What's new

Next Tuesday 9/10 Will Tell A Lot About CBS (1 Viewer)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Jack P said:
The mermaids weren't until S9, the last season. We still haven't gotten through the heart of the period when the show was at its peak popularity.
Agreed.

I looked at the show's ratings to refresh my memory as to the popularity
of Love Boat, and Seasons 4 and 6 were the highest rated of the run, in the
top 10 shows on TV.

season 1 (1977-78) Neilsen rank 13th
season 2 (1978-79) Neilsen rank 16th
season 3 (1979-80) not in the top 20
season 4 (1980-81) Neilsen rank 4th
season 5 (1981-82) Neilsen rank 15th
season 6 (1982-83) Neilsen rank 9th
season 7 (1983-84) Neilsen rank 17th
season 8 (1984-85) not in the top 20
season 9 (1985-86) not in the top 20

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
smithbrad said:
FYI, I contacted the site right after David's post. Since they responded to me directly with their policy I thought I would just post it here. I agree with Jack, they opened the door to the criticism with David's post.

"Retailers pay studios to get an exclusive window for a product. Those timed exclusives are rarely announced to the press, and we usually only find out about them the week before they hit stories - and never with full details, just the name of the set and a price. We decided long ago not to support these types of releases, as 1) the studios don't tell us about them (and often don't want us reporting on them), 2) don't send out details for the sets, 3) are effectively punishing customers that don't shop at X store.You may recall in the mid-2000s the studios were putting "exclusive bonus discs" in certain sets, at certain stores. It was a similar issue with these retailer exclusives, and when we decided to stop covering them (along with others), the studios stopped doing them. Hopefully we see a similar thing happen with these retailer exclusives.Hope that helps explain the policy."
The only counter-point I'm going to make is this: isn't it also "punishing customers" [i.e. consumers] to not report on a release, even if that release is limited to a particular outlet? I just think it makes more sense to get the news out even if the release is limited. At least that way consumers have a shot at getting what they want. But if the release isn't even reported it gives them no chance (outside of reading a thread like this, or just dumb luck).

Gary "just my two cents" O.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Gary OS said:
But if the release isn't even reported it gives them no chance (outside of reading a thread like this, or just dumb luck).
That seems to be the real issue to me. I've appreciated TSOD b/c I rely on them to let me know about new releases so I don't have to go looking for them myself. I don't always have time to check all the posts on HTF. And while I'm not a fan of TBH or PJ their release through Wal-Mart has set me to thinking. What if this becomes a more common approach that CBS takes and in the near future they release a show that I am interested in (say, Barnaby Jones) via this route? Now I'll have to make sure I check in to HTF more frequently b/c I can't count on it being reported by TSOD.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Their explanation is even more absurd from my standpoint. What is the difference between being "penalized" because one retail store has something (where you can *also* order it on-line from them if one of their stores is not in your area) and a label forcing you to buy direct from them to get an exclusive "bonus" item, which they will NOT make available to other outlets, as Shout has done with their Ernie Kovacs and Jack Benny releases? I did not like having to re-register at Shout to get the Benny content and paying higher, but I did it, and I certainly wouldn't have demanded news of the bonus content be hidden from other customers interested in that item. What Gord and David do not seem to realize, is that the decision should be up to the consumer based on *his* reaction to the available information, and when they decide to withhold that information on what is out there, *they* are the ones who are ultimately denying the consumer "choice" because of their dubious standard. They have run plenty of "news" items on things they had no press release on thanks to tips from readers on where things were being made available.

Gord and David's site is there to *report*, not editorialize and impact on the primary function of their site. When that happens, they compromise their ability to be taken seriously as a reliable outlet and as a consequence, I'm going to have less reason to frequent them for information, for which they can only blame themselves.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Did I miss something? Are you guys saying that because TSOD didn't report this news, you are denied purchasing these titles?Because I sure didn't understand it that way.Yet reading the hateful posts that are flying freely, that seems to be some people's interpretation.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
David Weicker said:
Yet reading the hateful posts that are flying freely, that seems to be some people's interpretation.
I don't think any of the posts were hateful. I don't think defining down hate to any kind of disagreement or criticism is a positive thing.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
David Weicker said:
Did I miss something? Are you guys saying that because TSOD didn't report this news, you are denied purchasing these titles?Because I sure didn't understand it that way.Yet reading the hateful posts that are flying freely, that seems to be some people's interpretation.
Bull manure. What are you calling hateful?

TVSODVD has obviously applied a double standard here. I don't know if they have an issue with Walmart but, yes, they are essentially denying people their right to buy TBH and PJ. There are thousands of people who do not visit this forum and rely on the TVSODVD site to keep them informed. I used to be one of those until I found this forum.

I was already aware CBS had remastered the shows and had saw Neil say some months back that they were likely coming out. How about for the ones who DO NOT subscribe to this forum? They're sitting and waiting, still wondering when these are coming due to the lack of reporting. All of this simply because it's sold via Walmart.

Their excuse of "brick and mortar" crap doesn't fly, either. It's sold online for Pete's sake.

Again, I'd love to know what you're finding hateful. I have waited 4 1/2 years for CBS to do S4 of The Hillbillies. If this doesn't sell well and CBS stalls it out for years to come, I believe we can lay part of the blame with TVSODVD for not doing what they say their job is.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
The only counter-point I'm going to make is this: isn't it also "punishing customers" [i.e. consumers] to not report on a release, even if that release is limited to a particular outlet? I just think it makes more sense to get the news out even if the release is limited. At least that way consumers have a shot at getting what they want. But if the release isn't even reported it gives them no chance (outside of reading a thread like this, or just dumb luck).

Gary "just my two cents" O.
I still really like TVSHOWSONDVD. I can understand why they would not report on exclusive bonus content or packaging because it could get unwieldy and confusing, but I don't think any of their readers would agree with their policy on exclusive releases. Most fans view the site as a "news" site, and as Carl Kolchak would say, "That’s the NEWS!" It’s also worth noting that the "punishment" rationale is completely inconsistent with their reporting on online exclusives from Amazon and the like. Perhaps it's true that studios (or Amazon) don't want them to report on brick and mortar exclusives. Beyond that, they seem to have a reverence for their policies that exceeds common sense IMO. It reminds me of an old Candid Camera trick. They went to a highway along the border of Delaware and another state during the slow part of the day and put up a sign reading "Delaware Closed." They had a lot of cars stop.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Largely because of HTF and other online sources, I have felt no need to visit TSOD in years and even forgot they existed. I agree with others and their disdain for this double standard and think the official "defense" of it from TSOD is ludicrous. If I were CBS/Paramount I would reconsider supplying them with any future release news and information.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Perhaps 'hateful' wasn't the correct word. But if this were a workplace, it would be classified as a 'hostile environment', and if I were part of TSOD, I wouldn't feel safe returning here

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This is not a workplace. This is a discussion forum where *they* chose to be candid about their policies in *this* forum, and as such invited discussion and criticism of their procedures, just as in any other discussion where we've ripped the studios for their practices on releases. I'm sure if they chose to talk further, we would all treat their answers with respect in talking to them and hoping they would change those procedures for the benefit of the consumers they hope to provide services for.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
David Weicker said:
Perhaps 'hateful' wasn't the correct word.But if this were a workplace, it would be classified as a 'hostile environment', and if I were part of TSOD, I wouldn't feel safe returning here
Buddy, I've worked in hostile environments and this is FAR from a hostile environment. If they fear to come back here because of some criticism, so be it. I'm not going to forego perusing their site and will continue to do so. I simply believe this is a double standard and I'm simply suggesting they re-examine their policy. If not, yes, I would push for CBS to not provide them with any info.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I will remain a huge fan of tvshowsondvd. They have been so good to me. It's the highlight of my evening to log on to their site and see if there's any news of a show that I care about. Or some show that I never knew about, but that sounds awfully interesting. And usually turns out to be great fun to watch.

And I am totally in favor of CBS releasing further seasons of stalled classic shows in any form or location. The more the merrier. I will become a huge fan of Wal-Mart too, if that's where I need to go to purchase the shows I would like to have.

This was just a little heads-up that I may not always hear about some of those releases on TSOD. So be it.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ron1973 said:
Buddy, I've worked in hostile environments and this is FAR from a hostile environment. If they fear to come back here because of some criticism, so be it. I'm not going to forego perusing their site and will continue to do so. I simply believe this is a double standard and I'm simply suggesting they re-examine their policy. If not, yes, I would push for CBS to not provide them with any info.
I'm with ya Ron. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. They can sugarcoat it anyway they want, but no-one is going to convince me this anything but financial. No-one want to offend the great media god Amazon. I'm can't say I'm surprised by this as history is littered with people deciding what material to announce and which material to shelve based upon their own personal interests. Nothing new here.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As far as a hostile environment goes, check out any sports forum sometime. This place is a tea party compared to those.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I understand people's frustration about TVSOD not reporting about these wal-mart exclusives but as Neil Brock pointed out both of these releases will be available in wide release at a later date- Its not like the only way to get them is through Wal-Mart.
Gord and David's site is there to *report*, not editorialize and impact on the primary function of their site.
FYI, its not Gord and David's site anymore- TVShowsonDVD.com was purchased by TV Guide back in 2007. This site has gone downhill a bit IMO since they sold it, they put more energy and effort into when they owned it, now it seems they don't do much of anything. I have noticed that their datebase is not up to date, certain shows do not list all existing releases and for others the release info is not accurate.

Like others, I don't understand this release policy, perhaps it is a reflection of a policy from the company that owns the site and not the fault of the two guys running the site?! I find it interesting that they report on releases from Shout! Select and Warner Archive (all releases from these two programs are Exclusive to the online stores operated by respective companies) yet do not cover other 'exclusive' releases?!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just like the rest of societal policies, BS or not, we can complain about it all we want, but it likely won't change anything anyway. It is what it is. We've gone round the block on this one and I'm getting tired of dealing with a couple guys who most likely aren't even listening anyway. I'm gonna try a different approach: 1) minimize my dealings with them, but more importantly 2) buy these great releases that I have waited for so long and not let this crap taint it.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
The internet is a big place. Why waste time on a site that doesn't do what it's supposed to do? For me there is no benefit or incentive to navigate through any site that has indefensibly compromised its purpose and practice. When a site gets corrupt by its own flexible principles, I move on and find another. There's enough imposed corruption in our everyday life to have to further submit to it online amidst so much choice. If a website cannot even honor its own reason for being, good riddance.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
So what did we learn about CBS on Tuesday 9/10?

I don't know if we can say Gunsmoke is stalled yet, but they have certainly slowed down the pace at which they were releasing them.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
JMas said:
So what did we learn about CBS on Tuesday 9/10?

I don't know if we can say Gunsmoke is stalled yet, but they have certainly slowed down the pace at which they were releasing them.
How do you figure that? They released two and a half seasons this year, more then probably any other year. The last season released was just last month. I'm betting we will see two more seasons released next year as well. You have to remember with Gunsmoke CBS remasters for furture HD broadcast, this all takes time and money to do. Gunsmoke is one of the last CBS series I would question with regards to stalled series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks