What's new

NewsRadio DELAYED! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm *really* super-shocked that noone here is talking about this yet. I figured it would be all over the HTF within an hour after I posted this yesterday afternoon:

I have no idea what the hold-up is. It could be for more content, to re-tool the release in some other way, for a license issue, for lack of availability of factory space, or for just needing more time to finish up what's already been announced. I have no idea what the heck the problem is, and the folks at Columbia I called to ask could not tell me, either. Sorry, guys! :frowning: I know you're all anxious for this one, but I was assured that it WILL return to the schedule. Right now they just don't know when. It doesn't sound like it will be a long delay, though. He says, hoping that turns out to be the case.

All I can say is, "Noooooooo." As long as it's a change for the better, I guess I can make do but what will I do without my Phil Hartman fix :frowning:

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
While expanding from 3 discs to 4 would likely boost image quality and/or allow more supplemental material, it would also likely raise the purchase price. I just hope that this set can be priced low enough to encourage sales outside the show's cult fan base. Otherwise I'm afraid we'll never see Seasons 3-5.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Would Phil Hartman's estate have any say in the matter that would cause the delay, or even have reason to delay it?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm bummed that this is going to be delayed, even though it does free up some money on Feb. 3, I just hope the delay is not a long one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Haden, interesting thought about Hartman's estate. I hadn't considered it. But I doubt they have the ability to be a show-stopper on this, in all honesty.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I am so pissed at this news. I hate the date circled on the calendar for my most anticipated DVD of the year...and they pull it away from me as it gets close...they better not cancel it, I would never get over it.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I have no words to describe how upset this makes me. My #1 most looked forward to dvd ever since I got a dvd player.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet, so: There was a post on alt.tv.newsradio from someone who runs a NewsRadio newsletter; she's had reliable information in the past, and now she has reliable information that the DVD delay is actually good news. Here's her post (the "Grand Poobah" referred to is series creator Paul Simms, who emailed her):

As most of you know, the first two seasons of NewsRadio were due to be released on DVD in February. The release date has been delayed, but I have it on good authority that this is a positive thing.

From the Grand Poobah himself: "The DVD was originally scheduled to be released by Sony in February 2004. However, due to a clerical error of some kind, no one at Sony told me about this. The February release was to have been a bare-bones, just-the-episodes package, which was disappointing, as I'd always planned on trying to put together a commentary-laden, extra-features-filled DVD release -- and a February release wouldn't give us enough time to do that. Fortunately, the people at Sony turned out to be good guys, and once we discussed it, they found a way to delay the DVDs until we could put together something special."

The really cool part is that your suggestions could become part of the final product! I've been instructed to collect these suggestions, so e-mail them over to [email protected]. (Please put "NewsRadio" somewhere in the subject line.)

"Here are some of the things we're considering:
-- Commentary on the episodes by cast members, writers, a director or two, and any other interesting people I can think of. Any ideas? -- Behind-the-scenes footage (although I think I have more behind the scenes footage from Seasons 3+4)
-- End of the season "Blooper Reels."
-- Maybe -- even though I always find it a little difficult to read text on a TV screen -- a few first drafts of scripts, and then middle drafts, and then shooting drafts, and then "as-broadcast" drafts. So that people who are interested in that sort of thing can see how -- and how much -- the scripts changed over the course of a week.
-- If I can locate them (and the relevant parties aren't too
embarassed by them) a few of the original audition tapes."

Forward this message to anybody who might be interested in getting their 2 cents in, or just wants to know why they won't be getting their DVDs in February. Thanks, everybody!

Happy Holidays from the NewsRadio Newsletter. :)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
GREAT news if true.
It's nice to see that Columbia is putting time into making extras for their releases (like The Critic).

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
-- Maybe -- even though I always find it a little difficult to read text on a TV screen -- a few first drafts of scripts, and then middle drafts, and then shooting drafts, and then "as-broadcast" drafts. So that people who are interested in that sort of thing can see how -- and how much -- the scripts changed over the course of a week.
They could include them as PDF files on the DVD. That way you could read them on your computer screen instead of the TV screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks