were independent from each other.
Which amp are we talking about here? If it is the sub amp, then mine doesn't have speaker inputs. It uses a 1/4" TRS input. Some plate amps use speaker inputs and RCA inputs. Doesn't really matter as the sub amp impedance is all that is seen by the LFE. In my case it is 10,000 ohms or so.
I will say that I am surprised that you are able to have different speaker loads with out damage to the source. One time I had a pair of Focal's 826W's (8 Ohms) and I was thinking of adding a pair of Dynaudio monitors ( 4 Ohms) , in a two channel configuration, and was advised not to do that due to the mismatched impedance . . . I had an Anthem 225 IA at the time. I was advised due to the demands of the speakers the amp was more prone to clip . Never found out if that was true or not.
My receiver is rated to drive any combination of loads as long as they aren't below 6 ohms. But in reality, it can drive a 4 ohm load. But when connected to a 15 amp circuit, dynamic scenes like gun shots will cause it to shut down. When I switch it to my dedicated 20 amp circuit for the room, it doesn't break a sweat on those scenes. I still haven't driven it to clipping levels either. My ears give out well before then.

maxboy00

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
My multichannel source is an Arcam AVR 400, it is driving my Monitor Audio RX6's with a center channel. And yes, the speakers are connected to typical speaker connections, the sub will be connected to the LFE input.
Your amp must have a beefy power supply with excellent current reserves, to handle the wide dynamics. And do you decide which amp service to use based upon what movie you decide to watch?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My multichannel source is an Arcam AVR 400, it is driving my Monitor Audio RX6's with a center channel. And yes, the speakers are connected to typical speaker connections, the sub will be connected to the LFE input.
You said "amp's speaker inputs". Inputs confused me a little.
Your amp must have a beefy power supply with excellent current reserves, to handle the wide dynamics. And do you decide which amp service to use based upon what movie you decide to watch?
The VSX-1014 was the last regular Pioneer receiver to use the Pioneer Elite power supply. It stays plugged into the 20amp circuit in the back of the room. I had done some re-arranging and tried to balance out the load between the 15 amp and 20 amp circuits but it did not work.
My sub amp has it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit in the front of the room. It has a pretty good power supply also - http://www.headlinedj.com/prodjshow/reviews/behringer%20ep2500.htm .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks