What's new

NFL 2012 Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Horrible coaching at the end of regulation for the Broncos. You have Peyton Manning for your QB, perhaps the ultimate Master of the hurry-up offense, over 30 seconds, and two timeouts. Why would you not attempt to get into field goal range and win the game? There was no guarantee that they'd even get the ball again if the Ravens won the coin toss (which they did) and scored a touchdown (which they did not). Seahawks/Falcons proved that 30 seconds can be an eternity in the NFL. Also multiple poor decisions on the part of Pete Carroll in that one: leaving too much time on the clock when your opponent only needs a field goal to win; the late timeout that allowed the kicker to adjust and re-kick after missing the first attempt. Seems like the Broncos and Seahawks both managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Funny part of the Falcons/Seahawks game... I made the comment "They could just let em score and leave themselves enough time for a field goal"... Lots of people thought I was nuts...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm, I think coaches may need to rethink 'icing' the kicker in the future. When the kicker has two attempts (adjusts, as you say), they don't do too badly on the second attempt.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hate that icing crap and despite the fact I wanted Seattle to win, I was happy it cost them the game. I would love for the league to figure out a way to outlaw it. Winning and losing shouldn't come down to crap like this. Of course, in the chargers case with Kaeding, he just chocked all by himself. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that dig. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm R said:
Horrible coaching at the end of regulation for the Broncos. You have Peyton Manning for your QB, perhaps the ultimate Master of the hurry-up offense, over 30 seconds, and two timeouts. Why would you not attempt to get into field goal range and win the game? There was no guarantee that they'd even get the ball again if the Ravens won the coin toss (which they did) and scored a touchdown (which they did not). Seahawks/Falcons proved that 30 seconds can be an eternity in the NFL. Also multiple poor decisions on the part of Pete Carroll in that one: leaving too much time on the clock when your opponent only needs a field goal to win; the late timeout that allowed the kicker to adjust and re-kick after missing the first attempt. Seems like the Broncos and Seahawks both managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
I wonder if the Denver coach was thinking about Peyton's propensity to force a pass into too tight a spot. One little mistake and no OT. That might have been his thinking, but I agree with you. They were taking a heckuva chance with the coin toss, but got away with it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why coaches don't go for the fake-out time-out to keep the PK guessing up until the snap. Can't really hurt, can't it? Too bad Gronk broke that left forearm once again. He probably came back 2 weeks too early after all. I had a bad feeling about the Falcons game once the Seahawks were moving the ball and peppering the 15-20 yard pass plays into the middle of the field in the 2nd half, as the Falcons didn't have an answer to that play since they were focused on stopping Lynch. I remember Matt Ryan staging a similar comeback against the Bears, so that sort of confidence does have a way of lifting one's play in those tense last seconds of the game. Now, that "squib" kick was the most ridiculous thing I saw after such a fine comeback FG from the Falcons. How did the kicker think for a moment an onside kick is what the coach intended for him to do? Kick the ball in a line drive fashion through the middle and make it harder for a return and pin them down inside their 30 yard line. Sheesh.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Johnny Angell said:
I hate that icing crap and despite the fact I wanted Seattle to win, I was happy it cost them the game. I would love for the league to figure out a way to outlaw it. Winning and losing shouldn't come down to crap like this. Of course, in the chargers case with Kaeding, he just chocked all by himself. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that dig. :D
I am not a fan of the "icing" maneuver, either. And at the NFL level, it usually has no affect anyway, so I do not understand why coaches still do it. Every time it backfires, I always chuckle and think "you deserved that".

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
And Eagle fans should've worried tha they hired Andy Reid junior.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
A great win for the Ravens. Congratulations to their fans. :) Although I want Baltimore to win in two weeks, I'm not sure whom to pick yet to win the Super Bowl. Defense is the name of the game, though. As I love defensive battles, I'm really hoping that this Super Bowl is another good one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I thought the Ravens - Pats game would be closer. Baltimore played really well. The Falcons looked the same as last week against Seattle. After getting a big lead early, once the opponent scored they immediately tightened up. This team just doesn't perform well under playoff pressure. I am not sure who I will be picking either, Scott, but I will be pulling for San Fran -- or more to the point, pulling against Baltimore. A Steelers fan cannot root for the Ravens.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, I believe I will be pulling for San Francisco as well, but for different reasons than you. (I wrote above that I would be rooting for the winner of the Patriots - Ravens game in the Super Bowl, but I've changed my mind.) Of course, once I do that, the Ravens are sure to win. I am 5-5 to this point, which is not exactly earth-shatteringly good. ;) Okay, my Super Bowl pick (and a score just for fun) is: San Francisco 21, Baltimore 17.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I think I'll just root against Terrell Sugg's team. ;)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm one happy camper. Born not far from the SF bay area, been a lifelong 49er fan all my life. When I moved to Baltimore, I happily cheered for the Ravens - since they're AFC I figured there was no conflict of interest (except on the odd chance they'd meet up in the Superbowl...) Who'd a thunk it?
No matter who wins, I'll be happy. I love my niners, but the fans here in Baltimore are just so passionate about their teams (O's too) that it's really hard not to get caught up in the excitement.
I'm pulling for an entertaining and well-fought battle on the field. It'll be one of those games where I root for "whoever's trailing" and just hope it's exciting and well-played.
I still won't watch the halftime show, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks