What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (6 Viewers)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
The twitter guy also dropped something we haven't heard before yet today. He has stated they have finally began work on the next Gobots release. As in actually saying it's in the work not just within a time frame like in the past.

Personally i have no desire for either Marine Boy or Gobots, but at least news is moving. But they've probably added some more shows to the work load, especially if that article pans out and one of the long term projects is expected to be released this year, that naturally opens up more time on others.

And on another note, from what we've been told, i'm seeing the general belief circulating around is due to the success of returning to season sets for WB animation, WHV chose to take another stab at what they have of Hanna Barbera but seperate from the random episode sets. By the looks they chose Tom and Jerry first but decided to do the syndicated versions of the 70s and sent Grape Ape and Mumbly to WA, but WA is trying to sway them into getting the Tom and Jerry segments together to do the original airing. This seems to be the leading theory on why Tom and Jerry Kids is going first. A bunch of people expect within the next year or so we'll get to see WHV continue out Tom and Jerry Kids and make another laff-a-lympics release to coincide with the real games. Whether that is a return to volumes, or a companion set to Spooky Games, is naturally yet to really be seen. Of course this is all conjecture, but it does seem to make sense. So i figured i'd post it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Marine Boy is before my time. I'd be interested in hearing what people think of it. Personally, I'm still waiting for Clue Club or, Heavens to Betsy Ross, funny animals from the 1960s or literary classics from the 1970s.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Greg Chenoweth said:
I had never heard of MARINE BOY until the Saturday Morning Cartoon sets came out a few years ago. I have never seen it.
Maybe Warners thinks that there are enough anime fans to get it out now

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I remember watching Marine Boy a very, very long time ago, when I was seven or eight - and I'm fifty years old this year! This refers to the UK broadcast.

Of course, the 78 dubbed episodes are by no means the complete story; in fact it is only the second season of the third Japanese series. The first two series were much, much shorter, but the third was huge.

The three series were:

Dolphin Prince (with just three episodes, in black and white)

Hang On! Marine Kid (Ganbare! Marin Kiddo) with 13 colour episodes

Undersea Boy Marine (Kaitei Shônen Marin) which had two seasons, the first of 36 episodes and the second with 78, all in colour)

So it is actually only 78 out of a potential 130. No idea of the status of the original Japanese episodes, but I seriously doubt we're going to get them, or even the 78 in their original form.

The series is certainly of interest to anyone who saw it originally, also, as a piece of early anime.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Guys, I guess you like what you grew up with. I love Marine Boy. This was one of the coolest Japanese releases of the 1960"s. I couldn't argue if people said Speed Racer or 8th Man.

The show is a lot like Speed Racer. Cool theme song, great stories that were more sophisticated then most Hanna-Barbara cartoons of the day, with the exception of Johnny Quest.

"It's Marine Boy brave and free"
"Fighting vilians under the sea"
"He's a boy, a very special boy"
"powered by propellor shoes"
"Flying sub ahoy"
"Whooshing through the water on a friendly dolphin's back"
"Racing to the rescue of victims of attack"
"In a flash, he'll foil the foe"
"With a quick boomerang through"
"Loyal friend of the seas to the end is our Marine Boy"

Or something like that. I am really psyched about this release. I can't get on their facebook page at work. What does it say, complete series--I doubt, or vol. 1????

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MattPriceTime said:
The twitter guy also dropped something we haven't heard before yet today. He has stated they have finally began work on the next Gobots release. As in actually saying it's in the work not just within a time frame like in the past.

Personally i have no desire for either Marine Boy or Gobots, but at least news is moving. But they've probably added some more shows to the work load, especially if that article pans out and one of the long term projects is expected to be released this year, that naturally opens up more time on others.

And on another note, from what we've been told, i'm seeing the general belief circulating around is due to the success of returning to season sets for WB animation, WHV chose to take another stab at what they have of Hanna Barbera but seperate from the random episode sets. By the looks they chose Tom and Jerry first but decided to do the syndicated versions of the 70s and sent Grape Ape and Mumbly to WA, but WA is trying to sway them into getting the Tom and Jerry segments together to do the original airing. This seems to be the leading theory on why Tom and Jerry Kids is going first. A bunch of people expect within the next year or so we'll get to see WHV continue out Tom and Jerry Kids and make another laff-a-lympics release to coincide with the real games. Whether that is a return to volumes, or a companion set to Spooky Games, is naturally yet to really be seen. Of course this is all conjecture, but it does seem to make sense. So i figured i'd post it.
I'd love to see a complete set of T&J/Grape Ape/Mumbly. Especially since (to my utter shock and amazement) the episode included in the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Vol. 2 set was absolutely complete (aside from the very end of the theme song being faded out slightly early on the opening titles) and in pristine condition, even including the original bumpers.

However, I think WB would consider finishing the theatrical Tom & Jerrry cartoons to be a higher priority. Personally, 1960s Hanna-Barbera is a higher priority for me and I'd plunk down the dough for Potamus, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draw, Ruff & Reddy, Wally and company, Loopy De Loop or the remaining Huckleberry Hound before 1975 Tom & Jerry. But I would like to see it all ultimately come out.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/New-Scooby-Doo-Mysteries-13-Spooky-Tales-Ruh-Roh-Robot/18574

Another random Scooby set coming Sept 24. The content is interesting, because unlike several
other recent sets, one of the two discs contains a selection of quite a bit of new to DVD material,
and the other disc is basically all from one series. Another half episode from The All-New Scooby
and Scrappy-Doo Show shows up here on this set, there are a bunch of these 11min shorts out
on DVD now.

Disc 1 episodes:

[*]Foul Play in Funland (Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!) on season one, from Nov 1, 1969
[*]The Scary Sky Skeleton (Scooby and Scrappy-Doo) ***new to DVD (aired Oct 27 1979) 23min full show
[*]Way Out Scooby (The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Hour) *** new to DVD(aired Jan 10, 1981) 8min short
[*]Who's Scooby-Doo? (The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo Puppy Hour) ***new to DVD(aired Oct 23, 1982) 7 min short
[*]Disappearing Car Cape (The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo Puppy Hour) ***new to DVD(aired Nov 20 1982) 7 min short
[*]The Dinosaur Deception (The All-New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show) ***new to DVD Sept 17, 1983) 11 min short
[/list]
disc2: ***New to DVD, from 1984

[*]The Hand of Horror (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[*]Doom Service (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[*]A Code in the Nose (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[*]The Bee Team (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[*]A Night Louse at the White House, Part I (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[*]A Night Louse at the White House, Part II (The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries)
[/list]

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'm still waiting for these H-B Animated Series:

The Adventures of Gulliver

The New Adventures of Huck Finn

These were the Days

Devlin

And I know, I've said this umte ump dozen times before but if it was announced that these two animated series (Non H-B), Hot Wheels and Skyhawks were going to be released on DVD and/or Blu-Ray the Shock Wake emitted from my house would make that Meteor that hit Russia a few months ago look like a Firecracker Whipper Snapper! :rolling-smiley:

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'd say no matter which side wins the 70s Tom and Jerry it may not be that soon.

The Scooby set is also interesting. As with the Smurfs set, this seems to be a mid way release. As in testing the waters. But given those said episodes are available for digitial download, and those 25th sets make use of double dips, And WHV has released plenty of double dips of season sets they already released. i doubt they replace the idea of WHV getting back to complete season sets.

Not too sure why Tom and Jerry Kids is going first after all. But maybe they felt the Tom and Jerry side needed a little more love given a lot of people are still mad over the two skipped theatricals. While the Scooby and Smurf communities are probably a little less hostile. As even though we aren't getting season sets both random episode lines are at least giving out new episodes. So perhaps the Tom and Jerry ones were the first ones to get given the shot. As we should note this whole WA aspect is only on the 75 series. As on the same day i asked someone asked about the Deitch-era ones and the answer to them was as it was always, It would be WHV, but on the 75 series they said it wasn't firmed up. So if they aren't sure than that is probably why we got T&J kids season 1 when we did. If they keep it's schedule like the other WB season sets we might see the announcement of that next release within the summer. Plus as i said they've also got another olympic season coming up so we have to see what plans for laff-a-lympics they have to go along with it.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MattPriceTime said:
I'd say no matter which side wins the 70s Tom and Jerry it may not be that soon.

The Scooby set is also interesting. As with the Smurfs set, this seems to be a mid way release. As in testing the waters. But given those said episodes are available for digitial download, and those 25th sets make use of double dips, And WHV has released plenty of double dips of season sets they already released. i doubt they replace the idea of WHV getting back to complete season sets.

Not too sure why Tom and Jerry Kids is going first after all. But maybe they felt the Tom and Jerry side needed a little more love given a lot of people are still mad over the two skipped theatricals. While the Scooby and Smurf communities are probably a little less hostile. As even though we aren't getting season sets both random episode lines are at least giving out new episodes. So perhaps the Tom and Jerry ones were the first ones to get given the shot. As we should note this whole WA aspect is only on the 75 series. As on the same day i asked someone asked about the Deitch-era ones and the answer to them was as it was always, It would be WHV, but on the 75 series they said it wasn't firmed up. So if they aren't sure than that is probably why we got T&J kids season 1 when we did. If they keep it's schedule like the other WB season sets we might see the announcement of that next release within the summer. Plus as i said they've also got another olympic season coming up so we have to see what plans for laff-a-lympics they have to go along with it.
It would make sense for T&J/GA to go to the archive, given that the archive is releasing the 1960s Popeyes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
MattPriceTime said:
I'm happy to hear it. I got through the GoBots miniseries a long time ago and I just acquired all the old GoBots toys from my parents. I was going through them last night and thought...gee...its time for more episodes!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Popeye is another good source of reference here. WHV clearly let some of it go, so it strengthens the theory that they could let a certain part of the series (or hint hint a certain release type) to the Archive but keep other parts for themselves.

And acquiring stuff like that is cool. I ended up getting a lot of the old He-Man and She-ra toys my uncle had in his youth. Pretty cool finds.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
He Man and Gobots are 1980s shows. That wasn't that long ago! Boy, when grown men start discussing inheriting toys their parents played with in the 1980s do I feel old.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
JoeDoakes said:
He Man and Gobots are 1980s shows. That wasn't that long ago! Boy, when grown men start discussing inheriting toys their parents played with in the 1980s do I feel old.
Very true! I am 34, so I guess that's all relative, right? :cool:

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well in my case i got those a while back because my Uncle is one of those people who wanted to distant themselves from their childhood as he "grew up" and when my grandparents were cleaning up and had to get rid of some stuff i got them. But at the same time there is a significant age difference between my mom and her sister and their brother who was born much later and was an 80s kid. I was a 90s kids before distribution went to hell. So when it came to "do you want your Uncle's old He-man figures?" i was like "YES!". And the rest was history lol.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
Very true! I am 34, so I guess that's all relative, right? :cool:
Whippersnapper!
prophet.gif

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I'm really hoping for a Flintstones Blu-ray release at some point. My flipper discs are scratched and I can't view some episodes, others have the wrong opening, "The Big Move" is edited. I am holding off rebuying the series in the Complete Series set until I know that a blu may be coming in the next year or so. If not, I'm going to have to go ahead and buy it.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Not too sure that day is ever going to happen. But alot of older WB sets seem to exist in the current WBShop Twlight, where they'll probably always be there to buy again, but if the time you go looking for it, the only place it's currently there is Wbshop, prepare to pay more. And on observation it appears the original Scooby Doo set is now the most inflated of them all. But it would seem WBshop has no problem doing occasional deep discounts. As of right now WBshop actually has that item cheaper than Amazon. (it's over 70% off on Wbshop right now)

While it's not Hanna Barbera, Marine Boy Season 1 is available today. I know some people are going to pick that up, so i figured i'd post it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks