What's new

NFL 2010 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Had a feeling my Falcons were going to lay an egg tonight, and they did. Rodgers is on fire, the Falcons defense had no answers for the Packers offense at all.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Had a feeling my Falcons were going to lay an egg tonight, and they did. Rodgers is on fire, the Falcons defense had no answers for the Packers offense at all.

They were the number one seed weren't they? Now the NFC has lost the number one seed and the defending SB champ and the AFC has lost last years conference champ.

I think it's going to be NE and GB in the SB. I pick NE to win it all.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When I left the house in the early third quarter, I thought all was lost for the Steelers. They were playing terrible, and had handed the Ravens two TD's. Fortunately, Baltimore was even more generous in the second half. That had to be the highest scoring "defensive battle" in quite awhile, as neither team amassed much total yardage.

While I am not surprised that the Packers won, I am surprised that they handled Atlanta that easily. Green Bay does look Super Bowl bound.

I have a dilemma today. I really dislike the Jets, but they would be the easier path for the Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl. I just cannot bring myself to root for that team, though.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
For fans of Star War (if there are any around , take a look at the following link:

http://www.cbssports.com//mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27039882

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The Patriots losing in the playoffs just never gets old.

Can we put to rest the garbage that no one is more dangerous than Belichick with 2 weeks off?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

The Patriots losing in the playoffs just never gets old.

Can we put to rest the garbage that no one is more dangerous than Belichick with 2 weeks off?

I've always thought the bye week in the playoffs is often a disadvantage. It seems like many teams that earn the bye seem rusty, lazy, and forget how to play in the manner that got them into the playoffs in the first place.

Patriots obviously did not show up to play. They were lethargic, unprepared, and didn't seem to remember how to execute their offense. I'm a fan, but certainly admit they did not deserve to move on if that's the best they can do. Hopefully the Steelers are better prepared next week.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

I've always thought the bye week in the playoffs is often a disadvantage. It seems like many teams that earn the bye seem rusty, lazy, and forget how to play in the manner that got them into the playoffs in the first place.

It wouldn't be that hard to verify if such an impression is true. All one need do is compare the won-loss records of bye and non-bye teams in the divisional playoffs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd still rather have to win two games to get to the Super Bowl than three.

I thought the Pats looked dominant in the 1st quarter, and then the Jets finally decided to show up in the 2nd quarter.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Well I'm routing for Packers and the Jets. My Seahawks just didn't show up this week.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Has anyone noticed how little respect Antonio Cromartie gets from the TV announcers and commentators? They don't spell it out, but basically say "get physical, dude." I can attest from his time with the chargers that he doesn't like physical contact. NFL football is a heckuva way to make a living if you don't like contact.

I'm happy that LT finally got a playoff win over the Pats. I hope he can add another in the win column against the Steelers.

I'm starting to think I'm the kiss of death for teams I think will win. I picked NO, Philly, I kinda sorta thought the Ravens would win, I wasn't sure about Atlanta but thought it would be a close game, and I was fairly certain NE would win today.

I am now predicting GB over CHI and Steelers over the Jets. I'd like my jinx to hold true for the Steelers. I'm rooting for NY solely to get LT in the SB.

Who could have possibly thought the NY could beat NE after the ass-kicking they received from NE just a few weeks ago. You have to be a resilient team to recover from that.

I'm thinking that NE is going a phase that every dynasty does. The big wins are coming much harder than they used to. I'm wondering if NE's best years aren't behind them.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

When the Jets got that interception early on and came away with nothing after having 1st and 10 at the 12, I thought that was it. And when Sanchez kept overthrowing his receivers early on, I wasn't optimistic, but he lowered his sites and got the job done.

I think Sanchez is key to NY's success. If he has a good game in Pitt, they can win. He needs to have at least a good game.

The Jets have beaten 2 great QB's in a row, first Manning and now Brady. They're going to have to beat 3 great QB's in a row if they want to get to the SB. Then most likely, they would have to beat Rogers, who is at the top of his game right now. I don't think they can get by Pitt.

The announcers mentioned the previous biggest reversal of regular season/playoff results and it was back in the 70's, I think. I think this was a bigger reversal than that one. Can't remember the teams they mentioned. How do you go from losing 45-3(?) to winning 28-21, both on the road?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My picks for the AFC and NFC conference championship games:

Pittsburgh over New York Jets

Green Bay over Chicago

When I look at the four remaining teams, the first word that jumps out at me is ... defense.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Historically the teams with the bye have won 70% of the Divisional playoff games but since you are a Pats fan your sense of NFL history probably only starts in 2001 (Just kidding) and from 2001 to present the trend is only 60% of the time.

Even with the trend going down the last ten years it is a big advantage to have the bye week.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Congratulations to the Packers and Steelers on their wins today. Neither team dominated their entire games, but they were (IMO) the two best teams in the playoffs, and definitely deserve to be representing the NFC and the AFC. :)

On a personal note, I am thrilled that the Jets were sent packing. Maybe one of these years Ryan will keep his mouth shut and actually win the big one.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Other then listening to obnoxious Steelers fans this game should be pretty good. Go GB. I thought it was interesting there has been ten different NFC teams in the last ten years. Now if there was that kind of parity on the AFC side.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hell of a rally on the part of the Jets, but they just lost too much ground during the first half. The defense on the Jets was stellar, but the Steelers kept plowing their way through to get the first downs, keeping possession for the vast majority of the time. Fortunately for the Jets, Mark Sanchez is only 24 years old, and he really came into his own over the last few games. They're looking very good going into next season. I can't root for Roethlisberger for obvious reasons, but there's no question the Steelers earned their berth in the Super Bowl. Comparing the quality of play here to the quality of play in the Packers/Bears game, I'd be very worried if I were Green Bay.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was nervous the entire 2nd half of the Steelers game. Luckily Pittsburgh made the plays when they had to on that last drive to get the first downs and run out the clock. The Jets deserve a lot of credit for not giving up after falling behind in the first half. Whew!

Jay Cutler is taking a lot of heat in Chicago for not playing through his injury. I have no idea how bad his knee was hurt, but was impressed with how well Caleb Hanie played. It was asking a lot for a third string QB to lead a comeback against that Green Bay defense, though.

It should be a competitive Super Bowl. My heart is with the Steelers, but I have to pick the Pack to win. Pittsburgh's weakness on defense is the pass, and that is Green Bay's strength on offense. Also, I think the Steelers will miss Pouncey on the offensive line against that tough Pack defense.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm only 5-5 thus far. Hopefully, I can finish at 6-5 by the time Feb. 6th rolls around.

The Steelers ran the ball almost with ease against the Jets yesterday. And, Big Ben, even though not statistically among the 'greats' in playoff games, can do some things better than Brady and Manning -- and IMO these tend to throw defenses off their rhythm. Green Bay has a good quarterback, but I don't think they have much of a running game. I don't see the Packers winning this game.

My pick for the Super Bowl:

Pittsburgh (24-20) over Green Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread