What's new

NFL 2010 Off-season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You cannot compare the Santonio Homes and Roethlisberger situations. Holmes was in the last year of his contract, getting a four game suspension, and the Steelers were not going to resign him anyway. So, dumping him was an easy move to make. Roethlisberger, on the other hand, plays the most critical position in the league (QB), has a long term contract, and franchise QB's of his talent do not become available very often, so there is no telling how many years Pittsburgh would be searching for a replacement for Ben. Wide receivers of Holmes ability, though, are quite easy to find.

Well, the Lions didn't screw up their first round pick, getting Suh. I guess this means they will mess up their 2nd round pick tomorrow night.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bronco nation must be going out of their collective minds with the Tim Tebow pick in the first round (along with getting Brady Quinn for a slew of lower round picks).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm still wondering why Tebow went as early as he did. But I'm thrilled that Suh is going to be wearing a Lions uniform. Now all we need is to get McCoy here somehow as well. Do the Lions have anyone that Tampa Bay would want?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tebow wasn't a projected 1st round pick on most boards, and definitely wasn't supposed to be picked before Clausen.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think Denver is headed in the wrong direction, IMO. They have dumped some very talented players in Cutler, Marshall and Scheffler, passed on a very talented WR (Dez Bryant), then took Tebow at least a round too early. Their QB depth chart of Orton, Quinn and Tebow will not scare anyone.

I liked the Lions first pick -- Suh -- but am not that thrilled with trading up for Best. While he fills a big need at RB, Best has huge injury concerns (concussions), and was not that impressive against the tougher teams that Cal played. I think this pick has a high probability of being a bust.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Tebow wasn't a projected 1st round pick on most boards, and definitely wasn't supposed to be picked before Clausen.

Patrick,

That's right. I meant 'early,' not late. My error.

Scott,

I like the Lions overall draft. I'm not sure what to think about Best yet. I did hear today that his concussion was not of the 'regular' variety (if there is such a thing). It was the result of a very unusual play (he was quite high in the air) rather than him just being banged on the head in a normal situation. I think hearing that Tebow has a shoulder problem as a result of a rather routine hit is a bit more alarming than what I have heard about this concussion of Best. We'll see how it shakes out. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, that is somewhat encouraging news regarding Best and the concussions. The lack of production against better opponents still concerns me, though. It reminds me of those Wisconsin RB's who would put up huge numbers versus cupcakes on the Badger schedule and get stuffed against the better Big Ten teams. They did not work out well in the NFL, either. Every NFL team has better defensive talent than the best teams Best has faced in college.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
With Clausen still on the board, Tebow likely would have been around through the entire second and maybe into the 3rd. I can make NO sense of that.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So what is the opinion of the forum on the Chargers trade up (first for this GM) in the first round to get Ryan Mathews? They gave up a lot, got back some. I had been reading the Chargers just needed a serviceable RB in their offense. Now they make a trade the requires Mathews to be much more in order for the trade to be considered successful.

One writer said that for a 3rd string QB (Whitehurst), the Chargers got the 2nd best back in the draft. To a degree, that is true. RB is also a position at which a player can have an impact as a rookie.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Scott, that is somewhat encouraging news regarding Best and the concussions. The lack of production against better opponents still concerns me, though. It reminds me of those Wisconsin RB's who would put up huge numbers versus cupcakes on the Badger schedule and get stuffed against the better Big Ten teams. They did not work out well in the NFL, either. Every NFL team has better defensive talent than the best teams Best has faced in college.

Scott,

The opinions I heard this morning were pretty much divided regarding Best, and unanimous regarding Suh.

BTW, have you seen any recent video of Suh? His response time off of the line is amazingly quick.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Love the Suh pick by the LIons. I live in Big 12 country so I got to see him play a lot and he is a beast. Best defensive line player I've seen in a long time. I too am a little unsure of the Best pick, but they didn't give up a ton to move up and they really like him. They also needed to add running back depth and talent. I'm going to assume they know what they're doing. Dangerous I know.... I just get the sense that this Lions team and coaching staff are much more competent. And I don't think that is just my wide-eyed optimism. I'm interested in seeing how the rest of the draft plays out for them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell ). If he pans out as expected, Detroit's DL should be a real strength. Now they need to address that terrible secondary -- a talented Delmas and a bunch of crap.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if Jason Campbell is the answer for the Raiders, but at least he appears to want to work at the QB position.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

Rumors are that Oakland will release JaMarcus Russell... maybe before the weekend.

Biggest QB bust of all time -- JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf?
I'd still vote Leaf.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
When you consider who the Raiders passed on to draft Russell -- Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson -- he may be a bigger bust than Leaf. The Chargers passed on Andre Wadsworth, Charles Woodson, Curtis Enis, Grant Winstrom, Kyle Turley and Greg Ellis. Woodson was the best of that lot. Fred Taylor did go at #9 overall.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Scott since the Raiders passed on the best running back in all of the NFL in Peterson and the best defensive back in Darelle Revis. Throw in the other guys Scott mentioned and it's obvious the Raiders made a colossal mistake in picking Russell. He was also the clear #1 that year whereas in 1998, it was between Manning and Leaf and it could have went either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks