What's new

Next Austin meet - June/July? (1 Viewer)

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
So it looks like the next meet will be at my house (in Lago Vista) on Saturday the 13th and we will be doing a pre/pro comparison (and maybe some cable tests thrown in) of different equipment for 2 channel and 5.1 channel. We will use the back bedroom for the 2 channel tests and the Living room for 5.1 channel tests.

So, now I need to know who is going to attend and how many will be in your party (the more the merrier) so I can make plans for food.

How about we do the lunch thing at my place?

If anyone needs to set up equipment early, they are welcome to come over that morning (anytime on or after 9 AM) to get a head start.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Frederick,

What kind of display device will we have to go with the 5.1 tests? Projector? RPTV? Is there a maximum height the center channel needs to stay under in order to avoid interfering with the picture? Also, what are the dimensions of the room, and is it acoustically treated? Not trying to be nosey, just want to make sure we bring the right speaker setup.

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Jonathan,

I have a Sony KV-36XBR400 TV that has been professionaly calibrated. The center channel is mounted above the TV set with the left and right speakers to the outside of the entertainment center. You can look at my equipment list for further details on the electronics.

We can use either my set or if someone wants to bring a projector and screen, we can use that instead. The main LR is carpeted and has a 16 foot vaulted ceiling. I have heavy drapes on one side running the length of the wall and a book shelf on the other half wall to block reflections there. The only problem spot is my reef aquarium but I plan on putting something in front of it to diffuse the sound and kill any reflections off of the side of the tank.

If you, or anyone else, want to come over prior to the meet and see what we can do for room accoustics/treatments, I am all for it. I will also try to get some new pictures and exact dimensions of the rooms to post on here as soon as possible.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
As the TCU ex in Tin Cup said, "I'm in!". Saturday, July 13 at Frederick's. I'll bring my new Outlaw 950 pre/pro and Acurus 200X3 amp (haven't had time to hook them up yet!). I may have time to make some interconnects and a D-I-Y power cord to bring along.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I can throw in an Adcom GFA-7400 if we need more amplification. 100x5@8

A projector would be nice, as the speaker system we're bringing is not shielded. I would feel awful if we got too close to Frederick's tv and messed up his CRT.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I'm a newbie this group but I'd like to come out the showdown. Will there be any e-mails or posting on where/what time?

-Mike...

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Greetings Mike and welcome.
If you have not done so already, on your next post to this thread, check the "email notification" check box and any time someone posts to this thread, you will get an email that they posted along with the message body of the post. Very handy in that you do not need to keep checking the thread to see if anyone has posted lately.
Colin will add you to our email list for this area and so you can receive messages in the future.
This coming meet will be at my house which is located on the northwest end of Lake Travis in the sleepy little town of Lago Vista. We will provide maps to those that RSVP.
The meet will be on Saturday, July 13th and we will start lunch at around 11:30 AM and the meet will last until my wife kicks us out. Anyone with gear that wants to set up early is invited to show up between 9 AM and 11 AM to give us time to decide which room we want to use for each system.
Check my equipment list for the types of speakers I have and if anyone is willing to haul some additional speakers out for the test, I at least would like to compare my Polks to some higher level speakers. I do have a Polk PSW450 subwoofer and would like additional subs for comparison.
I have recently purchased for my church a Crown CE1000 amplifier and a pair of M-audio powered studio speakers and powered subwoofer that I would be willing to throw into the mix just for grins.
I am looking forward to having you all over again and this gives me an excuse to get some things done that have been put off.:D

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Frederick I would delete your address info if I were you.

You never know who could be lurking, especially when you have what equipment you own posted on here as well.

mike just email Colin Dunn and when directions are sent he just sends out a mass email to all those who have RSVP which contains all pertinent info. Then just check back here for any last minute changes, if any.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I am planning on attending with Theta Casa Nova and Tara Labs D-2 digital cable in hand.

Jonathan how will you want the system set-up for the speakers?
fullrange, xover, etc. If crossover is needed we will need to set it at 80Hz so that all processors will be set up the same, unless all of them are more flexible than that.

I think for the meet we should also designate 4-6 listeners as primary listeners meaning they get the best seats for the majority of the time. These 4-6 will also have to be taking notes.

Then, we should probably have 1-2 others be the set-up guys. Before the test begins all processors will need to be programmed to operate the same through a digital input and 5.1 single ended output, then the set-up guys will randomly switch between processors. During the switch the room should empty, so no one can see which one is being installed. This way the set-up guys could also properly SPL balance the system to the same testing level. Finally before letting everyone back in they cover the processor up.

Set-up guys and everyone else will be free to take notes, but I think the tests have got to cater to a set number of listeners. Then at end of testing, the primary listeners will share their notes on each numbered contestant, before revealing what was what.

How does this sound as a testing plan?

Of course we still need to develop a play list to use on each contestant.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
We are hoping to bring two different speaker systems, one with floor standing mains that will not require subs and one setup with six identical stand mount speakers and a subwoofer. I can't guarantee the floor standers will be done in time, but we will definitely be there with the six stand mounters.

An 80Hz crossover setting is perfect, however some of the pros might not be able to accomodate that.

Scott, your testing method sounds good to me, perhaps we could run the tests twice to give more people the opportunity to be a preferred listener.

Okay, so far we have the following equipment:

Pre/pros:
Outlaw 950
Theta Casa Nova
Acurus ACT3? (Come on Greg)

Amps:
Acurus 200x3
Adcom 100x5

Speakers:
Mirus Audio Initium 6.1
Mirus Audio Fortis
Hayenga HDS
Polk Audio setup
M-Audio monitors

Source:
Sony DVP-S9000ES Progressive Scan DVD & SACD Player

Display:
Sony 36" XBR

Who's gonna offer up another pre/pro? Rotel, Lexicon, Meridian, Sunfire, come on people, get in the game! I think we're good to go on everything else.

Can't wait!
Jonathan

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Another thing on the testing is that I think we have to keep the speakers the same and the amps and so on and so on for at least all of the legitimate testing. Afterwards we can plug in other speaker systems and take a listen to them. But the only variable we should change during the testing is the processor itself.

Colin, you bringing your Classe?
Greg, the Acurus?
It would be really cool with those two and the Theta and Outlaw.
Anybody else own any other processors?

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Frederick:

Thanks for the address/time info... I copied it down in case you wanted to edit it out of your post... I'm not too comfortable with posting my address on any Message Board...

I sent an e-mail to Colin last week so I should be on the mailing list.

I'm really looking forward to this! It'll be refreshing to be able to listen to some different equipment and do comparisons without a salesperson hovering around... Even though I've found a few dealers who are pretty cool about letting you "hang out" for a few hours, I always feel a little self-conscious taking over one of their listening rooms knowing that I'm not about to buy anything.

-Mike...

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Thanks Jonathan for the advise. I have edited out my address and will have Colin send maps to those that RSVP.
I have a Crown CE1000 amplifier that is two channel that I can throw into the mix. My main processor is not a pre/pro so I am not planning on using it. I also have a Rane SAC 22 Stereo crossover (but it only has XLR balanced in/outs) that we could use. The M-Audio speakers have their own built-in amplifier that runs on balanced/low impedence inputs (either TRS or XLR) so we can hook these up directly to a Pre prosessor that has balanced/XLR outputs.
I am using Optical cables on my Sony 9000 so I will need someone else to bring a nice set of digital coaxial cables to use if we don't want to use optical. Anyone?
I am removing the bed from the back bedroom and putting the leather couch in there for a listening position. It will be in the main "sweet spot" for two listeners. I can also setup a couple of chairs but I think that each listening group should be small as that room is not that large. Someone will also need to bring room accoustical treatments to kill the wall reflections as there is nothing in that room to kill refelections except carpet and couch. Hint: Someone bring some of those things we built at Hank's place from the last meet.
I sure we can find something for the others to do while each listening group is doing their evaluation. :D
I also have a Radio Shack SPL analog meter we can use for calibration.
Now, what do you want to do for lunch? Does anyone have a food allergy that I need to know about? Email me with any specific requests.
As far as drinks are concerned, I have no problem with someone drinking beer or wine, HOWEVER, you must know that you will be driving on Hwy 1431 which is extremely hilly and curvy and there is no room for making a mistake on that road. I know because I am a volunteer EMT/Firefighter for the Lago Vista Fire/Rescue and I have worked some pretty bad wrecks on that road. :frowning: I highly suggest you either limit your intake or plan on spending the night in Lago.
If you haven't done so already, please get your name in so we get an idea of how much food to prepare.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Like I said I will bring a Tara Labs D-2 digital coaxial cable 1.5m in length
Frederick,
Whatever is easiest for you in terms of cooking I am sure will be cool with us. Are you planning on grilling outdoors?
Here is some suggestions just in case you are drawing blanks:
Hot Dogs :)
Hamburgers;)
Buffalo Wings :p)
Chicken :D
Apple Pie
BBQ Ribs
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Just a few :b
Of course I am kidding, it's all good to me.
What can the rest of us chip in to help out on the food end?

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Mike -

I added you to the mailing list last week and sent you an E-mail. If you didn't get that message, let me know, because I replied to the address you used to send me the message. Because details of the meet are being worked out, I didn't blast out an announcement just yet. I'll send out the official announcement to the whole list in a week or two...

Scott -

I can bring my Classé pre-pro to the meet if it's needed...

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Wow I take a little breather to watch some flicks and take the family away for a few days and look at this thread.
Sure count me in. I will bring along the ACT-3 Pro.
Later
Greg

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I just blasted out an official announcement for the meet, since we've settled on July 13. So far, these people have RSVPed...

Frederick Falk (host)
Hank Frankenberg
Mark Hayenga
Scott Oliver
Greg Risley
Jonathan Atkins
Colin Dunn

Mike Decock / Henry Carmona - if you plan on coming to Austin for the July 13 meet, please send an RSVP either to Frederick Falk or to myself.

Jonathan Atkins - since you're going to bring Mirus Audio speakers, does that mean Scott Hinson also plans on coming to the meet? I don't have Scott Hinson's E-mail address on file, so I can't ask him directly...

Everyone - If you plan on being at the meet but haven't posted in this thread or RSVPed yet, please let me know. Frederick needs a guest list to figure out food / activities for the day...

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I am really hoping to make this meet, and should know in the next couple of days.

Since my wife will be home with the kid, I would be limited as to what I could bring, if any of it is needed.

Electrocompaniet 2 channel amp
Sonus faber Concertino Home's (I can't lug the GP's)
Couple of different speaker cables(Audioquest, Goertz, Zu)
Digital cable (Kimber)

Hi there
Was wondering if these test processors will be DTS capable? I have some test disks and Movie Soundtracks with Jet Planes, Trains, Shuttle Launches, etc. Plus some DTS music cds. Of course...my attendence is cicumstance dependent :) Any snakes or scorpions for funsies?
Rodney D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks