What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"New England is going to be very tough to beat at home for Baltimore next week." LOL. I hope there aren't any Texans fans reading this Board. ;) The Patriots are 6-1 lifetime against the Ravens, but we know what happened the last time these two teams played each other in the playoffs. I'm hoping that that doesn't occur again.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I went 3-1 again this weekend, and am now 6-2 overall. I believe the Giants are going to win it all this year, unfortunately. I've actually believed this since they defeated the Falcons. I don't think any of the remaining three teams can defeat the Giants at this point, although I hope that the 49ers can defeat New York next weekend. My picks for the AFC and NFC Championship games: AFC: New England Patriots over the Baltimore Ravens NFC: New York Giants over the San Francisco 49ers

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I got both the NFC games wrong to go 2-2 this weekend, making me 4-4 for the playoffs. The Giants win did not surprise me, though, as we discussed earlier. This weekend I am going with the hot team -- the Giants -- and the Patriots, for a rematch of New England's biggest Super Bowl disappointment (sorry, Scott ;) ).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott, My eldest son wants a Giants - Patriots rematch. I wouldn't mind seeing the 49ers - Patriots. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The league has to be rooting for San Fran. It's a great storyline, but better then that, it's both coasts. East coast Vs. West Coast.

Meanwhile, if the Giants win, it's a total east coast game. Personally, I'm rooting for SF-Baltimore, just so the Harbaugh brothers storyline makes headlines. It'd be a very defense oriented SB, but no problems with that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking only one road team will win, and that's the Giants for a rematch of the 2007 Super Bowl between the Patriots and the Giants. And that would complete the Falcons trifecta of having the NFC's representative in the last 3 Super Bowls beat the Falcons on their way to the Super Bowl.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While Baltimore's defense is formidable, their strength is stopping the run, not the pass, and New England doesn't really run the ball anyway. I think Brady will be able to move the Pats through the air against the Ravens, and Flacco is not a QB capable of winning a shootout. The one wildcard is if Baltimore can knock Brady on his butt enough -- that is how the Ravens can win, IMO. If Brady's uniform is pretty clean on Sunday, the Pats win easily. I am more confident in my New England pick than in my Giants selection. San Fran's defense will be much tougher than what New York faced last week against New Orleans.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As much as I dislike the 49ers I really think they are going to win this weekend. Their D is the best of the remaining four teams and the offense seems to be coming together at the right time. I've written it before and it deserves to be stated again, Alex Smith is the most fortunate man in America. If the strike did not happen he would not be the starting QB for any team in the NFL let alone the starter for a team that might win it all. I was impressed by the Pats this past weekend, looks like they really did their video work before the game. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
If I could bet the farm this weekend, I'd place it on the Giants. The Ravens - Patriots call is quite a bit more difficult for me. Brady seems very focused the past few games, even in those where the Patriots fell behind 17-6 (Denver), 17-0 (Miami), and 21-0 (Buffalo). I almost believe that he could will his team to victory against the Ravens, and then against either New York or San Francisco this time around. We'll see. Many here know the old addage of defense winning championships. Well, two of the three most high-powered offenses are now out of the playoffs (New Orleans and Green Bay), and of the four remaining teams, three of them (Baltimore, New York, and San Francisco) have some darn good defenses. Addendum: Now the Colts are looking for a new coach. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7471905/indianapolis-colts-fire-jim-caldwell-nfl-worst-2-14-season?eleven=twelve How about Peyton Manning? ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Well, I've changed my picks yet again -- and I promise that this time it's final. ;) It has been quite a struggle for me this time around. Not that it matters much, but I just wanted to post it for the record. I have decided to go with both of the home teams. My picks for the AFC and NFC Championship games: AFC: New England Patriots over the Baltimore Ravens NFC: San Francisco 49ers over the New York Giants

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Well, I've changed my picks yet again -- and I promise that this time it's final. ;) It has been quite a struggle for me this time around. Not that it matters much, but I just wanted to post it for the record. I have decided to go with both of the home teams. My picks for the AFC and NFC Championship games: AFC: New England Patriots over the Baltimore Ravens NFC: San Francisco 49ers over the New York Giants
I think you've picked all four teams at some point this week, Scott! Can we expect a late Packers victory prediction yet? :laugh: Raider fans should be concerned. Two of the rumored head coaching candidates are Marty "I'll Take the Wind" Mornhinweg and Mike "Meathead" Tice. Could the ghost of Al Davis be involved in the selection process?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Any stock in Rob Lowe's tweet that Peyton Manning will be retiring due to the neck not getting cleared by doctors to play in the NFL?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
Any stock in Rob Lowe's tweet that Peyton Manning will be retiring due to the neck not getting cleared by doctors to play in the NFL?
Judd Nelson just tweeted that Manning is healthy and will return to the Colts, so no worries. :laugh:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hey Johnny (and other San Diego fans) have you seen this? It's pretty funny (if it doesn't hit too close to home).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It is so true! The guy who produced that speaks with the voice of the fans. It will be interesting to see what happens when the chargers get off to their usual slow start. When it's "same ol, same ol" again, what will they say?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A couple of Ravens will be playing the "What if " game in their heads for a few sleepless nights. Not a great effort by the Pats, but they got some lucky breaks to fall their way in the last minute to punch their ticket to another Super Bowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks