What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The Yogi Bear theme song plays with a Snagglepuss cartoon, no Yogi or Yakky cartoon. Get this, the Quick Draw open and close plays before and after each Quick Draw cartoon, each Augie Doggie cartoon and each Snooper cartoon. The Quick Draw open and close plays a total of six times each.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm guessing by the sounds of this, it was just a slapped together thing by a more lazy WHV team then. As i had confessed i never really had interest in the set but it's a bit questionable how it's like that. The press release information everyone reported should have been accurate or at least ammended to deal with changes. I'm of course assuming the change was internal, since without evidence the fault could be the news outlets had wrong information. But until the dust settles i guess we should wait to see how it all plays out to be fair to all the parties involved.

But i would say this irons home the fact it's all the more reason we should be happy WA is in discussion of trying to get at least one of the things WHV maintains their way. They've been working on things nice and steadily and getting to stuff. WHV jumps into doing a random set of some of those shows and you end up with this crazy concotion.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow this does sound like a very dissapointing set. It makes me more grateful we have Warner Archive releasing the complete series sets that we want instead of the contunual compilations with lots of double and triple dipping that WHV keeps releasing. If this has poor sales hopefully it will convince them to turn all the HB material over to Warner Archive.
Greg Chenoweth said:
The Yogi Bear theme song plays with a Snagglepuss cartoon, no Yogi or Yakky cartoon. Get this, the Quick Draw open and close plays before and after each Quick Draw cartoon, each Augie Doggie cartoon and each Snooper cartoon. The Quick Draw open and close plays a total of six times each.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
WA has posted on Facebook recently that "Anything involving T&J would be a WHV release at this point"
Also, The WA facebook page don't seem to answer questions about Scooby/Richie Rich either,
likely because it's controlled by WHV.
MattPriceTime said:
It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Where have you read any response from them since the day of mine. On that day they were asked two questions on T&J. One about the Deitch era ones, saying they would come from WHV.

My posting asking if Grape Ape went over to WA, Did Mumbly and The Tom and Jerry segments too? They said nothing was firmed up at that time.

I just checked the page and see nothing else about Tom and Jerry in any form since then. The response to mine is the departure from the quite you have posted, as for months(maybe years) that has been there only comment, as well as on Scooby Doo sets. The fact they didn't respond back that the Tom and Jerry segments weren't still under that strict rule, is why we believe they are in talks. They answer questions openly on the other split apart shows, so i have no doubts they would have just told me, the T&J segments were still WHV if there was no discussions to the contrary (since they talk about the Captain Caveman, Fangface and others segments that used to be a part of shows that WHV still maintains the rest for release)

Since WHV has started Tom and Jerry kids, and Scooby and Smurfs being more popular than what is considered on of T&J's less popular versions, then that is the one they probably went after in talks. If anything i imagine WHV may have released Grape Ape and Mumbly too them but WA is asking for the Tom and Jerry parts so they can do the shows as originally aired instead of the later syndicated.versions. Hence why they say it's not firmed up. If they can they'll do the complete versions or if not then we'll get syndicated Grape Ape and Mumbly. If this becomes the case we will have to wonder if WHV did/will do the same for Dynomutt and the Richie Rich and Puppy seasons combined with Scooby not yet released.

Now if we see them go back to stating everything tom and Jerry will be WHV then we know any "discussions" probably flopped, but there's been no recent update then my question or the one asked by the guy who posted one below me.

And on another note press releases are now up to later in the year. We should be hearing about WHV's next laff-a-lympics plans soon. Since those next games are in early 2014 and press releases naturally come out months in advance to give time for orders, i imagine they will want some form of the show on the market for that olympic season.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

For those who don;t know, the "Missing Eight" are:

The Curse of Viking Lake
Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
Hang in There, Scooby Doo
The Chillder Diller Movie Thriller
The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
The Ozark Witch Switch
The Creepy Cruise
The Creep Heap from the Deep

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats and The Ozark Witch Switch can be found as standalone episode on the two Spookiest Tales compilations. This forthcoming release leaves five to go.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Thanks, I missed the fact that is an episode of ScoobyDoo from the Laff-A-Lympics series
because TVSHOWSONDVD has it identified as from "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Hour"
which isn't right, because it's sort of a made up name, despite being from the wrong show!
Nebiroth said:
TVShowsOnDVD list a forthcoming Scooby Doo set. It's yet another one of those compilation job (this one is called "Run for your Rife" - gettit?) and it includes another of the "Missing Eight" Scooby Doo Show episodes (actually, segments from the Laff-A-Lympics)- Hang in There, Scooby Doo.

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to. Why can;t they just release those eight episodes as a standalone release?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Nebiroth said:

For those who don;t know, the "Missing Eight" are:

The Curse of Viking Lake
Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats
Hang in There, Scooby Doo
The Chillder Diller Movie Thriller
The Spooky Case of the Grand Prix Race
The Ozark Witch Switch
The Creepy Cruise
The Creep Heap from the Deep

Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats and The Ozark Witch Switch can be found as standalone episode on the two Spookiest Tales compilations. This forthcoming release leaves five to go.
Perhaps after they have spread out the cost of the transfer or whatever of each of the missing 8 over 8 crappy compilation dvds, they will release a compilation of the missing 8 that people want.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Nebiroth said:

There's no way I'm buying a whole bunch of compilation discs and doouble-dipping on a bunch of episodes just because Warner want me to.
Likewise, the episode "Snow Job Too Small" (Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo 7-minute short)
is another double dip on the next set. That one was just released on the recent set, "Spooky Tales,
holiday thrills and chills" That set was just like this newly announced set, almost all recycled material.

Only 2 or 3 shorts have been released from "The Scooby and Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour" and WHV is
already double-dipping the same episode on two different sets less than a year apart? Nuts.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'm guessing the ship of WHV doing Scooby sets is probably more sunk again since the window of time since the release of Mask of the Blue Falcon didn't result in them making a move.

So our better hope is that WHV will let WA eventually do them, while they continue to do random episode sets to sell in stores. As we've said enough times till we are blue in the face if WHV can do random sets of other products they sent to WA, would it really hurt anybody to just make MOD of the episodes that they already sell together in digitial downloads for the people that are willing to buy them?

I'm guessing the problem is WHV still sees some market value in those sets whenever they are made could sell in stores because it's Scooby Doo. Of course the fact that they are probably making excellent returns on random episode sets for kids doesn't help in favor of us seeing them do season sets any time soon.

I'm not sure why of all the shows left in WHV's grasp Tom and Jerry Kids was the one for them to return to for HB season sets. But it brings us back to our eventual logic that in a decade or so when WA is releasing the really bottom of the barrell HB shows if we still don't have season sets for those Scooby, Smurf and T&J shows, WHV should clearly see they would sell well enough.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
What's maddening right now is that all these pieces of a puzzle are spread out all over different places, and there really isn't a way for a fan to buy the shows they want, how they want them. Ultimately, MOD would be so great if it was just an online menu of episodes, and we could select the ones we want, and then either download them as digital files to burn to disc, or click 'order disc' and they manufacture it, and ship it to us.

Or, alternatively, just redo the deal with iTunes to allow us to burn downloaded videos to a dvd, just like we can with music.

Almost every episode of Scooby is on iTunes, but I don't want the digital files until i can burn them to a permanent disc.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/tv-season/the-scooby-doo-show-season-2/id254820915
MattPriceTime said:
would it really hurt anybody to just make MOD of the episodes that they already sell together in digitial downloads for the people that are willing to buy them?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
derosa said:
What's maddening right now is that all these pieces of a puzzle are spread out all over different places, and there really isn't a way for a fan to buy the shows they want, how they want them. Ultimately, MOD would be so great if it was just an online menu of episodes, and we could select the ones we want, and then either download them as digital files to burn to disc, or click 'order disc' and they manufacture it, and ship it to us.

Or, alternatively, just redo the deal with iTunes to allow us to burn downloaded videos to a dvd, just like we can with music.

Almost every episode of Scooby is on iTunes, but I don't want the digital files until i can burn them to a permanent disc.

I files off itunes and did indeed burn them to a disc. I also stored them on a thumb drive. or are you talking about downloading them to a dvd formatted optical disc that is playable on any dvd player or Bluray player???

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Yes, i think there are people (like some members here) that don't want only computer files of the shows, they want discs that are playable in any dvd player, and can store permanently without having to manage files.

Personally, I would buy a lot more videos from iTunes, if I was able to burn dvd playable discs from iTunes files.

Towergrove said:
are you talking about downloading them to a dvd formatted optical disc that is playable on any dvd player or Bluray player???

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
If you could do that then you could also make multiple copies. Which is why the studios are pushing streaming rather than downloading so hard - and also why services like iTunes lock you into a format or player.

Amazon, for example, let you actually download a copy of your Kindle books - you have a local, standalone copy. But they only permit this because your Kindle books are in their own proprietry format, which can only be read on Kindle devices...or third party apps which have to be registered with Amazon.

It's DRM, DRM, DRM all the way....

So they are never going to have a system where you can download the episode or movie and then burn it into standard DVD format playable on any player. You could just run off as many copies as you want since DVD copy protection and DRM is extremely weak and has been broken comprehensively for many years.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
derosa said:

I know what was said pages ago on this thread, but I still can't help but wonder if WB is hiding something by not coming out with more complete Scooby sets. The rest of the Movies I understand, but not so much the "lost" 1978 episodes. They could do it on one disc, like the World's Greatest Superfriends. As for the rest, well that's what I meant in the first sentence. I still feel spreading them as bonuses on other discs is a way to get Scrappy episodes out there without having to use him as an advertising point. (BTW have the 1979 episodes made it to Amazon along with the shorts?)
Then again, this just might be a case of "more discs = more money for us."

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
And just tangentially off the subject of Warner/WA 70's-classic Hanna-Barbera boxsets:Why is that OTHER countries seem to have fonder memories of certain 70's HB series than we do? :blink:

(Sorry if it's been posted before, but it's still worthy of applause.)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
JMFabianoRPL said:
I know what was said pages ago on this thread, but I still can't help but wonder if WB is hiding something by not coming out with more complete Scooby sets. The rest of the Movies I understand, but not so much the "lost" 1978 episodes. They could do it on one disc, like the World's Greatest Superfriends. As for the rest, well that's what I meant in the first sentence. I still feel spreading them as bonuses on other discs is a way to get Scrappy episodes out there without having to use him as an advertising point. (BTW have the 1979 episodes made it to Amazon along with the shorts?)
Then again, this just might be a case of "more discs = more money for us."
Yes they have that season available there.

They aren't afraid to sell them, and there not hiding anything in terms of Scrappy. Since those digital downloads clearly have him in the name, on the image and in the description.

Another aspect i don't think we mentioned yet, is that do recall that the random episode sets also can essentially be made forever and ever. They can double dip as much as they want, but in retrospect there are only so many collector season sets they have to do. While it's not a train of thought i agree with, that could be a very important line to look at it from the perspective of how they want to stall it out since Scooby is still popular.

The base line point though that we have all said and agreed to multiple times is that, WHV no doubt as the theoretical plans one day they may go back to do those sets. But none of us really expect that to happen any time soon. The Tom and Jerry kids and Superfriends season sets really did come out of nowhere, so we can have some hope in that regard that we may read the news sometime soon they decided to put out one of those.

Because if WHV didn't have any plans at all that they may one day do them, than everything we know about WB right now dictates WA should have gotten them, which of course this is probably the best option most of us want. But i say we wait and see in a couple months and see how they respond to questions about Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly. Hell if they can get that settled, there could be some more hope some others could flow out. Especially that Dynomutt season that's in limbo.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Yes, any 13 year old kid with a laptop can remove the DRM,
so if someone was interested in making illegal copies, it's easy now.

Itunes is all about selling downloads, not streaming.
Quite a few seasons of Scooby Doo, (Some with Scrappy)
have been out for years on iTunes that aren't on DVD.

They could put software into ITunes that would let you burn
1 or 2 copies of videos purchased and downloaded from Itunes store.
There is a limit now to how many times the music files can be
burned to CD, iTunes could do the same for DVD.

The people who would want to make illegal copies of that kind of disc
could easily do it anyway, just like any store-bought DVD.

I guess what i'm saying is that a legal way to buy downloads you can
burn to DVD is what should be available. Worrying about the sharing
or stealing of those video files is stupid. Anyone who wants to illegally
pirate them can do so in 5 minutes by searching those sites that do
file-sharing. Give us a legal way to buy those files!

As an alternative, a MOD option where you can pick the episodes you
want from a show, buy it from the WA website, they can burn it (with DRM)
and ship it to you would be a great option.
Nebiroth said:
If you could do that then you could also make multiple copies. Which is why the studios are pushing streaming rather than downloading so hard - and also why services like iTunes lock you into a format or player.

It's DRM, DRM, DRM all the way....

So they are never going to have a system where you can download the episode or movie and then burn it into standard DVD format playable on any player. You could just run off as many copies as you want since DVD copy protection and DRM is extremely weak and has been broken comprehensively for many years.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ejanss said:
And just tangentially off the subject of Warner/WA 70's-classic Hanna-Barbera boxsets:Why is that OTHER countries seem to have fonder memories of certain 70's HB series than we do? :blink:

(Sorry if it's been posted before, but it's still worthy of applause.)

That's a five star commercial. Makes me want to buy a Pugeot, especially if real life Penelope comes with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks