What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (3 Viewers)

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
Towergrove said:
These are some of my favourite and most memorable episodes of the series. I'm glad to have bought them today. I wonder if they plan to release the rest of them as we get closer to the Man of Steel theater and home video release?
I really like them too, and the more ridiculous the story the better... I may be alone, but a lot of the appeal of Super Friends for me is laughing how cheesy it gets. I was introduced to the series on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s and I used to laugh my head off. I have no doubt they'll finish the series on dvd now, but who knows when. I just hope they knock it out in a single set.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Lex is also in this series that was just released, in an homage episode to Superman: The Movie (basically). Bizarro also appears outside of Challenge of the Superfriends, both in the '80s shorts and Super Powers Team.

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
Given that Roman Holidays didn't do that good in the polls, I'm surprised it got released already. I hope we get some more GoBots and Mister T soon as it has been two years since the last releases.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Mr. Papagiorgio said:
Given that Roman Holidays didn't do that good in the polls, I'm surprised it got released already. I hope we get some more GoBots and Mister T soon as it has been two years since the last releases.
Roman Hollidays was part of the saturday morning set as such i am not surprised it was released. There are only a few left from saturday morning set, like Tarzan or New Adventurs of Gilligan or Banana Splits.

I am happy that more sets are coming out, but it has been a very slow process. In two months we will be half way through another year and there are still many releases still to come. I plan to get Roman Hollidays, Yogi Gang down the road, but i have to order them from amazon.com as amazon.ca does not sell them due issues with WB archive and Amazon Canada.

I am wondering if Clue Club is next on the list as it was popular in the polls. I also be interested to know what is happening with Banana Splits or these our the day or other shows.

I also like forums like this as i can share my love of cartoons with similar people. I am in my forties and i still love the classic cartoons. I have nearly 50 completed sets now and i usually watch one dvd from my set each weekend. I do take a lot of ribbing from my special lady as she says i am too old for cartoons!! I told her that you never too old for cartoons as all us are still a kid at heart!!

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Them jumping to Roman Holidays wasn't that far of a stretch assuming the ones that finishd ahead of it were also started. The Holdays are no doubt one of the most untouched ones so it would more than likely had a very quick prep time. It was #6 on the second poll. #3 (Hair Bear Bunch) and #4 (Ed Grimley) were released. #2 (Clue Club) is confirmed to have started being worked on. Chances are good then that #1 (New Hanna Barbera Cartoon Series) and #5 (Shirt Tales) are also probably being worked on.
(Others being #7 Fantastic Max #8 Loopy De Loop #9 Wheres Huddles #10 Johnny Cyhper (another non HB/RS outsider))

On the first one: #1 (Chan Clan), #3 (Inch High), #4 (Sky Commanders), #7 (Butch Cassidy) are out. #2 (Marine Boy) is an outsider in it's own section of the library that they seem to have implied was being worked on. #5 (Cave Kids) is a strong candidate for release given that the article out recentlly said more Flintstones releases were coming. #6 (Paddington Bear) i'm not sure of my mind is telling me they said clearance issues but i can't guarentee that off the top of my head, and #8 (Police Academy) was started. PA however according to the best selling algorithm on their website is lower than Mr T and Gobots, so i doubt they have plans to rush to finish that one any time soon.
(Others being #9 Heyy It's the King, #10 Dink the Little DInosaur)

Overall i'm predicting Clue Club is the most likely next release. Could be wrong though, if any of those funny animals or CC get done or Cave Kids is given a quick rush those could come out first.

But at the same time don't forget the Tom and Jerry Kids Season 1 sets come out this week to stores from WHV.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
The only SF season i bought was Challenge as it was the one i really liked, but this is great news for SF fans.

What does this leave missing now for them? I'm assumign the Target volume will end up wide released soon enough, so outside of that, how many more?

And as a tie-in, this bodes well in hopes the Scooby season sets will get to make a return in the future. WHV is on a roll now with returning season sets for WB shows and DC shows. Here's to hoping HB will get to be on that roll too. We already have one set out now in T&JK, let's keep the ball rolling please.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
MattPriceTime said:
The only SF season i bought was Challenge as it was the one i really liked, but this is great news for SF fans.

What does this leave missing now for them? I'm assumign the Target volume will end up wide released soon enough, so outside of that, how many more?

And as a tie-in, this bodes well in hopes the Scooby season sets will get to make a return in the future. WHV is on a roll now with returning season sets for WB shows and DC shows. Here's to hoping HB will get to be on that roll too. We already have one set out now in T&JK, let's keep the ball rolling please.
As mentioned previously, there are two seasons of shorts that remain unreleased from between 1980-1982.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
JMFabianoRPL said:
As mentioned previously, there are two seasons of shorts that remain unreleased from between 1980-1982.
Oops! Make that one! (the 1981 season) I missed the link above.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Well then that's pretty good covering on them. After that they'll probably be going back to think about the other two segments from Plastic Man DC still has soverignty over.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I got the Popeye DVD set from Warner Archive today. I haven't had time to watch it but I can tell you that it is on DVD-R discs, not pressed.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Good Morning everyone. While i don't have firm news, WA gave me a response this morning that might very well be the hint the shoe we have been wanting to drop could be the closest it's ever been.
Can you divulge some information on what is the state now of the Tom&Jerry/GrapeApe/Mumbly show? We fans had been assuming since WB is mostly doing shows as they aired this show would be property of WHV because they maintained the Tom & Jerry shows. But it was not long ago you all said that you are now planning to one day release Grape Ape. Can you tell us if Mumbly is now also allowed to be done via the WA? I assume the Tom and Jerry part is still at WHV, unless of course by some magical whim they sent that your way too? I ask this too because WHV recently put out Tom and Jerry Kids season 1, so i'm curious if they have plans for the rest of Tom and Jerry shows on DVD and just sent Grape Ape and Mumbly your way?
WA: Nothing has been firmed up in this regard at the moment.

It's small but it would appear this is the friendly answer to say THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IT!.The Scooby random episode sets stopped. The Smurfs tie-in sets are just randoms. It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too. If they do that, then the Scoobys and Smurfs could once again be fair game too.

Sometimes it may feel like we're preaching to the choir but quite frankly this could be the shoe we have been waiting to drop. I can't say how many times i posted to people saying one day WHV might realize they could sell those sets through WA, and this seems to imply that day could be coming sooner than later.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattPriceTime said:
The Scooby random episode sets stopped..... It seems to me we have plenty of reason to believe WHV might be having thoughts about sending those season sets they have been holding off to WA. The fact that they didn't say it was set, means to me they are thinking about giving them the T&J part too. If they do that, then the Scoobys and Smurfs could once again be fair game too.

Sometimes it may feel like we're preaching to the choir but quite frankly this could be the shoe we have been waiting to drop. I can't say how many times i posted to people saying one day WHV might realize they could sell those sets through WA, and this seems to imply that day could be coming sooner than later.
Not sure how this fits into your theory, but WHV announced another random Scooby set today:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Scooby-Doo-13-Spooky-Tales-Run-For-Your-Rife/18478

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Remember, Everyone, that released today is BEST OF WARNER BROS: HANNA-BARBERA DVD set with 25 Classic H-B shows represented on the set. It has Ruff and Reddy, Huckleberry Hound, Hokey Wolf, Pixie & Dixie, Yogi Bear, Snagglepuss, Yakky Doodle, Loopy de Loop, Quick Draw McGraw, Super Snooper, Augie Doggie, The Flintstones, Top Cat, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Frankenstein Jr., Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Wally Gator, Lippy & Hardy, Touche Turtle, Cattanooga Cats and Abbott & Costello and much, much more. I forgot Magilla Gorilla and Peter Potamus.

It is available in Target stores nationwide and I am going to pick up my copy today. I'll post comments after perusing the set tonight. This is the first major H-B retail release, besides Scooby Doo and the Smurfs, in a long time. I am really looking forward to it.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Greg Chenoweth said:
I got the Popeye DVD set from Warner Archive today. I haven't had time to watch it but I can tell you that it is on DVD-R discs, not pressed.
But is the quality good?

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
Another random Scooby set means that they are still keeping that line going. Which quite frankly i don't think any of us thought it would stop. It's easy money for WHV. However i say it fits in with the theory overall. Since WHV still released some of those 4 Kids favorite packs of shows that went to WA. Plus as Greg has mentioned there is that Best of Hanna Barbera set now. So both product of random episode retail sets and season sets could easily co-exist.

The fact WHV and WA are talking about one of the parts that have problems about who/when it's coming out to the public. So if WA wins this smaller battle, then it should help bolster an argument for them being able to work on the others.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
JMFabianoRPL said:
But is the quality good?
Yes, it is. The quality is very good. I have been enjoying the set very much. These are the Popeye cartoons that I grew up with and I am surprised at how many I remember from my childhood because I haven't seen them in fifty years. It has the original openings. I remember the King Features logo and Popeye coming out tooting his pipe. The cartoons are about 5 minutes and 40 seconds so they can get a lot of cartoons onto each disc.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Boy, I am so disappointed with this "Best of Warner Bros" set featuring Hanna-Barbera. Even though Huck and Yogi are on the cover there is no cartoons with these two classic characters in this set. There is the Yogi opening theme song but no Yogi cartoon. The advertised cartoon from "The Huckleberry Hound Show" is actually a Hokey Wolf cartoon and that's it.There is no Ruff and Reddy, Lippy the Lion, Wally Gator or Cattanooga Cats. There are two complete Quick Draw episodes including Super Snooper and Augie Doggie which accounts for 6 of the 25 cartoons and these were already released on the Saturday Morning compilations. There are 2 Hokey Wolf cartoons, Loopy de Loop, Flintstones, Top Cat, Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, 2 Peter Potamus cartoons, and the others.This set is nothing like it was advertised to be and I might ask for my money back.I'm posting this at Cartoon Research Facebook page as well.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
That's crazy! Where did the listing come from on the cartoon brew site?
I thought that was officially the content, I wonder what happened?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/warner-bros-anniversary-dvd-set-salutes-hanna-barbera-76903.html
Greg Chenoweth said:
There is no Ruff and Reddy, Lippy the Lion, Wally Gator or Cattanooga Cats. There are two complete Quick Draw episodes including Super Snooper and Augie Doggie which accounts for 6 of the 25 cartoons and these were already released on the Saturday Morning compilations. There are 2 Hokey Wolf cartoons, Loopy de Loop, Flintstones, Top Cat, Jetsons, Magilla Gorilla, 2 Peter Potamus cartoons, and the others.
This set is nothing like it was advertised to be and I might ask for my money back.
I'm posting this at Cartoon Research Facebook page as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks