What's new

NFL OverRuns (1 Viewer)

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I just read that the NFL has decided to change the start times of it's late games to 4:25 pm EST so as not to interfere with the end to the early games. They are doing this because they changed the overtime rules and the games will run longer now. This does not bode well for the CBS Sunday schedule. They insist on having 4 prime times shows on Sunday night and a lot of times they start almost an hour late. It screws up DVR times and all kinds of stuff. I hope they change their schedule and do what Fox does and just run recaps until 8:00. They are rarely, if ever delayed. Altho this might be bad now too with the later start times.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I live on the West Coast so it does not come into play for me.
Before anyone comes in here and complains about it and suggests that the networks should force the NFL to change remember this, as far as CBS is concerned the NFL > primetme programming.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I signed up for the Eye-Alert, so I get an e-mail when the revised starting times of the shows will be. But still, I know a bunch of people on this board will still be extra pissed.

Too often, people take it out on 60 Minutes, saying it should be shortened or preempted for the rest of the lineup to start on time.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It is going to blow for those of us who will be following The Mentalist to Sunday evenings. Having said that, I'll just have to remember to setup a recurring block that records for 3 hours starting at the show's normal start time on the DVR and watch the show on Monday evenings.
- Walter.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm an NFL watcher and don't watch CBS primetime so this won't affect me except I'll get more coverage between games. I find it very funny however that the stated reason for the change is the new OT rules. There are maybe 6 OT games a year. They didn't change the start times for those 6 games. They changed the start times to add 10 minutes to the viewing block and add more commercials. No doubt.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, agree the fact that they're using the new overtime rules as an excuse is laughable.

There are still shows on network TV in primetime?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I blame CBS's insistence on running all Sunday night programming "in it's entirety," after a doubleheader. They know there are going to be NFL overruns. Either they need to get out of the NFL business or have enough brains to modify the east coast schedule when overruns occur.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Malcolm R /t/321869/nfl-overruns#post_3945162
I blame CBS's insistence on running all Sunday night programming "in it's entirety," after a doubleheader. They know there are going to be NFL overruns. Either they need to get out of the NFL business or have enough brains to modify the east coast schedule when overruns occur.

I agree entirely. During NFL season, cut out an hour and use it for scoreboard shows or something the way FOX does it now. Fox, rarely if ever, goes long. Just say 60 Minutes will start at 8:00 and be done with it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Isn't this an issue of the past with modern DVRs?? Don't most (all) DVRs allow you to pad scheduled recordings??

My only CBS Sunday PM show is The Good Wife, and when it moved to Sunday last year I just modified its Season Pass on my TiVo with a one-hour pad past the scheduled ending time. I didn't miss a second of the show. I may increase that this year with the new overtime rules.

I guess I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's 2012, and we have the technology available to deal with this.

That said, I do agree that CBS should follow Fox's lead and just dump the 6-7 PM (CST) hour of Sunday programming during football season and be done with it.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Craig S /t/321869/nfl-overruns#post_3945410
Isn't this an issue of the past with modern DVRs?? Don't most (all) DVRs allow you to pad scheduled recordings??
Yes, DVR's do make it easier. Unfortunately bedtime, due to to an early job start time, prevents me from watching on Sunday nite when there is an over run. Most notably, The Amazing Race. I hate it when I miss it and then have to try and avoid all mentions of it the next day. If CBS moved just that one show to another nite, this wouldn't bother me at all.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think CBS should just omit The Amazing Race as part of its fall schedule. All of the reality shows which run two cycles per season are wearing themselves out little by little, and while it might not be as easy to find a replacement for Dancing with the Stars on ABC, CBS has a built-in replacement with the NFL, and for those few weeks when there is no late game, either run a special or rerun one of their multitude of procedurals which play to large audiences no matter where on the schedule they are placed.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
Craig S said:
Sure, but if you're got other shows occupying the tuners after the delayed program was scheduled to end it causes conflicts. And Sunday night is a pretty busy night for quality TV.
I find it easier just to avoid CBS programming on Sunday nights altogether. There have been a few programs I would have otherwise watched that I've dumped after the 3rd over run. Because it's not just football. It's golf, tennis, Nascar, basketball........there really is no season that is safe from over runs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Eddie W. /t/321869/nfl-overruns#post_3946187
Sure, but if you're got other shows occupying the tuners after the delayed program was scheduled to end it causes conflicts. And Sunday night is a pretty busy night for quality TV.
I find it easier just to avoid CBS programming on Sunday nights altogether. There have been a few programs I would have otherwise watched that I've dumped after the 3rd over run. Because it's not just football. It's golf, tennis, Nascar, basketball........there really is no season that is safe from over runs.

I can get The Good Wife On Demand one day later, so it's not a big deal, but The Mentalist isn't offered On Demand, so it's either find a way to record the show when it airs or wait for reruns.

CBS did thoughtfully begin last season providing information when the next show in the line-up would begin airing on evenings with NFL runover. That was greatly appreciated. Not the perfect solution, but at least there was an attempt to be more user friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks