What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
sean1976 said:
If Rask plays like he has been there's no stopping Boston. I can't believe we ( Toronto ) gave up Rask for Raycroft, one of the worst trades ever.
In addition, that 3 goal comeback with 5 minutes remaining in the third of the first round against the Leafs gives the current run a feel of destiny IMO. Aside from Boston ripping my heart out and serving it to me on a platter last month, I think the people of Boston kind of deserve this one.
Along with the deal for Kessel, giving up three high draft picks that ended up being Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight. The Leafs should have their name etched somewhere on the Cup if the Bruins win it again, as they certainly have helped Boston a great deal.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm done crying in my beer. Anyone wanna drink it? :rolling-smiley:

I'm proud of the way the Kings fought back in that game, but the last two games were lost on some really bad shots Quick allowed. Not that there's any room to critique him based on how the team rode his stellar play to the cup last year, and to the conference finals this year. But I remember both bad goals in games 4 and 5 going in and thinking at the time they were scored "I bet that's going to cost us" meaning we'd lose by that margin. And we did.

The announcers brought up a good point. The Blackhawks apparently have Quick's number. He will give up just a handful of bad goals in a season, and 80% of them will go to Chicago. No idea why.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,Are you going to get to see any of the Calder Cup? The Griffins just may win it all this year!

http://theahl.com/stats/bracket.php?view=brief&season_id=42
Scott,

I usually do not follow the AHL. If we didn't have plans this weekend, though, I would have loved to talk my wife into making a trip to Grand Rapids to see a finals game.

Carlo, you should be quite pleased with the two year run the Kings have completed. A Cup win followed by a conference finals appearance is an excellent accomplishment. I know it's tough not seeing them defend the title, but that happens rarely now in the NHL. They should be back for another try next season.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Scott Merryfield said:
Along with the deal for Kessel, giving up three high draft picks that ended up being Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight. The Leafs should have their name etched somewhere on the Cup if the Bruins win it again, as they certainly have helped Boston a great deal.
Well the jury is still out on this trade. I myself am a Kessel fan. He certainly trounced Seguin in terms of numbers during that playoff series. In fact I'm not sure Seguin had a goal. As far as Hamilton and Knight go, only time will tell. Right now though Kessel's just hitting his prime and is a a pretty great player.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
sean1976 said:
Well the jury is still out on this trade. I myself am a Kessel fan. He certainly trounced Seguin in terms of numbers during that playoff series. In fact I'm not sure Seguin had a goal. As far as Hamilton and Knight go, only time will tell. Right now though Kessel's just hitting his prime and is a a pretty great player.
Seguin is still developing (he's only 21), and is already a more complete player than Kessel, IMO. With his talent, he's going to be an All-Star for many years. Hamilton looks like he will be a top pairing defenseman soon, too. The only question mark is Knight -- it remains to be seen whether he will make it in the NHL.

If I was rebuilding an NHL team, as the Leafs were, I would much rather have Seguin and Hamilton than Kessel. I doubt you would find many NHL general managers who would disagree.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I can't disagree because I love Seguin. :) Another player whom I'm really interested in seeing develop is Krug. Thus far, he has looked very promising.

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
Scott Merryfield said:
If I was rebuilding an NHL team, as the Leafs were, I would much rather have Seguin and Hamilton than Kessel. I doubt you would find many NHL general managers who would disagree.
Well at the time there was a real push to make the playoffs .. we had been rebuilding for so long that Burke pulled the trigger. It's far too early to comment on Hamilton IMO, but I think the trade benefited both teams. I don't think we'll be able to fairly judge for about 4 or 5 more years really. If Kessel ends up helping the leafs win the cup for the first time since '67, regardless of how the draft picks turn out, Toronto will definitely consider the trade a win.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I was wrong about Bylsma, as his contract has been renewed for two years.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9375498/dan-bylsma-signed-extension-pittsburgh-penguins
I would have been surprised to see him fired, but there have to be some changes soon with the roster. There are too many high profile players to fit within the salary cap. They are negotiating a new deal for Malkin, which will likely be $9-10M per year for a long term. I would expect Kunitz, Letang and Dupuis to want big contracts soon, and I am not sure when Neal's contract is up. When you throw in Crosby's big contract and what they are overpaying Fleury, that is just too many mouths to feed in this salary cap era.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I wonder who stayed up late to watch all the overtimes? I was only able to watch half of the 1st overtime, as it was getting late.

If this game is any indication of what the entire series will be, it looks like it will go a full 7.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,I watched the entire game. This could end up being an epic series, and one for the ages. I think it's great that these two teams have never met in the Finals before for the Stanley Cup.

I am reminded too that Boston lost games one and two in Vancouver en route to winning the Stanley Cup two years ago. Still, I'd love for the Bruins to take game two, of course. ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Ockeghem said:
Walter,I watched the entire game. This could end up being an epic series, and one for the ages. I think it's great that these two teams have never met in the Finals before for the Stanley Cup.

I am reminded too that Boston lost games one and two in Vancouver en route to winning the Stanley Cup two years ago. Still, I'd love for the Bruins to take game two, of course. ;)
Yeah, hockey could not ask for a better matchup than these 2 teams, after the bitter lockout. Whoever wins, it's no fluke since both teams have won the Cup during a full season recently.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I stayed up for the whole epic contest. Today I just keep replaying in my head Lucic not shooting at the end of the second OT and Daugevins (he of the cutesy shootout attempt) trying to get cute with the puck instead of just shoving it in the open net in the third OT. :(

I sure hope that Thornton and Horton are OK. It's not looking good for Horty. :(

Honestly, all that said, that was an incredible game.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,

And I can't recall who it was for Boston that hit the post in one of the overtimes, only to have the puck deflect out instead of in. I think Pittsburgh can attest to this happening to them as well a few times recently. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
I wonder who stayed up late to watch all the overtimes? I was only able to watch half of the 1st overtime, as it was getting late.

If this game is any indication of what the entire series will be, it looks like it will go a full 7.
You wimps are saying that game ended late? And you call yourselves hockey fans...

Sincerely,
The West Coast
:rolling-smiley:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Carlo Medina said:
You wimps are saying that game ended late? And you call yourselves hockey fans...

Sincerely,
The West Coast
:rolling-smiley:
The one time that I did stay up late, the Kings playoff dreams ended.

:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
The one time that I did stay up late, the Kings playoff dreams ended.

:D
Oh I see...we're playing prison rules!
picture-10.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks