What's new

Next Hanna-Barbera set? (2 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Towergrove said:
The folks over at Warner Archive have indicated in recent Facebook postings that there is more Hanna B coming so lets hope its soon. It seems that recently every other week they are releasing an animated production. This week it was Young Justice. Lets see what happens in a few weeks.
I really hope the boys at WAC will follow up on the Popeye & Friends anthology collections by releasing select episodes from season 3 of The All-New Popeye Hour as well as its half-hour successor series, The Popeye & Olive Comedy Show.

~Ben

Real Name
Chris
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
I really hope the boys at WAC will follow up on the Popeye & Friends anthology collections by releasing select episodes from season 3 of The All-New Popeye Hour as well as its half-hour successor series, The Popeye & Olive Comedy Show.

~Ben
I really hope they'll complete the Huckleberry hound and yogi bear collection, and also release Hokey Wolf.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Towergrove said:
The folks over at Warner Archive have indicated in recent Facebook postings that there is more Hanna B coming so lets hope its soon. It seems that recently every other week they are releasing an animated production. This week it was Young Justice. Lets see what happens in a few weeks.
Hi Towergrove,

I am not doubt that WB is doing their best to released HB as they have said over and over again they plan to released the vault. One has to think there is lots of work with cleaning up the prints as such that is why it has taken so long to released various shows to dvd.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
younger1968 said:
Hi Towergrove,

I am not doubt that WB is doing their best to released HB as they have said over and over again they plan to released the vault. One has to think there is lots of work with cleaning up the prints as such that is why it has taken so long to released various shows to dvd.
Other points to consider: work-for-hire and general consumer desire. The former of the two is most dreadful.

~Ben

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
younger1968 said:
Hi Towergrove,

I know. They have slowed down the output recently but what they are releasing recently has been very good quality. The video has looked very good on recent discs. They are putting good effort in some restoration I believe.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Towergrove said:
I know. They have slowed down the output recently but what they are releasing recently has been very good quality. The video has looked very good on recent discs. They are putting good effort in some restoration I believe.
I know the work they did for Space Stars (1981) was outstanding, adding in the extras that didn't make it onto the original NBC broadcast. So just wait it out for what they plan to release next, and things should look up.

~Ben

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
What I fear most about Warner Archive is the possibility of them shelving any future Hanna-Barbera DVD releases due to possible unforeseen financial losses and resulting staff cuts.

~Ben
Have the unforeseen financial losses actually occurred or are they still unforeseen?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
JoeDoakes said:
Have the unforeseen financial losses actually occurred or are they still unforeseen?
I don't think we have any way of knowing this. At some point, digital distribution is more cost efficient, but as we know current collectors still like physical media. What is true, in the general, is that DVD sales continue to fall, down almost 10% again last year. Fewer and fewer portable devices have a disc drive. It seems that eventually the DVD will become a format that sees less titles being offered. The reality is, many of the titles on MOD would never have been offered for wide release. On the other hand, on-line retailers don't have shelf display issues like stores do, so as long as Amazon and other want to keep offering discs, they will. It's a complicated topic. If it were not for the age of the animation collector, and their stubbornness to adopt downloads, we likely would have seen a different service than MOD already. Personally, i'm surprised it's made it this far.

article:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304887104579306440621142958

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
derosa said:
I don't think we have any way of knowing this. At some point, digital distribution is more cost efficient, but as we know current collectors still like physical media. What is true, in the general, is that DVD sales continue to fall, down almost 10% again last year. Fewer and fewer portable devices have a disc drive. It seems that eventually the DVD will become a format that sees less titles being offered. The reality is, many of the titles on MOD would never have been offered for wide release. On the other hand, on-line retailers don't have shelf display issues like stores do, so as long as Amazon and other want to keep offering discs, they will. It's a complicated topic. If it were not for the age of the animation collector, and their stubbornness to adopt downloads, we likely would have seen a different service than MOD already. Personally, i'm surprised it's made it this far.

article:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304887104579306440621142958
The reason I asked the question is because the post to which I responded sounded as if there had been some recent news of losses at WA ("what I fear most"). If his point is only hypothetical, then I am not worried at all about it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For the select few of you here who are fans of The Super Globetrotters, anyone who wants to know when a DVD release will occur, don't expect it right away: as of July 21, the boys at Warner Archive told me they were still "working on it" so they do not yet have a release timetable. They still want to gather all the best film elements as possible before they can decide on it. Try to leave them alone until any new information about its release or postponement is disclosed.

In an effort to clear things up, if you all want to know where I originally found mention of this, it was in this link:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/hanna-barbera/discuss/72157643335177284/

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
JoeDoakes said:
The reason I asked the question is because the post to which I responded sounded as if there had been some recent news of losses at WA ("what I fear most"). If his point is only hypothetical, then I am not worried at all about it.
Of course it was hypothetical.

~Ben

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am watching Wait Till Your Father Gets Home S1 on dvd. I hope that S2 and S3 of Waill Till Your Gets Home is released to dvd. The show was funny, especially Tom Bosley as Harry Boyle.

I also like Ralph the neighbor as he was funny, especially Sargeant Whitaker!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
Of course it was hypothetical.

~Ben
Great to know. Sorry if I am a bit slow on the uptake. I'll be happy to buy Superglobetrotters, but I wish something could be done with Paramount about the prior series.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
Of course it was hypothetical.~Ben
Hi Ben so was there any metion of Warner Archives losses because everything i have red and friends who are industry insiders tell me that the archives are a grest success and that the HB animation output, which is most of the animated releases are some of the most popular sales wise.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Towergrove said:
Hi Ben so was there any metion of Warner Archives losses because everything i have red and friends who are industry insiders tell me that the archives are a grest success and that the HB animation output, which is most of the animated releases are some of the most popular sales wise.
It's remarkable how the things that delight you as a child stick with you your entire life. The Batman tv show really benefits from that. BTW: my 4 and 7 year old were watching season 6 of the Flintstones last night and loved it. Yes-Yes-Yes, No-No-No.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Towergrove said:
Obviously not. . . I also hope not.

~Ben

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Past two nights I have watched Sealab 2020 as tribute to a very good show. I really like the plots along with characterization. The show reminded me of City beneath city meets Jacques Cousteau. The show view of the species that live in ocean and how they survive was a great characterization of the show!!

Next week I plan to watched another show from my collection, like Speed Buggy!!

Nothing beats classic HB cartoons!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks