What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We will know more about the Lions in the next three weeks. Next week they travel to Minnesota (where they have not won since 1997), then to Dallas, and finally a home Monday Night game against the Bears. While Detroit has played very well the first two weeks, I am still tempering my expectations until then. They beat a decent Tampa team on the road, but Kansas City is awful. They are favored in Minnesota for the first time I can ever remember (although I'm sure it's happened once or twice). Buffalo has been a surprise, but a bigger one is Washington, IMO. I figured the 'Skins would win the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes, but instead they are 2-0. Right now the early leaders in the race for Andrew Luck seem to be KC and Seattle. Indy could be a dark horse in the race if Peyton misses the entire season. The thing that hurts all three teams chances are that each play in a division with at least two other bad teams, giving them a chance to win some divisional games against weak foes. So, if you are looking for a bad team stuck in a division with three good teams, then Miami may be the Luck winner -- assuming the Bills are for real.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I don't think my Seahawks can find a football little lone win a game. I hate to say it I'm not sure the Seahawks are smart enough to draft Luck we would take another O-Line because it has worked out so far... ;)

I'm pretty impressed with Buffalo and Detroit! Time will tell but I think it should be interesting over the next few weeks. My other thing is can Cam get over the hump and win a game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Both the Lions and Bills erase 20 or more point deficits! Buffalo's is probably more impressive, coming against the Pats. Meanwhile, no deficit is safe against the Vikings. :laugh:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
After this week the Raiders losing to the Bills doesn’t look all the bad. Break up the Bills!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Both the Lions and Bills erase 20 or more point deficits! Buffalo's is probably more impressive, coming against the Pats. Meanwhile, no deficit is safe against the Vikings. :laugh:
I thought about you when watching the Lions beat the Cowboys, Scott. :)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, the Lions are 4-0. That's hard to believe, but I'm coming around to thinking they are the real deal. There is still a long way to go though.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well the Seahawks almost won their second game but they fell short. It is going to be a very long season...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
DavidJ said:
Wow, the Lions are 4-0. That's hard to believe, but I'm coming around to thinking they are the real deal. There is still a long way to go though.
Yes, there is still a long way to go. I've been watching the Lions since 1970, so I am very gun-shy about getting overly excited. However, the comebacks these past two weeks have been amazing to watch. Tony Romo certainly helped with his 2nd half meltdown, but I have to give Detroit credit for not giving up, even though they were getting destroyed in the first half. The Bears come to Detroit this week for the first Lions home MNF game in over a decade. Tickets are going for an outrageous amount of money for an early season game. It should be quite an event. Hopefully the Lions of the past half-century do not resurface anytime soon.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Hopefully the Lions of the past half-century do not resurface anytime soon." Scott, the "Curse of Bobby Layne" is over. Believe it. ;) Some sports writers are starting to believe that the Lions and Packers may both be undefeated when they match up on Thanksgiving Day. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Some sports writers are starting to believe that the Lions and Packers may both be undefeated when they match up on Thanksgiving Day. :)
Sports writers are known to drink a lot. :laugh: The Packers look very impressive, but the Lions still have some issues. Their offensive line struggles at times, as does the secondary. I doubt they will remain unbeaten through this upcoming three game home stand against Chicago, San Fran and Atlanta. Still, if they could somehow win 2 of 3, they would be 6-1 and in solid contention for a playoff spot. It's been a long time since a Lions fans has seen that! In any case, at least they shouldn't give the nation indigestion on Thanksgiving for once. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Pack just looks like they are playing a different game then everyone else. They are the team to beat. Tonight will be interesting; Indy is in the race for Andrew Luck; Tampa Bay is trying to be a time on the rise, and their loss to Detroit looks better now. But I don't know who.. except for injuries.. stops the pack right now

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I really thought the Falcons were going to lose after their defense couldn't deal with the Seahawks no-huddle offense in the second half, and the Falcon offense went flat in the second half as well. Not all that optimistic about the Falcons play-off chances this season, got to find some defense...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
mattCR said:
The Pack just looks like they are playing a different game then everyone else. They are the team to beat. Tonight will be interesting; Indy is in the race for Andrew Luck; Tampa Bay is trying to be a time on the rise, and their loss to Detroit looks better now. But I don't know who.. except for injuries.. stops the pack right now
While no team is a lock (who would have thought the 16-0 Patriots would lose the the Giants?), the Pack do look unstoppable right now. Rodgers can be put in that elite QB tier with Brady, Peyton and Brees. The receiving weapons he has are impressive, and the defense is solid and opportunistic. Green Bay stands an excellent chance of beating the odds and repeating as champs. I think the only team in the NFC that can get in their way is New Orleans. The Lions are not ready yet, Mike Martz will get Cutler killed in Chicago, and the NFC East looks like a bunch of overrated teams right now. In the AFC, I think it's either Baltimore or New England. The biggest worry with the Pats is their defense, while with the Ravens it's whether Flacco is good enough to get them to the Super Bowl. Pittsburgh's offensive line is terrible and getting Big Ben killed, while Houston seems to struggle putting teams away -- they just do not seem to know how to win. San Diego is a dark horse, but it's hard to imagine Norv Turner coaching a team to the SB.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Remember, last year the Packers started 3-3. It's way too early to count anyone out (or in.)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dheiner said:
Remember, last year the Packers started 3-3. It's way too early to count anyone out (or in.)
I think I'll take a chance and count the Colts and Dolphins "out". :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My chargers are 3-1, so they've broken the cycle of slow starts, right? I don't think so. Every one of the wins has been a struggle, they've not dominated or convincingly beat anyone. All their wins came agains teams who have, after 4 games, combined for 1 win. That 1 win came when 2 of the 3 played each other. If you can't look good against these opponents, you are not looking good at all. They've played one quality team (the Pats) and they lost by 2 TDs. The chargers have a chance at going 4-1 when they play Denver in Denver this coming week. Unfortunately, the chargers like to play down to the level of their opponent and that can get you burned on the road. All 3 of the chargers victories were at home. In the coming weeks road games include the Jets, Bears, Jaguars, Lions and the Raiders. Everyone will be tough. Never thought I'd be saying that about the Lions. I just did my own count, and I figure the chargers have 8 remaining games against "quality" teams. They're going to be tested real good. Even with the 3-1 start, even with being in a week conference (not so weak anymore with the resurgent Raiders) making the playoffs is no cinch.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Please stop with the nervous Nelly crap. While the Chargers are hardly a threat to win the Super Bowl they will make the playoffs because they are better than the other teams in the West. The Raiders are probably going to be 8-8 and you can already add Denver and K.C. to the done list. Those last 2 teams are just awful.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick_S said:
Please stop with the nervous Nelly crap. While the Chargers are hardly a threat to win the Super Bowl they will make the playoffs because they are better than the other teams in the West. The Raiders are probably going to be 8-8 and you can already add Denver and K.C. to the done list. Those last 2 teams are just awful.
I'm sorry, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to post my opinions in this thread. Can you provide a list of names of those allowed to post?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks