What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (4 Viewers)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Well at least Shout waits and admits when they can't use something, instead of releasing hacked up versions. (Rhoda notwithstanding)

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I still say that's a slightly different circumstance because the Punky Brewster cartoon episodes are explicitly bonus features, which are as a rule never given the TLC of the main program. It'd be something else if they released the cartoons on their own and THEN omitted the episode.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Ken_Martinez said:
I still say that's a slightly different circumstance because the Punky Brewster cartoon episodes are explicitly bonus features, which are as a rule never given the TLC of the main program. It'd be something else if they released the cartoons on their own and THEN omitted the episode.
Yeah...like with The Tick sets...

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I have a question. I know that "The All-New Superfriends Hour" contained PSAs, but did the 1980 series have them, or were they repeats of the ones produced for the previous show? The dvds do not have any for the 1980 series.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
moviebuff75 said:
I have a question. I know that "The All-New Superfriends Hour" contained PSAs, but did the 1980 series have them, or were they repeats of the ones produced for the previous show? The dvds do not have any for the 1980 series.
That's a good question.
The Superfriends episodes that aired in the 80s had short PSAs,
a few of them are on YouTube. It has what looks like the 80s graphics.

Has anyone searched for a list of which topics the PSAs covered?

There is a bicycle safety one from this '85 episode.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
What's more, some of the newer characters like Samurai and Black Vulcan gave some PSAs, so I guess they made a few new ones. This was definitely older, as Danny Dark's inflection as Superman is still low.

Great memories from the other ads and clips on this video...like Moss Man and Zack. (the FUTURE BLOB~!)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Todays news brought us that the 3 episode Scooby sets that got released in region 2 appearing to slowly be coming to region 1. I belive some of them include new to dvd episodes, but also this doesn't give us any movement in if they made any changes to the marketing strategy yet, since the last batch of release have all long since been known or expected.

They announced a Tom and Jerry set for mid febuary, i think that's the only WB announcement so far that soon in advance, but if we are expecting Scooby Doo Goal to be a laff-a-lympics set, that announcement should be coming soon.

However the other alternatives always could have been it's just sports themed scooby episodes and it's planned to be arriving to coincide with the World Cup. Which of course is not till later in the year. Time will tell in this department.

Also WA gave a response to Shirt Tales saying no ETA, so nothing to indicate they might have started that one yet. So i'd say bump that one down a few on the suspect list for now.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Darby67 said:
Here is the release info for Scooby-Doo and the Vampires: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Whats-New-Scooby-Doo-Scooby-Doo-and-the-Vampires/19128Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats (one of the famous "missing 8" episodes of classic Scooby-Doo) is on it. I just wish they would release all 8 of them in one release rather than the piecemeal approach.Darby
What's crazy about how WB is picking the episodes to release,Is that Vampire Bats has been out on DVD for 12 years already.It was on one of the very first Scooby Doo single disc releases,way back in 2001. I shake my head every time one of these setsIs announced. Any fan who really wants to watch these showsshould just download them from iTunes, and be done with it.Ridiculous waiting forever for a DVD.http://scoobydoo.wikia.com/wiki/Scooby-Doo%27s_Spookiest_Tales_(DVD)

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Not gonna happen. More DVDs to buy = more $$$$ for WB.

About Shirt Tales: do they need the rights from whoever came up with the greeting cards first?

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
The episode of that season on this release however is the actual full one. The one on the very early realese was a bad working cut they got from somewhere. There are like 3 other "Scooby Doo and the" releases that came to region 2 months ago that are just now coming to region 1.

If you don't want to wait out season sets, then you can go ahead an order all the seasons from itunes or one these sets. Wikipedia and the Scooby Wiki seem to be keeping lists of what ones go on where, but i made my own list for personal reference. Either way they haven't finished any of the seasons yet in that form, keeping the theory they are stalling the money out. Which given the only way we'll ever see Scooby season sets finished will be after they pay the heavy pricetag for the New Scooby Movies, the only two logicial motives are greed and fronting costs, or very likely both.

WB's transparency on how their system works, and the way the only things in those states either are currently marketable and/or have big costs preventing there ever being completion of, seems a pretty heavy indicator what the game plan is if there is one. And the transparency says if there wasn't any plan, WA would have them all.
JMFabianoRPL said:
About Shirt Tales: do they need the rights from whoever came up with the greeting cards first?
There has never been any mention of them needing them. And given Shirt Tales is an 80s show, it's far more likely they had in perpetuity clauses for home media on it from the start. Hence meaning there would never be any rights problems.

The only later things things off the top of my head in the time frame that do are of course Saturday supercade that was a special production, and WA doesn't answer much on the Gary Coleman Show. Which may require a royalty. And i do beleive his estate was only cleared in court as of last year. I wouldn't be surprised if there are just saying mum on that till more time passes. Given it aired on Cartoon Network they should own it.

EDIT: On double checking research Hanna Barbera must have started implementing them in 1979. Given that year has some licensesd characters with no issues known (Super Globetrotters, Casper, etc) but also has the Thing show that does have rights issues. So at some point during that year they must have started. Everything from 1980 on seems to be owned by whoever got distribution without problems. Since several of those have characters owned by other people, but the shows themselves seem to have a clear owner who has video rights.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
What's crazy about how WB is picking the episodes to release,Is that Vampire Bats has been out on DVD for 12 years already.It was on one of the very first Scooby Doo single disc releases,way back in 2001. I shake my head every time one of these setsIs announced. Any fan who really wants to watch these showsshould just download them from iTunes, and be done with it.Ridiculous waiting forever for a DVD.
I have that set and it's a good episode, but I'm not aware of any of the other "missing" episodes available on DVD...?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
albert_m2 said:
I have that set and it's a good episode, but I'm not aware of any of the other "missing" episodes available on DVD...?
There are 8 episode from 1977 that have not been released on DVD. Well, not all 8 of them have been released. These were originally part of the Scooby's All Star Laf-A-Lympics show. Those 8 episodes are:

The Curse of Viking Lake
Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
Hang In There Scooby Doo
The Chiller Diller Movie Thriller
The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
The Ozark Witch Switch
Creepy Cruise
The Creepy Hep From the Deep

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Three of them are on DVD -
Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats - on DVD - Scooby Doo's Spookiest tales
Hang In There Scooby Doo - on DVD "Scooby-Doo! - 13 Spooky Tales: Run For Your 'Rife!
The Ozark Witch Switch - on dvd Scooby-Doo: 13 Spooky Tales Around the World
Brian Himes said:
There are 8 episode from 1977 that have not been released on DVD. Well, not all 8 of them have been released. These were originally part of the Scooby's All Star Laf-A-Lympics show. Those 8 episodes are:

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I think it's unfair not to mention the Spookiest Tales verison of that ep is not the regular print people have seen for the last several years and the version on this new DVD is (er well the ones shipped in Europe are and the American one should as well)

Copy and pasting from the Scooby gurus of the scooby wiki
[*]Scooby-Doo's Spookiest Tales featured a different cut of this episode with a few changes:
[*]The title card is missing, probably because the two episodes that this one airs in-between have no title card at all.
[*]Some of the blue lighting was changed to brown.
[*]After Fred says, "Next stop: Lisa's hotel!", the Mystery Machine's driving animation is more smooth, and the vampire materializes from its exhaust using a spacey sound. (In the original, the Mystery Machine had more crude animation, and the camera zoomed out to show the vampire.)
[*]Some more sound was added, especially to Scooby-Dum's reactions as he and Scooby-Doo try to load the coffin into the Mystery Machine.
[*]Mr. Dracul has a softer voice.
[*]When Shaggy and Dracul carry the coffin, the transition from light to dark is rougher.
[*]The scene where Shaggy and the Scoobies are blocking the door from the vampire (as Lisa gets her post-hypnotic trigger phone call) is flipped so that the door is on the left.
[*]When the Scoobies trap the vampire in the coffin, he doesn't keep bobbing up and down after he sinks.
[/list]

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MattPriceTime said:
I think it's unfair not to mention the Spookiest Tales verison of that ep is not the regular print people have seen for the last several years and the version on this new DVD is (er well the ones shipped in Europe are and the American one should as well)

Copy and pasting from the Scooby gurus of the scooby wiki
Well, that's interesting. So which version (if either one) is the original? (I gave up and recorded these 8 plus the missing New Scooby-Doo Movies and second season Dynomutts off Boomerang, just to have them even as reference copies.)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats - on DVD - Scooby Doo's Spookiest tales
Hang In There Scooby Doo - on DVD "Scooby-Doo! - 13 Spooky Tales: Run For Your 'Rife!
The Ozark Witch Switch - on dvd Scooby-Doo: 13 Spooky Tales Around the World
Thanks that's what I meant I guess, but didn't say well, that is which ones made it to disc beyond Vampire (which I think is a great episode) I don't remember the other two by title.

Btw, it annoys me that Boomerang or whatever that plays Scooby Doo only airs the first two seasons and occassionally the "movies" season after that, none of the other 70s seasons.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Warning: It appears the Drak Pack DVD set has gone OOP. If you have one, take care of it, if you never got it, it may be harder to get now.

It doesn't appear the other HB show released by them is going OOP yet though (Dinky Dog), but it may be possibly going soon too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks