What's new

NHT loudspeakers - anybody here own or heard them? (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

LOL!

After I got the AZ's for my 2.1 system, I commented to my local NHT dealer how I would love to get 5 of them to replace the B&W's in my HT rig (604's, 601's, and a CC6). A system with 5 identical speakers in my MC rig has always been a desire of mine.

His reply was that he would gladly take my B&W's in trade, even-steven! Since I do enjoy the B&W's, I declined, but I remain very, very tempted.

Brian

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Read the review of the Classic 3 in The Absolute Sound. Very tempted. Think the Classic 3 will be an upgrade to the Energy Connoisseur C-3? I am aware of the power demand since I previously owned the SuperOne....I love that speaker.

Mark Russ

Second Unit

Even though the Energy C-3 is a damned fine speaker in it's own right, don't think it Danny, KNOW it!

Didn't you have a pair of SB3 at one time? Well, the Three is a definite overall upgrade over the SB3, FWIW.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Never owned the SB3, although I heard it at a dealer when they were powered by a Classe integrated amp. Amazing sound quality.

I have read many comments on how the Classic 3 is an improvement over the SB3, and since the Classic 3 is currently available at J&R (an authorized dealer - confirmed via email by NHT today) for $600/pair shipped, this is the reason I am tempted.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FYI, the latest Audio Advisor close-out catalog has a system with four Classic 2's, a SW10, and a Classic Center for $1200. For some reason, some of their photos are of SB's, not Classics, but the wording clearly states that they are Classics. Their ad copy says that you are getting the center for free.

They also have Classic 4's on special, but I don't recall the cost.

Very, very tempting. I don't need the sub, but would love to hear a system with four 2's and a Center.

Brian

og33

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I've had SB-1's used as L/C/R with SuperZero Xu's as surrounds in a 5.1 system....upgraded to Classic 2's L/C/R. A really great improvement over the Super Audio Series. Very accurate and neutral. I'd wanted the Classic 3's but the delay in their launch (and at the time, the price) caused me to go the 2 route. I've since upgraded to the 3's as mains with a 3C. The imaging is wonderful, mids and highs very revealing without being fatiguing at all. I found the midrange of the 2's to be a bit recessed, though still very good. Neither speaker is forward sounding, but the 3's (because of their midrange driver) really are a revelation. I would highly recommend them. I was lucky as my dealer allowed me to trade up each time I moved 'up the ladder' so it wasn't a big blow to the budget. I've not heard the 4's but from what I've read (and for the money) they would be my choice in a full range 2 channel system.

Mark Russ

Second Unit

I'd go with Threes on stands with an Evolution U1 or U2 set for subs for music before the Fours, especially since the price would be real close to that of Fours. The Evo subs are sealed, while the Fours built in passive subs are ported. Dual U1 subs is the ultimate.

Fours would be great for HT though.

Also, FWIW, the relatively new NHT pre-pro, called the Controller, has NHT model specific DEQ built right in that you choose by the set up menu.

dan-0

Stunt Coordinator
I've had various NHT products over the years and to this day the 'ol super one's remain as my surrounds. Companies like NHT, PSB, and such are always going to provide a great bang for the buck.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Count me in for an avid NHT fan. Over the years I've owned the VS-2's, legendary 3.3s, and Evolution M6s. All fantastic. For my ears and money, it's pretty hard to beat the quality sound from NHT for the price. You have to spend a great deal more to up it and even then it's rather subjective.

Kin Poon

Stunt Coordinator

hey tony, whats up? thanks for your NHT speaker! ...even though i accidentally dropped the center when i was moving into a new house.

what speakers do you have now?

Ben-S

Grip
This is what I posted on another forum:

I had a system for a while that I was not totally satisfied with. The 2 main problems were a center channel that never quite sounded right when playing movies and (to my ears) a lack of proper integration with my sub. After much auditioning I bought 6 Classic Threes and a Three C. Both the center channel problem and the sub integration problem have been solved. Incredible speakers for not a whole lot of money. I've been involved in this insane hobby for well over thirty years now and I am most impressed with NHT. By the way - the speaker system that I was not totally satisfied with was, Paradigm Sigs - S4's, S2's and the C3. I kid you not.

I'm a fan of NHT as well. I've owned the 2.5 and the 3.3. Both were very good speakers. Also, they looked good. Nice finishes and cool, angled shapes.

Haven't heard the new Classic line. Although I did check out the XD system. Thought it sounded good for its size, but is outdone by some larger designs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of angled, this (early 90s?) is the NHT that first got me interested in them . IIRC the angled enclosure helped maintain a stable stereo image over a wide listening area.

Milner

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Milner
Add me to the fan club....
I have a pair of classic 4's and a 2c center. LOVE them!!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any opinions on the Super Two Towers? I'll be picking up 2 pairs of them this weekend from a member on here. What center speakers should I be looking at to accompany them? How would they compare to the KEF Q Series? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks