1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Next wave of Disney Treasures!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tim_P_76, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Tim_P_76

Tim_P_76 Second Unit

I found this on ultimatedisney.com:

"Forum member C3PO reveals that he just learned from Disney's consumer hotline that the four Walt Disney Treasures releases due this December are called Disney Rarities, Legendary Heroes (we presume this is the "Swamp Fox" collection mentioned last week), Spin and Marty, and as expected, The Chronological Donald, Volume 2. These four limited edition 2-disc tins would street on December 6, but Disney has not yet made a formal announcement. "Disney Rarities" sounds promising, though we're not sure what it would encompass. "Spin and Marty" was a serial about two boys at a summer ranch which aired as part of "The Mickey Mouse Club" in the fall of 1955. The second volume of The Chronological Donald is expected to contain the irascible duck's cartoon shorts from 1942 through 1948 or 1949. "

I am quite excited about the Heroes, and Rarities titles. I am hoping they include the Swamp Fox and Ben and Me, respectively. I hope Donald in Mathemagical Land is thrown in somewhere among these. I remember seeing the latter in 5th grade in a 16mm print. Made a mark on me to remember that I guess. Maybe I can retire my Ben and Me VHS finally!

2. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Rarities, Heroes, & Donald 2 all sound good. I don't know what to say about Spin & Marty, especially since we still aren't seeing the "True Life Adventures" set. [​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Donald II and the Rare shorts sound good, but I would have liked to have seen the 2nd Silly Symphonies set in there.

I still haven't picked up Mickey in B&W II yet!

4. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    "Disney Rarities" would be an ideal set to include Song of the South.

And thus ends my wishful thinking for the evening...

5. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

I hope Leslie Nielsen is involved in the Swamp Fox extras.
    A bit like Patriot.

6. David Williams

David Williams Screenwriter

As much as I love hearing that Donald V2 is coming, I'm slightly disappointed that it won't make it to at least 1952 when my favorite Donald Duck cartoon and perennial Halloween family favorite, Trick or Treat, was released. But then, Donald was very prolific in the 40s.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

If you really want to own it David, it was issued as a bonus short on The Black Cauldron Gold Collection DVD release..

8. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

The Disney Treasures have been a great run of titles. I'm really pumped about these.
    Todd

9. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I guess there must be a market for vintage TV episodes -- either that or producer Leonard Maltin is reliving his boyhood days and think we all want to do the same. The exclusion of the True-Life Adventures at this point is starting to become nettlesome. Maybe Disney is thinking about releasing the True-Life Adventures as separate DVDs, following their VHS model. Or maybe they fear protests from animal rights groups over some of the staged incidents, and are deciding to bury the films a'la Song of the South.

Guess its time to find someone who can burn my VHS copies to DVD before they disintegrate.

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Screenwriter

My vague memory seems to recall that this was to be a seperate release this year, sometime before midyear. I'm pretty certain the both TheDigitalBits and DVDFile reported this.

11. David Williams

David Williams Screenwriter

It makes sense that they would throw this in Donald V3, sort of like what they did with Mickey's Christmas Carol in MMiLC V2. After 1950, Donald didn't have that many cartoons and they would be needing something to 'fill' the set up with.

I'm guessing that Donald's WWII shorts won't be duplicated in this new set.

12. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Let's hope The Chronological Donald Volume 2 isn't a double dip of On the Front Lines.

13. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I just wish we could get two waves a year.

14. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Screenwriter

Is there any chance that Destino will be included in the Rarities set?

15. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Including the ones announced (rumoured) for this year, I wouldn't expect more than about six more cartoons collections in the WDT line - so they can't really give us too many in one wave, can they?

Donald from 1952 shouldn't be expected until a later volume - 3 or 4. What's included in vol. 2 is probably going to give us an idea of how many more volumes there will be - one or two.

Waiting for True-Life Adventures. I think that was pretty much "officially rumoured" for Wave 2 already.

16. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Screenwriter

Wasn't there a lot of original animated material produced for The Wonderful World of Walt Disney in Color? I wonder if there is enough Ludwig Von Drake material to fill one of these sets, and how much other original animated material exists from that era.

17. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I think someone on another forum had some reliable information indicating that Donald Volume 2 would include shorts from the years 1942-1947. They may be able to fit the rest in another volume. I also wonder when Pluto Volume 2 is due.

-D

18. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Much of the Walt Disney TV show is recycled material, and some of it wouldn't make sense to release on a DVD unless it contained a significant portion of new material.

Maltin was from the same generation of my parents: the baby boomers. They grew up on the Disney stuff, including, I presume, the Sunday anthology series. They got the Disney Channel when I was small and it was a good, pay-cable service, and it was here I saw many of the old movies, the cartoons, and some of the TV stuff, too.

Ernest, where have you been? Vintage TV episodes on DVD DO sell. Look at the diversity of product available. Look at the success of the website TVShowsonDVD.com. Whether or not you like the old Disney TV shows, many other people do and would like to see some DVDs. Considering there's nearly thirty years of anthology series material, plus Zorro, more Mickey Mouse Club, etc.

True-Life Adventures will come out eventually. But heaven only knows what physical condition they're in. Considering they were blown up from 16mm Kodachrome to 35mm to begin with. As for animal rights groups protesting their availability, we'd have heard of this by now if it were so. The short "Water Birds" is on the DVD of "The Rescuers," and it isn't in the greatest of shape. But I wouldn't mention that lemmings incident at the next meeting of Animal Liberation Front.

Well, every dog has his day, and Pluto's isn't in 2005. They should have put all his shorts on the first volume, as they could have fit easily if you removed the double-dips.

All these I'll get, but Donald v.2 is definitely the one I want the most. The title "Disney Rarities" has me fascinated, though. Would this be the "assorted" titles that don't fit into any larger set, or more behind-the-scenes stuff?

19. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Aside from Donald v.2, the only one that could possibly interest me is Disney Rarities. Still hoping for: True Life Adventures and a Disneyland USA v.2 in the near future.

-Reagan

20. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see a set devoted to the Florida parks, especially stuff about the design and building of Epcot.