What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While the Chargers may not end up with an impressive final record, I think they will prevail in the AFC West by default. The division does not offer much competition. An early playoff exit is probably in their future again, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's a shame that younger fans will only know the irrational Davis of the past several years. He definitely "did it his own way", as the article says. He was instrumental in the AFL's success, leading to it's merger with the NFL. He also built some great teams over the decades. Is there a succession plan for ownership of the Raiders?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

It's a shame that younger fans will only know the irrational Davis of the past several years. He definitely "did it his own way", as the article says. He was instrumental in the AFL's success, leading to it's merger with the NFL. He also built some great teams over the decades.
Is there a succession plan for ownership of the Raiders?

As a Raider fan since 1963, I'm in mourning for the Raiders head coach from that season, Al Davis. For many years, he was "da man". It's unfortunate that the last ten years of his ownership were weaken by his inability to give more control to a younger voice that would've allowed the Raiders to adjust quicker to today's NFL. However, that doesn't take away from his legacy as a football icon and his place along with Halas, Brown, Rooneys and Maras as some of the most influential owners in NFL history. Those were the owners that forge the NFL of today by being innovators and visionaries and their ability to divide up the fruits of their labor so that every NFL team shares equally the monies that are generated by the great television profits of today. The successful merger of the AFL/NFL was due to those men and Davis was one of the brilliant young offensive minds that pave the way for vertical football and the excitement it generates today. Davis did alright with his maverick style, not bad for a kid from Brooklyn. He will be missed by me as his death brings my own mortality in question because for the first time in almost 50 years, I will be viewing pro football without Al Davis involved in that sport. Youth is fleeting so enjoy it when you can.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On a happier note, being a pro football fan before the merger allowed you to be a fan of two different teams without any conflicts until they started playing the super bowl. I've been a Giants and Raiders fan since 1963. My best friend in my childhood was a Cowboy and Chiefs fan while my father was a Packers and Jets fan. Needless to say, we had some spirited discussions back then. I remembered watching the frozen field game between the Packers and Cowboys in my best friend's living room. I rooted for the Packers that day to mess with my friend and because I admired Vince Lombardi, a Fordham graduate like my grandfather. I wish I had a dime for everytime I heard the story from my grandfather about the seven blocks of granite.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just missed those AFL days, as I can remember watching football starting in 1970. As a lifelong Steelers fan (my mother and her family are from western PA), I always hated the Raiders. However, I respected Davis and his team and appreciated what he built in Oakland. As you said, Robert, he deserves to stand with the great builders of the league -- Halas, Hunt, Brown, the Rooneys, etc. The last decade may put a little tarnish on his legacy, but it doesn't erase the great things he accomplished in the AFL and NFL.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I loved the AFL, and I admired Al Davis. The Raiders were my favorite team when I was 10-15 years old, as the Boston Patriots (1960-) weren't doing too much positive back in those days. I grew a bit tired of the 2-12 and 3-11 seasons, and marveled when I saw what magic Daryl Lamonica (I wore a jersey with his name on it) brought to the game and the beauty that was those 11-3 and 12-2 records (Oakland). When the Raiders lost to Pittsburgh in *that* game, I was quite saddened. But I also appreciated what the Steelers were then able to bring in the 1970s. A few weeks ago, the Raiders were playing the Bills, and the Chargers were playing the Patriots. For a day, I was reliving some of the days of the old AFL and loving every minute of it. :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

It's a shame that younger fans will only know the irrational Davis of the past several years.

Yeah, I can remember one time, hearing some of those fans saying "I wish he would drop dead", after a horrible Raiders loss couple years ago.

I always remember him for his feuds with Mike Shanahan and Marcus Allen, and breaking racial barriers in the NFL.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter C

Yeah, I can remember one time, hearing some of those fans saying "I wish he would drop dead", after a horrible Raiders loss couple years ago.

I always remember him for his feuds with Mike Shanahan and Marcus Allen, and breaking racial barriers in the NFL.

Regarding that topic, I found out this weekend that Al Davis as a USC assistant coach in the 1950s, recruited the first African-American QB in the PAC 10. His name was Willie Wood, who would later became a DB and have a HOF career with the Green Bay Packers.

Crawdaddy

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Davis was crucial in breaking the camel's back and moving the NFL to merge. He devised the strategy of signing big-name NFL players and that's when the NFL decided to agree to a merger. On the ESPN football show this morning, Ditka related how he got a signing bonus of $50K from the AFL and Davis told him, no matter what, you keep that. The league's merged and Ditka stayed in the NFC, but kept the signing bonus. It is my recollection that the Raiders were the doormat of the AFL West, until Davis left the Chargers (I t think he was an assistant coach or something like that) and got the coaching job with the Raiders. BTW, how did Davis get the money to become the owner? As a lifelong charger fan, Al Davis has brought a great deal of sporting frustration into my life. However, I do have to acknowledge that few owners changed football as much as he did. Respectfully, I will close with a title of a book by Jack Murphy (a San Diego sportswriter), entitled "Damn You, Al Davis". Ok, I didn't close with that sentence, but I have to explain the title of the book. Supposedly, a charger coach of long ago, one of the minor ones, thought Davis had the visitor's locker room bugged and during halftime of a losing effort (as most were against the Raiders), the coach looked up at the locker room ceiling and screamed that book title. Therefor I consider the expletive to be one of pissed off respect.:)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
And with that, Denver is now the favorite to finish last in the AFC West.
Which they were going to do anyway, at the rate they were going.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
RobertR said:
Which they were going to do anyway, at the rate they were going.
I think the Chiefs would have given them a battle for last place, but switching to Tebow now gives Denver the edge. The NFL is a passing league, and the Broncos now have a starting QB who looks terrible throwing the ball. The Lions did not fold under the spotlight of MNF. The Bears, with 9 false start penalties, did. The Lions defensive line should get some credit for those false starts, though. They were all over Cutler throughout the game. The Bears did not match up well there -- a poor offensive line, with an offensive scheme that requires a great OL, versus an excellent defensive line. I do not know how Cutler is going to survive the season with Martz calling the shots. So, this is what 5-0 looks like in the NFL! I wasn't born the last time Detroit was 5-0, way back in 1956.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RobertR said:
Looks like Kyle Orton has played himself out of a job. Let's see what Tebow can do.
What happened to Brady Quinn? I thought he was their #2, in front of Tebow? Did he suddenly turn invisible?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
What happened to Brady Quinn? I thought he was their #2, in front of Tebow? Did he suddenly turn invisible?
It was never officially announced who was number 2 and 3. Quinn (and Orton) looked better in practice than Tebow, which made it confusing. I don't know if Tebow will develop into a good quarterback, I just know Orton isn't.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
RobertR said:
It was never officially announced who was number 2 and 3. Quinn (and Orton) looked better in practice than Tebow, which made it confusing. I don't know if Tebow will develop into a good quarterback, I just know Orton isn't.
...and neither is Quinn.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks the the 49ers are for real. Their defense did an excellent job containing the Lions offense yesterday. The Raiders lost QB Jason Campbell for the season. I never thought losing Campbell could hurt a team's playoff chances, but Kyle Boller certainly is a big step down.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sean Payton getting rolled up on the sidelines was a bit gruesome. The Jim and Jim huff-puff was so silly. But I hope they get fined for their dust-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks