What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sumnernor said:
Should this be Denver Broncos rather than Kansas City Chiefs ????
I was referring to last week when the Chiefs stifled the Broncos, holding them to only a single field goal. Their defense must be a lot better than the Steelers, despite whatever statistical rankings are available.
Scott Merryfield said:
Even if they had pulled this game out in OT, there was no way they were going to win in Foxboro with all these injuries.
I agree they weren't going to get by New England, and I knew they were not going to be Super Bowl champs, but to lose to Tebow and his limited skill set is just sickening.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Malcolm R said:
but to lose to Tebow and his limited skill set is just sickening.
The Steelers fatal mistake was believing that his skill set was just as you described it. Indeed, their entire defensive scheme was built to stop Tebow's "limited skill set"; so clearly his skill set is not as limited as many seem to think. As for their defense being worse than the Chiefs, I don't buy that either. To me it's just that they came after the Chiefs -- the Broncos could game plan based on the Chiefs' success against them, by developing plays to exploit a defense that tries to stop them the same way the Kansas City did.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Is anyone excited about the four divisional round games this weekend? I can't recall a time when all four match-ups were this intriguing. Have there even been this many teams with thirteen or more wins facing off in the divisional round before? I think six of these eight teams could go all the way and win the Super Bowl. New Orleans Saints (14-3) at San Francisco 49ers (13-3) Denver Broncos (9-8) at New England Patriots (13-3) Houston Texans (11-6) at Baltimore Ravens (12-4) New York Giants (10-7) at Green Bay Packers (15-1)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I do not see Houston beating that defense on the road with a 3rd string QB
We'll see. Baltimore did not have to face Andre Johnson in their earlier win during the regular season and I believe his presence in the game this upcoming weekend will be the difference maker for Houston. I expect the Texans to win in a fairly low scoring game. - Walter.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter Kittel said:
I do not see Houston beating that defense on the road with a 3rd string QB
We'll see. Baltimore did not have to face Andre Johnson in their earlier win during the regular season and I believe his presence in the game this upcoming weekend will be the difference maker for Houston. I expect the Texans to win in a fairly low scoring game. - Walter.
No, Andre Johnson did not play in the Baltimore game. However, Matt Schaub did play QB for the Texans that day. So, the question is -- are the Texans better with a 1st string QB and no AJ, or with a 3rd string QB and AJ? I guess we'll find out this weekend. I, too, think the game will be low scoring, but expect the Ravens to win. Houston has become a much more run-oriented team, and that plays into Baltimore's strength on defense. The game I'm most interested to see is the Giants at Green Bay. The Packers were the league darlings during the regular season, but New York has been playing some pretty good football lately. If they can pressure Rodgers, the G-Men could pull a big upset here.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ockeghem said:
Is anyone excited about the four divisional round games this weekend? I can't recall a time when all four match-ups were this intriguing. Have there even been this many teams with thirteen or more wins facing off in the divisional round before? I think six of these eight teams could go all the way and win the Super Bowl. New Orleans Saints (14-3) at San Francisco 49ers (13-3) Denver Broncos (9-8) at New England Patriots (13-3) Houston Texans (11-6) at Baltimore Ravens (12-4) New York Giants (10-7) at Green Bay Packers (15-1)
No. The only one I expect to be a game is NO at SF, but then again, I haven't been predicting these games well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Malcolm R said:
I agree they weren't going to get by New England, and I knew they were not going to be Super Bowl champs, but to lose to Tebow and his limited skill set is just sickening.
I think the Steelers would have lost to just about any team that wasn't absolutely horrible on Sunday. Heck, they struggled to beat the Browns the week before. I do not think Tebow is a good QB, either, but as I said earlier -- sometimes a team is just too beat up to compete any longer. That was the case with Pittsburgh, IMO. I was amazed they came back and sent the game into overtime.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just as one head coaching vacancy was filled, another opens up. Kansas City is removing the "interim" title from Romeo Crennell, making him the new head coach. Meanwhile, new Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie has fired HC Hue Jackson. Never a dull moment in Oakland.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Just as one head coaching vacancy was filled, another opens up. Kansas City is removing the "interim" title from Romeo Crennell, making him the new head coach. Meanwhile, new Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie has fired HC Hue Jackson. Never a dull moment in Oakland.

It's a new era for the Raiders and hopefully one that brings normalcy and their return to a winning tradition. Mark Davis has some good people advising him like Ron Wolf and John Madden and he hired a good young executive from a successful organization, who will modernized the Raiders operations and return them to glory. At least, that's what I hope for as a Raider fan since 1965. Furthermore, Hue Jackson ran his mouth a little too much lately and I'm still upset about that Palmer trade as he gave up too much for him.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"The game I'm most interested to see is the Giants at Green Bay. The Packers were the league darlings during the regular season, but New York has been playing some pretty good football lately. If they can pressure Rodgers, the G-Men could pull a big upset here." Scott, I don't think that the Giants (my pick to win) defeating the Packers would really be that much of an upset. As you say, they are playing some pretty good football lately. A few years ago, the Giants lost (in New York) to the Patriots by the same score that Green Bay defeated the Giants by this year (also in New York). I have this eerie feeling -- and I really do hope I'm wrong here -- that the Giants are again going to go all the way this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
It's a new era for the Raiders and hopefully one that brings normalcy and their return to a winning tradition.  Mark Davis has some good people advising him like Ron Wolf and John Madden and he hired a good young executive from a successful organization, who will modernized the Raiders operations and return them to glory.  At least, that's what I hope for as a Raider fan since 1965.  Furthermore, Hue Jackson ran his mouth a little too much lately and I'm still upset about that Palmer trade as he gave up too much for him.
Hiring McKenzie was definitely an excellent move. He comes from a strong front office in Green Bay. This is the first time Oakland's had a dedicated GM, as Al Davis was acting in that role forever. While there is some talent on the roster, it may take him awhile to fill the holes, as the team has traded away most of their draft picks for this year. Firing Jackson wasn't a big surprise, because of (1) all the penalties, (2) his involvement in the Palmer trade, and (3) some of the things he's been saying (as you mentioned). Maybe Oakland can finally get some stability on the coaching staff, because it's been a revolving door for the past decade or more. The circus may finally be leaving town!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield . Anyhow, they will get 3-4 compensation draft choices between the 3rd and 4th round for the free agents they lost prior to the 2011 season. They might not have a 1st or 2nd pick, but they will still have 5-6 picks between the 3rd and 7th round this April. The Raiders with a good young executive and scouting staff should be able to overcome that Palmer trade. If it was a top five pick then I would be really angry, but they'll survive and hopefully do some work on that defense which is what let them down this year. If they had a defense that could've made a late game stop, they would've won another 2-3 games and made the playoffs. Also, don't get me started on those penalties.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Robert, Just an aside, I have been a fan of the Raiders (my number two team after the Patriots) since slightly after you became a fan. During the old AFL days, Daryl Lamonica and Fred Biletnikoff were some of my childhood sports heroes. Heck, I even had a number 3 and a number 25 jersey that I wore almost every day. The 'Mad Bomber' was a lot of fun to watch, and how I wished I could catch some balls like Biletnikoff did. Some of the very best games I ever saw as a child were between the Raiders and the Chiefs. And the Blanda streak slightly later -- I think it was around five or six games during one magical season -- was a ride I remember fondly back in the day.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You guys talking about the old Raider days, I went to all those games back in the day. While I started going when they moved into their current stadium my father went to games at Frank Youell Field. I also remember that when the A's would make the post season the Raiders had to move their games to Cal. In fact that is where the Raiders ended Miami's undefeated run. (Yes I know the Vikes had tied them earlier but that is not a defeat.) As for the firing of the Jackson, you can't blame a GM for wanting to start fresh with his vision so the coach being let go is not a surprise.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Long time Steelers fan here, so I've been an honor-bound Raiders hater, but always respected the organization (until the last decade). Those were some great Pittsburgh - Oakland battles back in the '70's. Both teams had some great players who were real characters. Now, where is that film clip of the Immaculate Reception? :D

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
My picks are the Saints, Packers, Ravens, and Patriots.

Originally Posted by Ockeghem

I don't think that the Giants (my pick to win) defeating the Packers would really be that much of an upset. As you say, they are playing some pretty good football lately. A few years ago, the Giants lost (in New York) to the Patriots by the same score that Green Bay defeated the Giants by this year (also in New York). I have this eerie feeling -- and I really do hope I'm wrong here -- that the Giants are again going to go all the way this year.

With the Giants finally getting that monkey off their back (which was winning a home playoff game under Eli Manning), I can see them doing the same. Though, I hope not as well, as I hate seeing other NFC East teams winning it all.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was the most ferocious defense I've seen from New England in about seven years. It reminded me of a couple of their Super Bowl-winning teams. If they play like that in their next game, they should do pretty well. As good as Brady and Gronk were, my game ball goes to the entire team defense. I also heard something that surprised me last night. I knew that the Packers and Patriots were numbers 32 and 31, respectively, in the league in pass defense (yards allowed per game). I didn't know that the Saints were number 30. And speaking of the Saints, I really did think that they were going to win that game. Hats off to the 49ers, who really played a gritty game. Those last four minutes (from both teams) were amazing.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I missed the Niners - Saints game (was at the Plymouth Whalers hockey game), but was following the play by play on my phone. It sure sounded like an incredible fourth quarter. With the Steelers and Lions both out of the playoffs, I may now pull for San Fran and their former Michigan QB Jim Harbaugh. While the result of the Pats game didn't surprise me, New England's defense did. I figured the Broncos would have some success running the ball, but just wouldn't be able to keep up with the Pats offense. New England is going to be very tough to beat at home for Baltimore next week. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks