What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Scott Merryfield said:
If I wasn't a Steelers fan, that would be my #1 reason for rooting for the 49ers, too.
Why all the hate for Ray? After the first quarter of the NE/BALT game that the Pats at least controlled if not dominated the game, I though how many times have I seen a team win the battle and lose the war? After all that effort all they had was 3 points. But I still thought the Pats would win. They were 4-0 in AFC title games at home and something like 67-0 at home when leading at the half. So will the Pats really let Welker go in free agency?

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Jim Mcc said:
Because he's a scumbag felon who should be in prison.
Maybe. This much is true: somebody should be in prison for what happened to two men in Atlanta thirteen years ago, and Ray Lewis knows who. At best, he's an accessory to a double homicide, perhaps an accomplice to a double homicide, and at worst, he's a murderer. His supporters will claim he's a reformed man who has done so much good in the community, he's a role-model, a man of faith, a man of integrity, blah, blah, blah. Nonsense. Integrity demands truth, not lies. Integrity craves justice, not cover-ups. A superb football player? One of the best ever. A man of integrity? Please. Go Niners.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'll just be happy if Ray Lewis ends his career with a loss. Then again, win or lose, I'm sure he'll run around the field, looking for every camera he can find to do his little fake crying act.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I’m surprised no one has brought it up but on the Falcons fourth down play the 49er’s defender was clearly guilty of either illegal contact or pass interference. It would have been nice to see the officials not miss such an obvious penalty so late in the game. I say this almost every year, “seeing the Pats lose in the post-season just never gets old” but unfortunately it is now getting old. Their window of opportunity is clearly closing and the fact remains that they have not one a championship since their cheating was exposed. As for the Super Bowl, don’t really care who wins but I think the 49ers will probably win.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
I’m surprised no one has brought it up but on the Falcons fourth down play the 49er’s defender was clearly guilty of either illegal contact or pass interference. It would have been nice to see the officials not miss such an obvious penalty so late in the game.
I think that was a very close call, Patrick. The defender is allowed to contact the receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, which is where the contact was. So, there was no illegal contact. Whether they were still engaged when the ball arrived was a close call.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think that was a very close call, Patrick. The defender is allowed to contact the receiver within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, which is where the contact was. So, there was no illegal contact. Whether they were still engaged when the ball arrived was a close call.
I would agree that it was a close call, and the Falcons' cause wasn't helped by the referee being distracted from the play by having to duck out of the way of the pass. My pick for the Super Bowl, Ravens by a field goal. (I think the 49'ers are a more complete team, but I think the intangibles favor the Ravens.) - Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter Kittel said:
My pick for the Super Bowl, Ravens by a field goal. (I think the 49'ers are a more complete team, but I think the intangibles favor the Ravens.) - Walter.
Walter, I think this is very well said, and I believe it is what will occur as well, although maybe not by a field goal. I want the 49ers to win, but I believe Baltimore will win for those 'intangibles' that favor the Ravens. And as we know, the best team does not always win the Super Bowl -- not even the best team on a given day. I think it would be a lot of fun to see an overtime game in the Super Bowl.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Scott - Thanks. I'm watching the Ravens run in the playoffs and I'm kind of getting flashbacks to the Giant's run in 2007-08 and the Packer's run in 2010-11, in which both teams won multiple games on the road to eventual Super Bowl victories. I guess we'll see soon enough if this holds true for the Ravens. - Walter.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If Ray Lewis is "at best" an accessory to murder, then so is every other person who was at that club that night. Mrs. Welker is a character, though. I just hope that Talib's (hopefully) past character issues prevent other teams from offering him what he's worth. When he went down the other day, the whole defense fell apart.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
If Ray Lewis is "at best" an accessory to murder, then so is every other person who was at that club that night.
Why, did every other person at the club that night "lose" their blood stained suit and eventually agree to a plea bargain for obstruction of justice? As for Welker's wife, family members of pro athletes should be banned from Twitter. Nothing good ever comes from it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just read Mrs. Welker's comments. Really? 6 kids and 4 wives. So? Has she not watched Big Love? Maybe he has a penchant for Bat-Shyte crazy chicks. I have a problem with them as well...they are fun. Till something goes wrong. And it is a fineline to get away before that happens... The private lives of NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS should not matter on the field/court. Period. Yes, it was a "mistake" to let the guy a couple weeks ago "walk the sidelines". Maybe the city of Baltimore(I have friends there who say the story's are sensationalized) is complicit to keep a great team. Wouldn't be the first time a professional athlete/politician/clergy/teacher had their situation hushed. Is it right? No. But I have a feeling that if Ray was the one who pulled the trigger...he'd be in jail. The fact he was there...doesn't make him guilty. If they can let Burris play again...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At least Plaxico did about 2 years for getting shot in his own leg by his own gun while in a NY nightclub. Heh.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Why, did every other person at the club that night "lose" their blood stained suit and eventually agree to a plea bargain for obstruction of justice?
As for Welker's wife, family members of pro athletes should be banned from Twitter. Nothing good ever comes from it.
Who saw a blood stained suit?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
That's why it's called the Court of Public Opinion.
Well, for those in the Court of Public Opinion that believe Lewis killed those two guys, they are in for a rough two weeks then.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I guess Ray Lewis will have to live with being judged by opinions, but in the eyes of the law he has paid his price. I suppose I am biased as I am a Ravens fan, but most here in Maryland know that he has turned his life around completely since that moment. Ray has been an inspiration and mentor to young players and people who where at risk of making poor decisions. It is interesting to see how many people who choose to ignore, or simply don't grasp the concept of redemption.
That and everyone wishes they had Ray in their lineup for the last 17 years....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks