What's new

NFL 2008 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think Long will be a solid pro for a long time, too. My only concern was watching him struggle against Gholston in the OSU game. He will be facing that type of competition every week in the NFL.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
So while Long shines as the #1 pick Boren slinks off to Ohio State. I can't imagine the amount of grief he's going to get from his new teammates. Hopefully Coach Tressel won't make him run so much.

But back to the NFL. I'm somewhat surprised by the local coverage of the Shaun Alexander story. Everyone knew it was coming after the new RBs were picked up but no one seems all that sorry to see him go. This is one cruel, cutthroat business.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Is there not a current college thread? I looked, but couldn't find one. I'd like to discuss this Boren deal more (:frowning: ) and not on the crazy, immature team forums at places like Scout and Rivals.

Will the Lions make a run at Alexander? I'm guessing no and even if they did I'm sure Alexander could come up with better options.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
Shaun who??? haha kidding.

He seems very prone to injury now, I'm not sure what team would suit him. I don't think he's worthy of starting anymore, it's like he lost the fire.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I do not see any way that Alexander winds up with Detroit. The Lions have salary cap issues, and Alexander probably wants to play for a contender at this point in his career.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Kalimba Edwards $4 Million comes off the books as of June 1st as do a couple of other small salaries.

Local beat writer Tom Kawalski says there is a 1% chance the Lions trade Roy Williams. He seems to be wrong more than right, so I bump it up to 50%. Before the draft I will post who I think the Lions should get. What players would you like for your teams to draft at their slots this Saturday?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Man, I wish I actually got to watch and follow the draft Saturday. My wife loves it and we always have it on, but I have a rare weekend shoot that begins the same time as the draft. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to be disappointed by the Lions' picks later.

I like Williams so I won't be upset by him remaining a Lion, but I'm really not sure it is the best thing for the long-term health of the franchise.

So who does everyone think will go second? Who gets Ryan? Watching where the QBs go should be interesting as there seems to be quite a few teams looking for one and four QBs who have separated themselves from the pack.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ryan will probably end up in either Atlanta, KC or Chicago. Personally, I think the Falcons should pass on Ryan and take one of the defensive linemen -- Long, Dorsey or Gholston -- at #3. They can get a QB close to Ryan's potential in the 2nd round.

My fear with the Lions is that they will take RB Jonathan Stewart. He fits two Millen criteria -- he's an offensive skill position player and he has an injury history. Detroit needs to pick either OL, DL or LB in the first round. Of course, they could have filled two of those spots last year had they drafted intelligently.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions trade Roy Williams, either. I think they'll lose him to free agency after this season anyway, so they may as well get something for him now. The team is not going to contend for a playoff spot in '08 anyhow.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

What really sucks about winning the Super Bowl is that you get a crummy draft pick. Though actually, last year the Giants did well in the draft, even in the later rounds (Kevin Boss, Ahmad Bradshaw).

The consensus seems to be the Giants will go for the safety from Miami (Phillips) to replace Gibril Wilson, though they could also go for an OLB. In Dr Z's mock draft, he picked them to go for a TE, presumably after trading Shockey.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I'd be surprised if the Falcons pass on Ryan, but I don't disagree with your thinking. The one thing that gives me hope for the Lions is Marinelli's comments about not trying to hit home runs with the picks, but trying to get solid players that fill needs. The question is whether Millen will let that happen. I was reading through the picks under his watch and it is pretty disheartening. Great point about Williams and free agency. I agree 100%.

Oh, and Marvin I'm sure we are all feeling real sorry for you and the Giants. :)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think KC takes Gholston and the Falcons take Ryan for sure. McFadden will be snapped up by Oakland. I think the Jets would pass on him if he fell because they have historically passed on good players with character issues.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Ahh..so that's why they passed on Dan Marino back in '83 (and took Ken O'Brien instead).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm coming up for air. In between my usual website work and actually more of that than usual lately due to a partner relocating to a new home, I have been following the NFL draft, start of baseball season and the NBA playoffs. I still plan to live blog the draft this weekend.

You guys think you're so smart suggesting Jake Long will be a good player. I don't see what's so good about him. The Miami fans aren't gonna love the way he returns punts because he doesn't even return punts. /Cam Cameron.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Guys, Guys, Guys, we all know that Matt Millen will take a wide receiver with the 1st round pick. After all, he's done so well with those in the past! ;)

Seriously, 6 to 5 and pick 'em. They have so many needs that I don't know where to start.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I'm leaning toward Jared Mayo, the LB out of Tenn. That fits a big need and I just like what the kid brings. I DO NOT want Harvey, the DE from Florida, nor do I want a running back, unless McFadden would miraculously fall to the Lions. For me its either offensive line or LB in the first round.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It definitely doesn't sound definite. :) If the Giants are looking for more than a 2nd round pick, they will not be trading Shockey. I doubt any team would give up just a 2nd rounder for him. They should take the Saints offer of a 3rd round pick and run.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

If that's all the Saints are offering, I'd hold on to Shockey. They would need to use a high draft choice to take another tight end if they trade him. Unless they think there'll a better tight end than Shockey available in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd want a better offer before trading him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks