What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Any conspiracy theorists out there? If so, who do you think pulled the power plug at the Superdome, someone from (a) the 49ers, (b) the NFL, or (c) Vegas ('cause every good conspiracy theory needs to include Vegas)? :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Posten said:
Thank yew for your support! ;) And condolences to you guys! Was a hell of a game!
Sam, You're quite welcome, and congratulations. :) I gambled a lot when I was much younger. I played the football 'cards' (meaning the cards that were distributed back in the 1960s and 1970s) several times with my father when I was a child and a teenager. The object was to pick at least ten games correctly against the spread. You could bet as little as $1.00, and you could win a lot of cash (depending on how much you bet) if you got all of your picks correct. My father would bet more than this, since he wanted his return to be greater if he won. Anyway, a couple of times after I had made my picks, I reversed all of them just for fun right before I turned my card in. (After all, it was only $1.00 I was going to lose.) I can recall doing better when I reversed my picks than when I did not despite very little reasoning being used when I reversed the choices. My father and I used to laugh at this. He would also allow me to bet against him for fun, and he would give me first crack at which games and teams I could pick to win against the spread, and he won almost every time. To this day, I find the NFL to be the most difficult of the four major sports to call correctly against the spread.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So, I guess the NFL needed a new stat as in "....since power outage". That was certainly convenient for the 9ers, but really? A power outage in the Superbowl at a recently revamped Super Dome? I blame Buffalo Wild Wings.....
Oh, and yes, the Ravens are [SIZE= 20px]Superbowl 47 Champions!!!!![/SIZE]

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here in the Baltimore area, my wife and I had a hearty chuckle at the start of the second half.
Earlier in the day, we saw a commercial for Gardiner's furniture stores. They said that anyone who bought furniture BEFORE 3PM on Sunday, would get their furniture for free if the Ravens returned either the first quarter or third quarter kickoff for a TD.
When we saw the ad, we looked at each other and thought, "They must have gone over the vegas odds and picked out the least likely thing they could find."
Then, when it happened, we broke out laughing. Wonder if the guy that thought up that idea got the axe before the game was over?
Here's an article.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Jason Charlton said:
Here in the Baltimore area, my wife and I had a hearty chuckle at the start of the second half. Earlier in the day, we saw a commercial for Gardiner's furniture stores.  They said that anyone who bought furniture BEFORE 3PM on Sunday, would get their furniture for free if the Ravens returned either the first quarter or third quarter kickoff for a TD. When we saw the ad, we looked at each other and thought, "They must have gone over the vegas odds and picked out the least likely thing they could find." Then, when it happened, we broke out laughing.  Wonder if the guy that thought up that idea got the axe before the game was over? Here's an article.
I doubt it. The article states the company took out insurance to cover themselves. This is common practice with these sorts of promotions/contests. Similar insurance policies are taken out in the million dollars for a hole-in-one contest promotions held at certain local golf events.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
I doubt it. The article states the company took out insurance to cover themselves. This is common practice with these sorts of promotions/contests. Similar insurance policies are taken out in the million dollars for a hole-in-one contest promotions held at certain local golf events.
I realize there was insurance... our crack about him getting canned was a joke. At least we thought it was funny that it actually happened.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This game will forever have an asterisk because of the non-call (actually there were at least two) and the power outage. I'm hoping that the Ravens will really win a Super Bowl next year. Ray Lewis will have to come out of retirement, which I fully expect him to do. Go Ravens!

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
This game will forever have an asterisk because of the non-call (actually there were at least two) and the power outage. I'm hoping that the Ravens will really win a Super Bowl next year. Ray Lewis will have to come out of retirement, which I fully expect him to do.
Go Ravens!
There were noncalls on both sides of the coin so I don't buy into the asterisk for officiating. Now that power outage....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
ChristopherG said:
There were noncalls on both sides of the coin so I don't buy into the asterisk for officiating.  Now that power outage....
Christopher, I was going to continue to post outrageous and unsubstantiated remarks relating to the Super Bowl, but I'll just drop it here. Of course I was joking, just in case you didn't know that. :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Here in the Bay Area some of the 49ers and most of their fans are in full whine mode over the non-call. Interestingly when pressed their fans just cannot bring themselves to admit that the 49ers got the non-call in the NFC Championship game. I just love the irony of the non-call. The 49ers got their gift in the NFC Championship game and the Ravens got theirs in the Big game.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Scott, I guess I should have picked up on that but I have been bouncing between some team forums where there are folks who actually say that with no sarcasm intended....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
ChristopherG said:
Scott, I guess I should have picked up on that but I have been bouncing between some team forums where there are folks who actually say that with no sarcasm intended....
Christopher, I guess that's not too surprising. For the record, I certainly believe that the Baltimore Ravens deserved to win the Super Bowl this year. They defeated the Indianapolis Lucks, and both the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots on their home fields en route to their victory over the San Francisco 49ers. I heard this on the radio this morning. It's more of an anomaly than anything else, but it's still fun to think about. Of the last four Super Bowl winners, each team has been the Philadelphia Eagles' first regular season home game opponent (Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans, and the New York Giants). So if you want to win the Super Bowl, be sure to play the Eagles in their regular season home opener. ;) Even though the full 2013 regular season is not yet known, the Eagles will (of course) play home and away games against the other teams in their division (Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins), and they will also be hosting the Bears, Lions, Chiefs, Chargers, and Cardinals. Now I just need to learn which team they will be hosting first next season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
Here in the Bay Area some of the 49ers and most of their fans are in full whine mode over the non-call. Interestingly when pressed their fans just cannot bring themselves to admit that the 49ers got the non-call in the NFC Championship game.
I just love the irony of the non-call. The 49ers got their gift in the NFC Championship game and the Ravens got theirs in the Big game.
I didn't have a problem with the non-call because the officials for the most part let these two very physical teams play throughout the game. I rather have that than the alternative in which the officals are calling penalties left and right with many of them being questionable ones.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Robert Crawford said:
I didn't have a problem with the non-call because the officials for the most part let these two very physical teams play throughout the game.  I rather have that than the alternative in which the officials are calling penalties left and right with many of them being questionable ones.
I'll agree with Crawdaddy's sentiment. While a few non-calls ended up being more damaging to the 49ers, that's just luck of the draw, because the officials were extremely consistent throughout the game with the types of calls they made, and the calls they didn't make. Contrast that to the Ravens/Broncos game where there were phantom calls and ticky-tack calls on one end, and at the same time, obvious holds, pass interference, and hands to the face calls that were not made. A game like that has to be nightmare to play in. Overall, a very fun game to watch, other than the painful scramble of the CBS crew to present us with something professional during the power outage.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
I heard this on the radio this morning. It's more of an anomaly than anything else, but it's still fun to think about. Of the last four Super Bowl winners, each team has been the Philadelphia Eagles' first regular season home game opponent (Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans, and the New York Giants). So if you want to win the Super Bowl, be sure to play the Eagles in their regular season home opener. ;) Even though the full 2013 regular season is not yet known, the Eagles will (of course) play home and away games against the other teams in their division (Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins), and they will also be hosting the Bears, Lions, Chiefs, Chargers, and Cardinals. Now I just need to learn which team they will be hosting first next season.
Well, we now know the Lions will not be playing in the Eagles home opener, because there is no way they are ever getting to the Super Bowl. :laugh: They are the only NFL team that is a perfect 0-47 in attempts to make it to the big game.
Robert Crawford said:
I didn't have a problem with the non-call because the officials for the most part let these two very physical teams play throughout the game.  I rather have that than the alternative in which the officials are calling penalties left and right with many of them being questionable ones.
I didn't have a problem with either that no-call or the one in the NFC Championship game. In this case, the 49ers lost because they made too many mistakes and dug themselves too deep a hole to climb out of. Even with that, they had four plays inside the 10 yard line at the end of the game to win and couldn't get it in the end zone. Baltimore did what they needed to in order to win, and San Fran did not.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Are the Loins and the Browns the only two teams that have not made it to the Super Bowl? Technically the Browns are 0-4x but those poor old Loins are really starting to build an impressive streak.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
Are the Loins and the Browns the only two teams that have not made it to the Super Bowl? Technically the Browns are 0-4x but those poor old Loins are really starting to build an impressive streak.
If you believe the NFL's version of Browns history, they still had a three year hiatus between when the original Browns moved to Baltimore after the '95 season and the new, expansion Browns started playing. If you recognize the truth that the original Browns have won two Super Bowls as the Baltimore Ravens, then the Lions are the only team around from the start of the Super Bowl era not to make it to the game. The other teams to not make it are the expansion Jaguars, Texans and Browns. One other Lions fact of Super Bowl era ineptitude -- they have the fewest playoff wins during the Super Bowl era (if you once again subscribe to the NFL's version of Cleveland Browns history). Detroit has won exactly one playoff game since their last NFL championship in 1957 -- beating Dallas in 1991 before getting trounced by the Redskins in the NFC Championship game. Even the recent expansion teams in Jacksonville, Carolina and Houston can better that. If you believe the new Browns are a separate team, then they have fewer and are the only team to not win a single postseason game during the SB era. And just for the record, there has been a single owner of the team during this amazing run of incompetence -- Williams Clay Ford, Sr. The Ford family bought him the team to give him a plaything and keep his incompetence away from the auto company. Ford, Sr. is living proof that it's impossible for a team to lose money in the NFL. Had the family instead bought him the Tigers, Red Wings, or Pistons, he would have bankrupted the team long ago with his bumbling ineptness. I am 50 years old and have seen one Lions playoff win in my lifetime!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And congrats to John Harbaugh for winning the Super Bowl, already surpassing Andy Reid in that regard. John Harbaugh was the special teams coach for the Eagles, before becoming head coach of the Ravens.
Originally Posted by Ockeghem
I heard this on the radio this morning. It's more of an anomaly than anything else, but it's still fun to think about. Of the last four Super Bowl winners, each team has been the Philadelphia Eagles' first regular season home game opponent (Baltimore, Green Bay, New Orleans, and the New York Giants). So if you want to win the Super Bowl, be sure to play the Eagles in their regular season home opener.
I was at that home opener against the Saints in 2009. Right from the start, it was a horrible game to watch, as I did not think the Saints would be good that season. Little did I know, they would end up winning it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks