What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (6 Viewers)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am curious to why clue club has not come out yet. I remember seeing it in one of the polls.

I heard nothing on the new adventures of Gilligan for more than three years. I believe there were issues with the original copies as they needed to be cleaned up. New Adventures of Gilligan and Banana Splits are only remaining shows not released from the 1970s saturday morning sets

I am happy that i have over 50 cartoons now on DVD, but i am still missing a few that would love in my collection. In some cases my list has shows that have issues with licensing. Here are my remaining shows:

1. New Adventures of Gilligan

2. Jeannie

3. Partridge Family 2200 AD

4. These our the days

5. Banana Splits

6. Clue Club

7. Skatebirds

8. Wait till your father gets home (S2/S3)

9. Devlin

10. My favorite martian.

I still like to understand the status of the live action shows that are Sid Krofft. I know this HB thread, but it is still a thread about saturday morning cartoons. I would love to have far out space nuts or lost saucer, etc.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
They were just asked about Clue Club on twitter, saying "nothing to announce but we are aware of it's awesomeness". So given we know it's probably in the works now. We just wait. If they spent more resources on bigger projects like Space Stars and Captain Caveman then we should expect some of the less problem ones to be rolling out too. Let's not forget last year they announced 2 HB titles at comic con but within the 9 week period, they also put out 2 other series plus 4 specials dvds. So we just wait and see how they roll them out.

On another note, Captain Caveman is climbing the sales it seems. It hasn't even been out a week yet and their bestselling algorithm has it already ahead of things that have been out for years. People do love Captain Caveman it seems.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ethan Riley said:
I can just imagine the Pitch Meeting for Captain Caveman, so many years ago:
Actually, 70's-80's HB tended to be mix-and-match:
When Cavie stopped hanging around with the Teen Angels, an updated Casper the Friendly Ghost filled in.
At that point, "Wacky superhero parody" was pretty much coin of the realm, and Mel Blanc seemed near retirement, so they would craft entire show concepts around being lucky enough to hire him for a voice shtick. (Qv. "Speed Buggy".)

(And gosh...you seem shocked that 70's HB was following the lead of network TV crazes. I've never heard of such a thing, myself.)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
rmw650 said:
So does this set contain the remaining Laff-a-Lympics episodes or are we still waiting for those to show up in a future HB release?
Laff-a-Lympics sets are released by WHV, not through the Archive. Yes, we'll still be
waiting to see if the 2nd season is released, and in what format. WHV started
releasing four shows at a time on Volume 1 and 2, and then released the final 8
episodes from Season One on the "Spooky Games" set.

Since WHV still seems to be planning more of the two disc Scooby Doo sets that
contain a number of episodes from random versions of the various years of Scooby
Doo shows, it seems likely they sell well enough to continue.

Given that the winter olympics are coming up in February 2014, I would "guess" that
another batch of Laff-a-Lympics episodes from Season Two might come out around
Christmas.

Since there are only 8 left, maybe they will all be on the next set, with four
other random Scooby Episodes, or hopefully, my personal wish, that WHV includes
the final four episodes of Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, which originally aired as part
of the "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" show.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
As i posted above one of the two other Scooby sets they green-lighted but have yet to announce is called "Scooby Doo Goal" it's a sport themed set or another laff-a-lympic set. Which where it is, it makes far too much sense for them to have the eight not to DVD episodes with the four double dips not on Spooky Games and the new feature.

However it is also possible the set is just sports themed. But either way we should be expecting it to be announced for olympic time. And we do know that WHV press releases are up to November now. So we are getting closer to seeing what they chose to do.

I personally think they decided to drop the volumes of LAL since two sets with a new feature probably are going to sell better than volumes with four episodes each. And if the theory of them using the stalled releases as a way to build capital on casual buys to fix the issues then it would flow better.

I came to that idea because especially when the podcast had said WA got Captain Caveman because he was orphaned, so clearly WHV still has some plans to deal with the season sets (since the if Cavey was the only orphaned there must be plans for the other parts). Since WHV could release the 25 episode set with many shows they sent their season set forms to WA. So the idea that some of the Scoobys have rights issues, the idea they are drawing funds together on them and planning to slowly give the collectors a wink doesn't sound far-fetched. Especially given Spooky Games and TOm and Jerry kids season 1 came out of nowhere, i feel there's a method underneath what we once thought was confusing.

The Laff-a-lympics always were a draw for fans, so i assume they went with that one as their wink for Scooby at first. And i think we'll see another one announced for the olympic season. Also on the smurf side do notice most of the random smurf sets are usually just using season 1 and 2. WA told us the smurfs masters were a mess, so maybe the retail releases are using only what's good to go to draw more funds for fixing up the whole thing for eventual season sets.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Ejanss said:
Actually, 70's-80's HB tended to be mix-and-match:
When Cavie stopped hanging around with the Teen Angels, an updated Casper the Friendly Ghost filled in.
At that point, "Wacky superhero parody" was pretty much coin of the realm, and Mel Blanc seemed near retirement, so they would craft entire show concepts around being lucky enough to hire him for a voice shtick. (Qv. "Speed Buggy".)

(And gosh...you seem shocked that 70's HB was following the lead of network TV crazes. I've never heard of such a thing, myself.)
The "Angels" on that Casper show were more of a Laverne and Shirley knock-off. But, oh yes...shocked! I was SHOCKED!!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
A Quick review on Captain Caveman:
The remastering Job on Captain Caveman was very good. It looks very clean without most of the usual blemishes. Its on Pressed discs for those who care about that.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Thanks Randy, for the update. For us 'out of the USA' residents,
I saw that it can be pre-ordered from deepdiscount.com and it
has a mid Aug. delivery.

The set is also on Amazon.com now, but the price with shipping
to Canada was way cheaper at Deepdiscount,
I've waited this long, I can wait another couple of weeks!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
JoeDoakes said:
Yes, Don Gato. If anyone gets this, perhaps they could comment on the English Voice work and how well it fits with traditional Top Cat cartoons.
I own this movie already from a Mexican DVD release that I purchased on eBay. There is an English soundtrack on the disc (Ingles is Spanish for English). They did a good job trying to match the original voices but it's just not the same. I wish I could have seen it in 3-D because this film would be fun to watch in that format. It's obvious by how the scenes play out that the 3-D version would have been awesome.

As a movie, it's all right. It's not the greatest in the world and it's not the worst either. I think I prefer TOP CAT AND THE BEVERLY HILLS CATS more but I'm glad T.C. got a theatrical film. The opening scene is absolutely wonderful because they re-created the original opening credits in an elongated fashion. They used the original TV show theme song for the opening titles, too.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I picked up Captain Caveman today as i was a fan of the show as a kid. I also plan to pick up Charlie Chan set as well as other sets when they come down in price. The sets are too expensive for me to buy now.

I am also very disappointed that the sets released by warner brothers are not available in Canada.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched a few episodes of Captain Caveman and notice the laff lympics ending shows up at end of a few episodes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone mentioned the transfers of the Super Friends season 5 episodes? Looks like VHS to me, complete with a ghost line down the left side of the screen, about two inches from the edge. The credits in particular look shabby - reminds me of the DC Filmation collection from several years back; those credit sequences were terrible, although the episodes themselves looked good, certainly better than this batch of SF season 5.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Today on fb they said Space Stars is still coming soon but appears a little later than they probably originally expected. Which seems to make sense because it seems they may have rearranged their schedule a bit, since a couple things have hastily appeared for disappeared from the pre-orders as of late, i get the feeling they flipped a few things around at the last minute as to what was coming each week.

Nothing new dropped by way of new hints but seems their work on Clue Club and Go-bots moves on.

Also on a non-HB note but i think this comment is more apporpriate here than in the main WA thread, apparently Rankin Bass's Tigersharks has cleareance issues....is this the reason why it never got aired on CN in the 90s? I remember devoutly watching Thundercats and Silverhawks re-runs but i had no idea till later their was a third show like it till i was older. I'm curious if anyone knows what issue their might be there.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Matt Price, I will jumped for joy when Banana Splits or New Advenutres of Gilligan or Devlin or these our the days or Jeannie or Partridge Family 2200AD are released.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MattPriceTime said:
Also on a non-HB note but i think this comment is more apporpriate here than in the main WA thread, apparently Rankin Bass's Tigersharks has cleareance issues....is this the reason why it never got aired on CN in the 90s? I remember devoutly watching Thundercats and Silverhawks re-runs but i had no idea till later their was a third show like it till i was older. I'm curious if anyone knows what issue their might be there.
I don't remember RB's Tigersharks ever being syndicated in its own half-hour format--
It was originally aired as part of "The Comic Strip", a show of rotating 15-minute segments, and was the only action series of the bunch. (Doing half-hour episodes in two parts.)
Like Warner wondering how to divvy up the Banana Splits series, it's likely they can't air the one show without having to air the other shows it came with, in the "original" episode form..

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Sam Favate said:
Has anyone mentioned the transfers of the Super Friends season 5 episodes? Looks like VHS to me, complete with a ghost line down the left side of the screen, about two inches from the edge. The credits in particular look shabby
I agree the video quality doesn't look fantastic, especially the credits.
But i'm still very happy to have the set, and looking forward to the rest
of the series releasing next month.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
younger1968 said:
I watched a few episodes of Captain Caveman and notice the laff lympics ending shows up at end of a few episodes.
As they originally were, as part of that block. I haven't got the set yet do the end credits reference LAL in any way outside of the staff and actors?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I forgot to mention, for those without a Target store near by,
it was announced that the 1979 "World's Greatest Superfiends" set
(so far only available exclusively at Target brick and mortar stores)
will be going to wide release on Nov. 12.

I almost ordered it from the Amazon marketplace last week for about $35,
with shipping to Canada, so i'm glad to have decided to wait. And for those
in Canada interested in Captain Caveman, Deepdisount.com is now shipping it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Worlds-Greatest-Superfriends-Season-4/18828

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks