What's new

NHL 2012-13 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot Rolling Stones, for making the Kings and Blackhawks play back-to-back nights in the playoffs. Doesn't Keith Richards have a Pirates of the Caribbean movie to be working on?

Now I'm going to be a nervous wreck for both days of my weekend. If I wanted both days to be stressed I'd have just stayed at work, at least then I'd be paid! :angry:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Pittsburgh looked a little flat last night. That is the type of game Boston needs to play in order to win the series -- low scoring. The Bruins cannot get into a shootout with the Penguins.

I did think the exchange of penalties between Matt Cooke and Brad Marchand was a little biased. Cooke got a five minute major and ejection for checking from behind, yet Marchand only got two minutes for an identical hit later in the game. Cooke's reputation cost him.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well that was about as flat as the Kings could come out, at least for periods 1 and 2. They were lucky to be up 1-0 after the first, on a fluke goal, and Chicago really put it to them in period 2. If it wasn't for Quick, they might have been down 5-1 going into the third.

I know the Kings have shown in the Blues series that they can come back from 0-2, but tonight is really feeling like a must-win.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One fact I heard this weekend that does not bode well for the Kings -- the last three times the President's Cup winner has faced the defending Stanley Cup champs in the playoffs, the President's Cup winner has won the series. Regardless, LA needs to figure out how to win on the road.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I agree that the difference in penalties for Cooke and Marchand was not fair, although I don't agree that the hits were identical. It wouldn't surprise me if history played into it a little -- Marchand's no angel, but his rap sheet is a lot shorter than Cooke's.

The only thing stranger than seeing Malkin and Bergeron(!) fighting was seeing Crosby going after Z!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Somebody spoke and I went into a dream." And when I woke up, the Bruins had defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins in game one (3-0) and game two (6-1) -- in Pittsburgh. I am amazed at how well the Bruins are playing right now, especially defensively. This team has knocked itself into another gear since the Toronto series. And Tuukka Rask is playing exceptionally well, and a hot goalie can take you very far in the playoffs.Go Bruins!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am very surprised by the Penguins in this series. They have picked a terrible time to stop playing well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them switch back to Fleury starting in goal, as it is desperation time in Pittsburgh.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I turned the game on at the start of the 2nd period, and shocked to see the Bruins being up 4-1. Then watching the 2nd period, and I can see why. Looks like all that firepower of the Penguins have been put out.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
For all of Boston's scoring prowess in this series thus far, it's their defense (and especially the play of Rask) that is impressing me. I don't want to jump the gun yet, but I would love to see the first-ever Stanley Cup final played between the Blackhawks and Bruins.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ok that was a little better. Kings have at least showed signs of life. If they hold court Thursday it's a series again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carlo,

That was a much-needed victory for the Kings. I was pulling for them all the way last night, and I really want them to even up the series tomorrow night. That off-sides against Chicago around the 15:00 minute mark of the third period was quite scary, because that could easily have resulted in a tie game. And as a Kings fan, I don't think you want to see an OT game at this point in the series.

As good as the Kings are at home (fifteen straight now?), they're going to have to win one in Chicago. I hope they do, because as a Bruins fan, I want to see the Western Conference final go as long as possible. And if the Kings somehow pull out this series (I did after all pick them to defeat the Blackhawks, and you know that my picks are a sure thing ;)), then Boston would have home ice advantage in the Final, assuming that they defeat the Penguins. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that was about the most ridiculous time for a complete line change I've ever seen, coupled with a horribly short clearing attempt that essentially led to a fast break.

While tensions and emotions ramp up as the playoffs go on, I thought the Hawks had a couple of cheap shots last night, the stick to the face of Carter and then also when Shaw tried to spear Carter in the groin. I know Carter's a physical and skilled player that opponents want to knock off his game, but you have to do it within the [admittedly broad] rules of hockey. The league should really take a good look at those two incidents and take measures to dissuade those types of plays.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game. It's the classic proverb that series don't get interesting until the road team wins one. Well if the Hawks win it, they'll have a commanding 3-1 lead with 2 games on home ice left, where the Kings have been subpar all playoffs. If the Kings win it, they'll not only be even at 2-2, but perhaps the specter of what they did to the Blues (going down 0-2 then reeling off four straight Ws) may start to creep into Chicago's minds, making Game 5 a must win for them, or face an elimination game in Staples where the Kings haven't lost in ages.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What an incredible game last night. I had to keep DVR-ing the extra periods because the shows succeeding the NHL game weren't programmed -- LOL. I am really looking forward to the Blackhawks - Kings game tonight so I can relax a bit. ;)

I can't remember seeing so many posts hit (from both teams) in one game before. The one by Horton was chilling. I was thinking how close that came to winning the game. But the Penguins had their chances too, and could easily have had one or two more goals. The Bruins have outscored the Penguins 11-2 in three games, and Crosby doesn't have a point yet.Unfortunately, Campbell is gone for the playoffs after having broken his leg. That is one tough dude.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400467914

I certainly don't believe in jinxes, but I thought it worth mentioning that this is the first time this season that Pittsburgh has lost three consecutive games. The Blackhawks hadn't lost three consecutive games all season either until they had played the Red Wings just recently in the playoffs.

By the way, note to Bruins brass: Resign Horton. That's an order. :)

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
The Bruins appear to be a team of destiny.
As an avid Bruins' hater,I find it difficult to cheer against them this postseason,given the events in Boston on April 15.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gregory Campbell skating around on the PK with his stick in one hand and his broken leg(!) in the other is going to be an iconic image in Boston sports. I know it'll be a very long time before I forget it.

Tuukka sure picked a good game in which to OD on Wheaties. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
phil* said:
The Bruins appear to be a team of destiny.
As an avid Bruins' hater,I find it difficult to cheer against them this postseason,given the events in Boston on April 15.
Oh, I don't find it difficult at all. ;)

You can stick a fork in the Penguins... they are done. Pittsburgh had to win last night's game to have any chance -- even though Boston is the most recent team to blow a 3-0 series lead (mentioning this in hopes of jinxing the Bruins :D ).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
One of the announcers made a comment during the OT last night along the lines of "I hope you're all enjoying this as much as we are. . .if you're not, it must be because you care who wins!" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks