What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I broked down and purchased Roman Hollidays and Addams Family (1973) sets. However, the sets were expensive as i had to order them from amazon.com. It is too bad MOD program can not fix its issues with Canada.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Speaking of Gus and his family, we're a month out now from the last release. So since WA seems to be working in patterns, wonder what we're in for next. We know they've got four (maybe five) long term projects in their work from what they've told us. So maybe they've slowed down on some of the easier ones and are trying to get at least one of them done? That article said expected CC out this year, and the success of Yogi's Gang's release might have made them want to speed up some funny animals?

Or maybe they are just lining up more of the lesser ones? If so then i'd say our next pattern of sets would have high chances of being Clue Club, Shirt Tales and Cave Kids.

I think we've gotten use to these on-train periods and off-train periods, but so far i hope they continue with keeping up a pace. And not going into a long drought like we had in 2011.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Randy Korstick said:
Wow this does sound like a very dissapointing set. It makes me more grateful we have Warner Archive releasing the complete series sets that we want instead of the contunual compilations with lots of double and triple dipping that WHV keeps releasing. If this has poor sales hopefully it will convince them to turn all the HB material over to Warner Archive.
Just a heads-up on the Best Of Warner Bros. Hanna-Barbera release:

It includes a longer version of the "Here Comes A Star" Magilla Gorilla introductory special than is included on the Magilla Gorilla DVD set. This version includes a few clips of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound and the Flintstones, which are triggered early in the special when Groucho's buddy George Fenneman is looking at their portraits on the wall. There also is a song from the movie Hey There It's Yogi Bear (Bill and Joe run it for George in the screening room). The whole thing runs about 29 minutes.

Just in case anyone's keeping score, the versions of the Yogi Bear show opening and closing included here are the USA Cartoon Express versions from the 1980s.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I asked over on the flickir group but i guess i forgot too here too. But has anything at all come out as to what went wrong here? While we have the base assumption WHV screwed up, i have to point out the odd coincidences that when the art came out and it said 25 cartoon collection a lot of people raised a confusion because that long list clearly had more cartoons than 25, and then when the set was released it has exactly 25.

Now i'm all for calling out WHV when they do something wrong or questionable but i can't help but feel the real problem here was that press release list is what was messed up. Do we know of where that list originated from? Was it true at one point and WHV for some reason made it much smaller before release or was that just a bloated fake list someone didn't do enough fact checking on? Since a lot of the times lazy distributors love to just say what's on the back of the case for their press release and according to everyone on this site, the list of toons is nowhere to be found on said sets. So once again the simple question, where did that list actually come from?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
MattPriceTime said:
I asked over on the flickir group but i guess i forgot too here too. But has anything at all come out as to what went wrong here? While we have the base assumption WHV screwed up, i have to point out the odd coincidences that when the art came out and it said 25 cartoon collection a lot of people raised a confusion because that long list clearly had more cartoons than 25, and then when the set was released it has exactly 25.

Now i'm all for calling out WHV when they do something wrong or questionable but i can't help but feel the real problem here was that press release list is what was messed up. Do we know of where that list originated from? Was it true at one point and WHV for some reason made it much smaller before release or was that just a bloated fake list someone didn't do enough fact checking on? Since a lot of the times lazy distributors love to just say what's on the back of the case for their press release and according to everyone on this site, the list of toons is nowhere to be found on said sets. So once again the simple question, where did that list actually come from?
This is standard operating procedure. Same thing happened with the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1960s and 1970s sets. Put out a press release listing one version of the contents, and then release it with a different lineup. I bet this is the primary reason these kind of sets tend not to have the contents listed anywhere on the packaging as well: it's prepared too far in advance. Just watching the DVD you can tell it was compiled by someone who didn't know the material. That's insane, the QDM show opening and closing repeated six times before and after every cartoon from the show. I bet the legal department made them do that or something.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well then i feel (barring some wrong turns down corporate world landscapes among that assessment) the high crux of the blame then belongs to the WHV press release department. At the very least they should make an effort to amend wrong information or include a disclaimer on the original announcement saying the lineup could be subject to change.

In the set itself feels very thrown together in that even if it was "wrong" in having a opening/closing on each cartoon, i would have liked they had kept a standard going on what their rule was. If we can't have 100% accurate at least give us some form of consistency. Sadly it appears this set didn't deliver either lol.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
There is a potential mix-up as to which episode is actually on this upcoming Scooby compilation set.

The TVSHOWSONDVD news piece originally stated that the episode "Hang in there, Scooby-Doo"
from "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Hour" is listed on this upcoming set. I think a few people (myself
included) emailed them to say that the episode "Hang is there, Scooby-Doo" is from Sept 24, 1977
(from Laff-A-Lympics).

But, here's the thing I didn't realize until now, another episode with almost the same name,
"Hang in there Scooby" aired Nov 22, 1980 as part of the "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Show".

So here's the thing: Maybe the 1980 short from Richie Rich is what's coming on the next set, and
maybe the "Missing Eight" 1977 episodes are still coming out someday as a set?

Nebiroth said:
TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

Attachments

• hang.jpg
    hang.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 30

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:

SO - what's going to happen with the "Best of 50" set coming out June 25th?

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Warner-Bros-Cartoon-Collection/dp/B00BTJTYB2/ref=pd_sim_mov_2

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
What's the current status with the Jeannie and the Partridge Family cartoons?
They are Hanna-Barbera cartoons of Sony properties? Correct?
Hanna-Barbera is owned by Warners, but isn't Warners working with Sony by releasing some of their shows to MOD like Bridget Loves Bernie, and Ghost Story, etc. Can't they strike some kind of deal?
Or is it something more problemetic like actors royalities because the toons used the actor's likenesses?
The Patridge family, maybe, yes, but what about Jeannie?
I thought they purposely made the characters teenagers and Jeannie a redhead so Barbara Eden couldn't say it was her likeness.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Sony only has an agreement with WB to be able to sell their MODs on Wbshop. Sony is still making all decisions on them though. Hence why often Sony MODs aren't included in every sale.

As far as that program is concerned, Sony is having some problems right now as we all know, but they have done some animation releases through their MOD program and they even did the first Jeannie telefilm through it. As long as that program stays in progress i think it is likely we'll see those two Sony HB shows get released. I'd bank they have the best odds of the non-WB owned shows to make it to DVD as of what's left.

However now that they have some financial issues i wonder if Warner will be willing to pay them some cash for the two properties they know are probably going to sell moderately well but aren't exactly cash cows. We have to wait and see but don't fret there's plenty to be optimistic about for those two at least. Now those CBS ones, now there you can panic XD

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
derosa said:
There is a potential mix-up as to which episode is actually on this upcoming Scooby compilation set.

The TVSHOWSONDVD news piece originally stated that the episode "Hang in there, Scooby-Doo"
from "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Hour" is listed on this upcoming set. I think a few people (myself
included) emailed them to say that the episode "Hang is there, Scooby-Doo" is from Sept 24, 1977
(from Laff-A-Lympics).

But, here's the thing I didn't realize until now, another episode with almost the same name,
"Hang in there Scooby" aired Nov 22, 1980 as part of the "Richie Rich/Scooby Doo Show".

So here's the thing: Maybe the 1980 short from Richie Rich is what's coming on the next set, and
maybe the "Missing Eight" 1977 episodes are still coming out someday as a set?
Those two episodes are highly confusable based on titles, but i don't think it in any way hampers or increases the odds of that "set" with the missing season 2 of the scooby doo show set coming.

I think the plans are probably separate and what random episodes they pick has little to do with whether they will greenlight the return to season sets or maybe pass them over to WA.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I broke down and purchased both Roman Holidays and the Addams Family (1973) sets from amazon.com. I would have prefer to purchased the sets from amazon.ca, but they are not available.

I respect Lenny weinrib as voice actor and he did some great work. However, i am not sure he was the right choice to do the voice for Gomez. John Astin imho is Gomez and i know there were issues with trying to get him to do the voice work!

Roman Hollidays is a neat show, especially with Dom deluise being included as the voice acting role. I had a hoot with one of the episodes as there was computer dating service. The computer was funny, especially in lieu there were no cars just chariots, lol!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I went ahead and ordered Yogi's Gang in the recent sale. My little girl has become quite the Yogi Bear fan from the Easter Bear special and Yogi's First Chirstmas (which I got at Half Price Books for $5). Hopefully, it does not disappoint.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JoeDoakes said:
I went ahead and ordered Yogi's Gang in the recent sale. My little girl has become quite the Yogi Bear fan from the Easter Bear special and Yogi's First Chirstmas (which I got at Half Price Books for $5). Hopefully, it does not disappoint.
Just as long as she's properly indoctrinated on the original-series set, as well. :)
(Either whole, or now Warner-partitioned into separate mass-market disks, after their fear of 4-disk family boxsets set in.)

Ranger: "Here, Yogi, take this picnic basket, loaded with goodies--Liverwurst sandwiches, pizza pies, ice cream tortonis, hurry!"
Yogi: "Thank you, si--Ice cream what?"
Ranger: "Never mind, just take it!"

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I have a question someone in here should be able to answer. I know i talked to someone in this thread who owns the WHV Plastic Man DVD set. Can someone who has it look at it on the back and take a look to see who is credited as the copyright owner. I was having a conversation about how all the old Ruby Spears series now(or whenever the hell it officially happened, if it was never not this way lol) are credited as being owned by Hanna Barbera in their copyright headers, but he asked me about that one, which i don't own.

So to anyone who has it, what companies is it crediting? DC? Ruby Spears? Hanna Barbera? Something else? XD

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
MattPriceTime said:
I have a question someone in here should be able to answer. I know i talked to someone in this thread who owns the WHV Plastic Man DVD set. Can someone who has it look at it on the back and take a look to see who is credited as the copyright owner. I was having a conversation about how all the old Ruby Spears series now(or whenever the hell it officially happened, if it was never not this way lol) are credited as being owned by Hanna Barbera in their copyright headers, but he asked me about that one, which i don't own.

So to anyone who has it, what companies is it crediting? DC? Ruby Spears? Hanna Barbera? Something else? XD

Plastic Man,and Justice League and all related characters and elements are trademarks of DC Comics. Super Hero is a trademark co owned by DC Comics. Program Compilation is copyrighted Hanna-Barbera. Package Design & Supplementary Material Compilation is copyrighted Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.I do not believe I hae any of the Ruby Spears dvds to check how they do it.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Tory said:
Plastic Man,and Justice League and all related characters and elements are trademarks of DC Comics. Super Hero is a trademark co owned by DC Comics. Program Compilation is copyrighted Hanna-Barbera. Package Design & Supplementary Material Compilation is copyrighted Hanna-Barbera and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.I do not believe I hae any of the Ruby Spears dvds to check how they do it.
Thanks. The others are the same. No mention of RS, but HB. Heathcliff has the addition line for the bigger Heathcliff owner, but Thundarr and Dragon's Lair are the same.

My friend and I were just discussing when we think "they" officially had it done. Not a big deal as what's done is done but curious minds can't help but ponder lol

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
Thanks. The others are the same. No mention of RS, but HB. Heathcliff has the addition line for the bigger Heathcliff owner, but Thundarr and Dragon's Lair are the same.
The Ruby-Spears Superman set is the only RS show I own that actually says
Ruby Spears on it, but it does seem that WB has stopped putting Hanna-Barbera
on RS sets now. Future releases won't be under the HB logos.

Both the newer Centurions and the Silverhawks sets don't have HB banners
on the packaging.

Superman_RubySpears.jpg

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well yes the Centurions and Heathcliff sets don't have the "Hanna Barbera Classics Collection" logo but the sets clearly do still credit Hanna Barbera as copyright owner.

Also i was doing the check on WA's website and i have to ponder something. Why in the world is Yogi and the Space Bears such an outlier in the HB sets. I was doing the check and it as Hb's worst selling archive DVD so far while still selling better than 47% of their products but there are seriously like over 100 items between it and the second worst seller. That's one of the biggest gaps between two HB items. I always liked that one, but i guess a lot of people didn't. I've been watching their best selling algorithm for a while because at first i was skeptical it was any kind of algorithm at all, but i honestly do think it's pretty accurate everything considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks